Big Bear Lake, Ca. YES we can fly!

Reaction score
Hi everyone, new user to this forum. I will be heading out to Big Bear Lake, Ca this weekend. I was hopping to fly my phantom 4 out and capture some decent footage by the snow surrounded lake. I did some research to make sure my flight would be allowed and yes it is allowed, But with some light restrictions of course. Check out the link attached if you're heading out to big bear anytime soon.
This will be my first attempt with my phantom 4 during snow conditions. Any recommendations with ND Filters, Shutter and ISO settings for Snow grounds, with sunshine conditions?
Thank you!

http://www.bigbearcityairport.com/drone-information/

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

How was your flight? How did your drone handle the cold? I am going this weekend and it is suppose to snow. Did you run into any problems? I am always so nervous to fly because people sometimes complain about it being annoying. What areas of Big Bear did you fly? Anywhere around the ski resorts?

Reactions: jjvasquez29
I flew there over the holidays. Make sure you stop by boulder bay and fly around that pretty good footage. I was flying in temperatures around 30-40 degrees no problem.

It's nice that Big Bear Airport is supportive of drone pilots like that, but I'm confused as to why the DJI Geo-Fencing would allow flight that close to restricted air space (any airport). I thought there was a 5 mile radius of no-flying ?

How was your flight? How did your drone handle the cold? I am going this weekend and it is suppose to snow. Did you run into any problems? I am always so nervous to fly because people sometimes complain about it being annoying. What areas of Big Bear did you fly? Anywhere around the ski resorts?

It was amazing. I just flew over the west side of big bear lake. I had no problems what so ever. I was a bit nervous but everything went great. I tried to avoid the ski resort as I was trying to avoid the big crowds and not cause a big commotion. How was your experience?

I flew there over the holidays. Make sure you stop by boulder bay and fly around that pretty good footage. I was flying in temperatures around 30-40 degrees no problem.

Yes I definitely took some great footage near boulder bay. Great spot! Yeah I was flying around 30-40 as well. No problem what so ever. Very smooth flights.

It's nice that Big Bear Airport is supportive of drone pilots like that, but I'm confused as to why the DJI Geo-Fencing would allow flight that close to restricted air space (any airport). I thought there was a 5 mile radius of no-flying ?

Yeah there is an airport nearby (about 5-6miles) but as long as you stay within the west side of the lake you'll be fine. I usually try to avoid the crowds. Safety reasons. But this is definitely a great spot to take some amazing footage.

Hi everyone, new user to this forum. I will be heading out to Big Bear Lake, Ca this weekend. I was hopping to fly my phantom 4 out and capture some decent footage by the snow surrounded lake. I did some research to make sure my flight would be allowed and yes it is allowed, But with some light restrictions of course. Check out the link attached if you're heading out to big bear anytime soon.
This will be my first attempt with my phantom 4 during snow conditions. Any recommendations with ND Filters, Shutter and ISO settings for Snow grounds, with sunshine conditions?
Thank you!

Drone Information

I am going to Big Bear Lake tomorrow to fly my P4P. Do I have to inform the airport? Where is the west side of the lake? The airport map cleared the Baldwin Lake area as a fly area. Thanks for your help!

I would definitely notify the airport. It's right next to the lake on the east side. The west side (opposite) is where the dam is. The dry lake bed (Baldwin) would be clear of airport traffic, but wouldn't be as nice of a place to fly as Big Bear Lake.

I flew there two weeks ago...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20