BEWARE of possible BLACK BOX being implemented by DJI

The Fact is that the flight restrictions are far from even being close, They have to redo their airspace classification. to conform to ICAO. Their .6 of a mile restriction to 394 feet in most airports sets that point inside the fence, If one of those units penetrates (with out GPS) and the safety auto land feature kicks in, It may autoland in a critical part of an airport like an active runway or taxiway. Personally they should pull the update until a more comprehensive database. Can be implemented.
Their Class B airports in most a cases are smaller busy international airports with relaxed restrictictons. Ridiculous if you ask me.
Being a former airline pilot it very obvious when you compare their idea of a no fly zone with real world airspace boundaries and altitude and airspace restrictions. That this was rushed incomplete and poorly put together, and maybe pressured by an outside entity.

OI Photography said:
So it IS possible to flash that memory while in flight?

I knew the data was available through the existing components, and I didn't think it was really the amount of memory that limited it so much as the type. Same as with your phone, car, etc (including the iOSD mkII)...the firmware memory is separate from the data storage memory.
Sure, it's possible, it's just a matter of software. There's nothing magical about being in flight (at least as far as the flash is concerned).

The separation you speak of is more a matter of convenience and convention. For example, the iPad on which I type this has one bank of flash used both for code and data. On the other hand, the camera separates firmware storage and data (photo and video) storage, but this is partly so that you can remove the miniSD card and stick it in your computer, and partly because the data rates into the video flash is quite high (somewhere north of 1MB/sec) and they may use cheaper, slower flash for the firmware since there is no need to write it at high speed. But saving position data requires around 1/100000 of that bandwidth.

It is also true that flash has a limit to how many times you can write it, but this is obviously not a practical issue given that virtually everything is flash now (the only rotating media I have left is for backups) as the flash controllers spread the data around so as to note beat on the same memory all the time, and is capable of detecting the bad bits and working around them without any loss of data.

Now it could be that they have a cheap flash controller embedded in there as well that will cook off more quickly; it's hard to tell. But it is technically feasible in any case, if not necessarily a good idea. ;)

Tahoe Ed said:
Not true. It requires a iOSD to record flight data. Don't get paranoid guys. There was no pressure on DJI to limit flights near airports. They did this proactively. I met a guy at NAB that is part of the Drone Testing Center in Las Vegas. They are interested in what DJI did in its firmware to protect users from invading commercial/private air space. Pilots are very concerned. I fly at a park that is about a quarter of a mile from the airport. I could fly at or above the landing aircraft however I did not do so. I would prefer that users control themselves, but unfortunately that is a wish not a reality.

Its not us my friend, I was flying at a park on the beach in Hawaii, and a sightseeing heli was coming down the beach, I saw him coming made sure no folks were on the beach and dropped to 10 feet, he was at 25 to 30 feet off the beach over people. Stupid *******. Had I not seen him I would have been a bug on his windshield, or worse. He was too low, too fast and he was getting paid.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31