Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Beware when upgrading DJI Go on Android

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Chris Vedeler, Aug 18, 2015.

1. Chris Vedeler

I made the mistake of upgrading to DJI Go 2.0.1 before heading out for my flight this morning. 45 minutes away from home I do one flight just fine. When I got the P3 back, I powered off the tablet, controller and the P3 to switch the battery. When I powered everything back up DJI Go crashed each time I launched it.

I had seen this before when I first upgraded to DJI Go from Pilot. What I failed to do was to uninstall the previous app AND hook the tablet to my PC to delete the DJI directory before upgrading.

I don't know why DJI can't create an upgrade that deletes the older app in a way that is usable. From my experience the only way to get a good upgrade is to completely wipe out all traces of the older version.

Has anyone else had this experience?

2. phantom13flyer

No need to delete it will update existing pilot app .

3. Chris Vedeler

Not in my case, at least not with DJI Go. Each upgrade has caused the app to crash when launching it. The only way I have found to make it work is to remove all traces of the older app.

4. phantom13flyer

That's weird , you shouldn't have to do that . Does work good now since you've done all that?

5. Chris Vedeler

It appears to. It has survived two cycles of booting. I haven't had a chance to fly with it yet.

6. phantom13flyer

What device are you using

7. Chris Vedeler

Acer Iconia Tab 8.

8. SouthernPhantom

My first two experiences with the GO app (2.0.0 and 2.0.1) were fine. It loaded over the old Pilot app and worked well.

However, with yet-another brand-new 2.0.2 version (it's on the Play Store, still not on the DJI website), loading it normally caused the app crash each time I tried to use it. So I deleted it with the Android app manager (in Settings), shut down and re-started the phone, and then re-installed the app.

Now everything is fine. Perfect flights today. I did not have to delete any directories. I'm using a Samsung S5 phone.

9. trigon

Guys.... cmmmoooon theres nothing wrong with Android... The problem lies in between chair and your device OR you are trying to use a DJI Go (powerfull but eating alot of device hardware - thats the price for being powerfull of course) on a cheap ****. Thats it ;-)

SouthernPhantom likes this.
  10. trigon

I tried DJI on Modecom tablet worth like 100 bucks.... didnt even start of course... All good on my Xiaomi phone though.

Andron likes this.
  11. Chris Vedeler

I never had a problem with upgrading the Pilot app. The Acer is a pretty decent little tablet for the money. DJI Go works just fine, except after I upgrade. So I don't think it is the tablet. It could be me, I'd be the first to admit it. But I don't know what I could be doing wrong. It seems pretty idiot proof to upgrade an app. It is also pretty clear that by doing a totally clean install it works as well.