Bigger Phantom

Reaction score
The only thing I don't like about the Phantom is its size. If DJI would make the Phantom at least 10% bigger, I would be first in line to buy it. Probably cost about 2 grand, but it would be worth it for me.

rwalt said:
The only thing I don't like about the Phantom is its size. If DJI would make the Phantom at least 10% bigger, I would be first in line to buy it. Probably cost about 2 grand, but it would be worth it for me.

So why no buy another one of the larger DJI platforms?? This was meant as an entry level quadcopter to attract new flyers. I'm glad the $2,000 is good with you but it would not attract new flyers. Just saying.

The other platforms don't have the sleek look and design of the Phantom, the others look undone, not complete and not as aerodynamic.

Get a CAD program design a shell 10% larger, then have shapeways make it for you. I personally like the size of the phantom, easier for me to transport and does the job I intend it for.

Heck design a shell for the Flame wheel 450 and I bet you'd sell a bunch of them......

BruceTS said:
Get a CAD program design a shell 10% larger, then have shapeways make it for you. I personally like the size of the phantom, easier for me to transport and does the job I intend it for.

Heck design a shell for the Flame wheel 450 and I bet you'd sell a bunch of them......

Hmm, interesting. 3D printing, I heard about that, but never really paid attention. Shapeways.com, very interesting, thanks for the info.

I agree with all you guys..

The Phantom is a nice little compact size, looks great, fits in a carrying case and travels well, slap on a gopro and you can have fun.

But then when you start accessorizing you realize the limitations of a smaller frame. (as well as the hassle of pulling out the USB cable!@)
- 3d party batteries barely fit, (and larger batteries are impossible) barely enough room underneath to attach a gimbal and FPV,etc.

In hindsight, I kind of wish i had done my research and started out with a F450, .. tho those can't fit in a travel case too easily and don't look nearly as clean. But the Phantom was still a great copter to start off with.
Now that I do know what I'm doing, .perhaps i'll build something bigger and more capable.

3D printing a Phantom shell on Shapeways would cost more than a new Phantom...

You could make a F450 or F550 look pretty sleek like the Phantom. This has a lexan HubCap...
F550_01.jpg

Gizmo3000 said:
I agree with all you guys..

The Phantom is a nice little compact size, looks great, fits in a carrying case and travels well, slap on a gopro and you can have fun.

But then when you start accessorizing you realize the limitations of a smaller frame. (as well as the hassle of pulling out the USB cable!@)
- 3d party batteries barely fit, (and larger batteries are impossible) barely enough room underneath to attach a gimbal and FPV,etc.

In hindsight, I kind of wish i had done my research and started out with a F450, .. tho those can't fit in a travel case too easily and don't look nearly as clean. But the Phantom was still a great copter to start off with.
Now that I do know what I'm doing, .perhaps i'll build something bigger and more capable.

I can fit any sixe gimbal or any size battery on my Phantom :)
Simensays_TV3_addons_02.jpg

Yes it does, 12min flying time with that set up. That set up weights about 1250g, which is about 50g more than what DJi has set as the max take off weight for the Phantom, In the old manual, it said 1000g, buuut they changed it now, as they are about to release their new gimbal (weight still unknown).

That said, I do not really fly much using dual batteries. The pics was take to show how easy I could mount various gear to my Phantom using the Landing Gear & Add-On kit. I usually fly one batt, simple gimbal and GoPro at about 1040g...

simensays_ao_1.jpg

simensays_ao_3.jpg

simensays said:
Yes it does, 12min flying time with that set up. That set up weights about 1250g, which is about 50g more than what DJi has set as the max take off weight for the Phantom, In the old manual, it said 1000g, buuut they changed it now, as they are about to release their new gimbal (weight still unknown).

That said, I do not really fly much using dual batteries. The pics was take to show how easy I could mount various gear to my Phantom using the Landing Gear & Add-On kit. I usually fly one batt, simple gimbal and GoPro at about 1040g...

simensays_ao_1.jpg

simensays_ao_3.jpg

What landing gear is that and where from?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav