Big problems updating controller firmware

Reaction score
So I updated the aircraft firmware to the current version 1.3.20 with no problems whatsoever. Then I tried to update the controller but it's giving me fits. First tried putting the sd card into the controller but it never found it so i tried it by connecting the controller to the aircraft, same results, didn't find it. I then hooked up my nexus tablet to the controller and clicked on the "update required" button and it downloaded and then they contortI installed it and everything seemed to work perfectly. When I restarted the controller I got the same message that the firmware needed updating so i tried it again and got an error that I needed version 1.3.20 and the current version is 1.3.20!' How is that possible? Anyone have any fixes?

What does the TXT file show?

A text file on the sd card? It doesn't generate one. When I looked at the card after it still just has the bin file on it. I'm kind of new at this but I think that's what you mean. The txt file on the card after I updated the aircraft said "success"

If you did not see a TXT file, then it did not attempt to install the firmware. Try following these steps exactly:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/how-to-install-phantom-3-firmware-if-using-dji-go.50065
yup, did EXACTLY that, many, many times. Same procedure as the aircraft and that update went great. It's lie the controller doesn't recognize the card and I've tried three different cards. I know the USB port is good on the controller because it links up with my tablet just fine. This is very perplexing.

I thought someone said that if you have the 300B controller that DJI said the update won't take on that due to some issue.

I am currently experiencing the same issue with my Phantom 3 Professional and have been able to successfully updated the aircraft however been repeatedly unsuccessful updating the controller. It will download the update file but it will not apply it. It just says "Update Failed". The controller has a green light on, so I assumed it is already good to go. Unfortunately not. Have tried doing the controller firmware update via USB key, via USB connection to the P3 gimbal but it does not even recognize it, let alone apply it. I'm currently in queue on DJI's tech support chat which I expect to do virtually nothing at all for me but it's worth a try.

My controller (as a few have suggested) is GL300B. However when the DJI pilot app is running it says that an update is required... and we're back again in this bout of cyclical redundancy. Exhausting to say the least.

Wish there was a hard reset on the controller or a way to connect it directly to your c omputer and make the necessary updates/upgrades (hell, even downgrades at this point)

Thanks for that Tungz, PLEASE let me know what they tell you. I sent an email to dji about that too. The light is green on my controller too and it seems to talk to the aircraft well but I won't fly it like this.

I am currently experiencing the same issue with my Phantom 3 Professional and have been able to successfully updated the aircraft however been repeatedly unsuccessful updating the controller. It will download the update file but it will not apply it. It just says "Update Failed". The controller has a green light on, so I assumed it is already good to go. Unfortunately not. Have tried doing the controller firmware update via USB key, via USB connection to the P3 gimbal but it does not even recognize it, let alone apply it. I'm currently in queue on DJI's tech support chat which I expect to do virtually nothing at all for me but it's worth a try.

My controller (as a few have suggested) is GL300B. However when the DJI pilot app is running it says that an update is required... and we're back again in this bout of cyclical redundancy. Exhausting to say the least.

Wish there was a hard reset on the controller or a way to connect it directly to your c omputer and make the necessary updates/upgrades (hell, even downgrades at this point)
Check this thread carefully-- two bad card readers here causing the issue

http://www.phantompilots.com/thread...l-firmware-update-problems.50256/#post-476361

Had the exact same RC update problem you're experiencing with my 2 week old P3P. The solution is: We have the newer GL300B controller and they update through the djiGo app. The firmware update instruction PDF included in FW v1.3.20 has changed significantly in the controller section. Follow those instructions exactly and it should work. Mine did yesterday.

I cannot use the DJI Go app because they do not currently have it available for Android. I've literally been in queue for their touted "24 hour technical support"... I just didn't realize that I had to wait twenty four hours for said support. It's ludicrous, I've been waiting since 7 p.m. ... it's now almost 3:30 a.m. --- I went from "# in line" to "We are coming to you soon..." suffixed by a counter that seems to go on indefinitely.

OK, to reply to the one post, it might be the card reader but I also put the bin file on two different USB sticks and it recognized neither of them. To answer the second post. Mine DID update properly when I connected my nexus 7 tablet but they problem is that whenever I use the controller now it's flashing red that I need a an update when right in the error message it says I have the current version on the controller. So I'm thinking everything is up to date but the software on the tablet isn't eliminating the error message.

Last edited:
Guys, Use the USB cable that comes with your P3. After you have updated the AC, Remove the SD card and verify that the AC update has success on txt file. Delete the txt file but not the firmware bin file. Place SD card back in AC. Plug the USB mni side of your cord into the gimbal port. The other in into your RC. Power on the AC, wait 10 seconds, then power on your RC. Wait about 60 seconds for the RC to start it's update. That's it. Worked for me like a charm. Good luck!

Nope....waiting 5 minutes, nothing happened. The light on the RC remained green the entire time....
The DJI Go app for android was re-least today. Have you upgraded to it yet? Or are you on IOS and have already ran the rc requires update error to update.

That's the problem. I originally ran the update with my android trough the app connected to the rc. It ran just fine but I kept getting the notification that I needed to run the update even though the app said I had the most current version. I just bought an apple mini 2 and when I connected that I didn't get any notification that I needed an upgrade but the firmware version on the app was listed as "unknown"

I got my replacement Nvidia Shield from the recall, so decided to update FW. Got success txt on AC, connected tablet to controller after downloading dji go app. Tuned on app then controller instructions said to then go back and press Equipment button and that should take me to the camera view. Nothing happens when I tap on the equipment button. Tried several times and reinstalled go app. Dji do app is suppose to be compatible. Everything worked great with old tablet. Can I own grade software and dji pilot?

Sorry I didn't get a chance to update, I can't lie. I've been busy flying. Long story short, I brought it back to the hobby shop I purchased it from, they conducted a bunch of 'tests' and after a few days deliberation came to the conclusion that the controller was defective, or for whatever reason was not able to bind with the craft. They received a swap out from DJI in a week. I have not even received an email response from DJI (Going on three weeks now).

That's the problem. I originally ran the update with my android trough the app connected to the rc. It ran just fine but I kept getting the notification that I needed to run the update even though the app said I had the most current version. I just bought an apple mini 2 and when I connected that I didn't get any notification that I needed an upgrade but the firmware version on the app was listed as "unknown"
Hi ecarfar, have you resolve the RC firmware update problem? I am facing the same problem, have tried all the possible way to update and confirm the firmware version but no success.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl