Big island of Hawaii, best way to see it!

Reaction score
Christmas week all over the Big Island of Hawaii. Hard to find great places to fly without people, huge wind, crazy salt spray or crashing into trees. The unfriendly and extensive lava fields are made for flying over, it's too dangerous to walk with collapsing lava tubes and razor sharp edges. And historic or natural areas that don't let visitors in, no problem flying over them though! I did get caught in some salt spray that coated the gimbal and gopro, shorting out both. I wiped clean the gopro and phantom, washed the gimbal in fresh water and dried it out. Everything is fine although I lost two days of flying. I brought the rig to the top of Mauna Kea, over 14,000 feet above sea level, bitter cold and very windy. I thought it would be interesting to see if I could enough lift at only 60% of atmospheric pressure but the lack of oxygen muddles your judgement and slows the reflexes, so maybe the high winds saved me from losing my rig.

Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/niMCuKgXpAI

Beautiful. Well done!
I hope I dare doing this in August when I go there....

P

I took the props off and it readily packed in my bag. The lipos in my carryon had no hassle at security as they were for photography, that kept things simple.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31