Big Sur & Bixby Creek Bridge - Threading the needle

Reaction score
Here is my latest video. I shot this in one morning using my phantom 2 v2, zenmuse H3-3D, GoPro Hero4 Black, immersionRC TX and black pearl monitor. The wind was heavy, as I was driving down the weather report on the radio called for 60mph gusts. I never experience it that heavy, but it was definitely in the 20-30mph gust zone when I was flying. Made for quite a challenge it keeping it steady when doing some more risky flying! Be sure to at least watch 30 seconds into the video... You won't be disappointed Let me know what you think! Thanks for watching!

http://youtu.be/TULj_ZbvS80
[youtube]http://youtu.be/TULj_ZbvS80[/youtube]

Cool. I have a video at some of the same spots. I didn't fly from behind the bridge and now wish I had tried that angle. I wouldn't attempt to thread the needle though lol. Did you fly with goggles?
I find that using my FPV monitor sometimes I get closer to objects than I expect when I review my video later as I did flying through the rotating blades at a windfarm.
thanks for sharing this.

Great stuff. Pro Quality. Loved the music as well. What was the farthest away were you from the bird?

Prylar Bek said:
Great stuff. Pro Quality. Loved the music as well. What was the farthest away were you from the bird?

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it!

Once out on the other side of the bridge I was about 300-500m away. Some of the other shots, like the long pull back from the ocean to the u in the road were most like 800-1200m if I remember correctly. Definitely far enough I lost visual when it crossed paths with a cloud.

WOW. Impressive. Thru the keyhole was definitely life changing no doubt!

I am hoping to drive the PCH in Sept and bring my P2V+ with me. Hope to get 1/2 the quality shots you got!!!

StangLuvr said:
I am hoping to drive the PCH in Sept and bring my P2V+ with me. Hope to get 1/2 the quality shots you got!!!

Start in Carmel/Monterey if you can and head south. You may never make it to SoCal as that part of the coast is spectacular~!

You are a much better pilot than me I've gotten bold enough now to go more than halfway across the Hudson (perilous with all the copters above and birds below) but relying solely on fpv through a bridge? You got juevos and an excellent setup with I hope no lag.

donkclarke said:
Superb.
Being new to this, how did you pull off the backwards manoeuvre through the bridge being so far away?

Thanks. Even though I was far away, I still could see the copter. It was just a spec, but just enough to be able to tell exactly how to guide it through. I held my fpv monitor up, so I could see both the copter and the monitor at the same time. Once I could see I was through the bridge on my fpv monitor, I focused on that completely to try and keep it smooth and get the shot I wanted.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl