Better Use for CH7??

113 grams is a lot of weight :(

Great idea :)

job2310 said:

the link goes to:
==========================
MARS MINI Parachute
The MARS MINI Parachute is a Multirotor Aerial Recovery System. Consider it a self-defense system against gravity. Capable of protecting aircraft weighing up to four pounds, making it suited for smaller craft like the DJI F450. Featuring a 36″ parachute. 9MG servo and a high energy compression spring.
==========================
No info on how this works or when you would need it. How is it attached to the aircraft? How is it deployed?
I don't see this as having any benefit for a Phantom flier. Just maybe if you experience VRS at altitude. And it weighs a quarter pound!
I would not recommend this product/idea.

C'mon what happened to the pioneering spirit? Nothing ventured nothing gained! :)

I thought it looked cool so wanted to share. Who knows someone might get inspired and come up with a solution that is actually practical for our lovely Phantoms.

I think this would have limited use...as it would only be able to be used within control distance. Also, it would take nerves of steel to execute a CSC for engine shutdown, and then deploy the parachute.

It might be useful outside of control range if it could be modded to interact with a Rate of Descent sensor. RoD > a certain value, it would determine the unit is falling, not flying, then activate the parachute. I'd be worried about an accidental deployment though...which of course would spell disaster.

smallman28 said:

just watched some of the videos available on their web site (hope they make better parachutes than vids).
in this one (and most of them) it is hard to see the landing but the rate of descent is considerable.
http://youtu.be/SCxeFX_uO4I

in the last one I watched there appeared to be some significant breakage on impact.
and note how large the unit looks on the drone (that big black box on top)
http://vimeo.com/56451356

I contacted a dealer in the US and asked them how sales were and they said:
"Can not keep them on my shelves. Mars also just made a new mounting bracket specifically for the phantom."

This surprised me so i asked them to describe a scenario when it would be deployed.
Here is the response:
============================================
Most time with beginner and intermediate flyers, they lose coordination and orientation. They fly so high up or so far out, they do not know where front and back is. If this happens, all you can do is shutoff the props and it crashes to the ground. In that instance, shut off the props, deploy the parachute and it floats down instead of crashes. Another instance, you have a unit that is flying nice and high, great footage, and crashes into a house or mountain or wherever you are flying. Depending on that, the way down 1/4 mile potentially. Cant get control of the unit, deploy the parachute and hopefully it will catch and save your drone. Drones can be $1000+. It is worth attempting to save for $150
This seems to totally ignore RTH or the telemetry data available via the app. Then the part about crashing into a house/mountain is not well explained and does not convince me to buy one.

I also inquired about customer feedback. Nada
For something that is flying off the shelves there is zero customer feedback or reviews.
and no testimonials or third-party recommendations on the MARS web site.

It's funny that they say it's "flying of the shelves" but virtually no one out there seems to have it.

Maybe they only had 2 units on their shelves? :lol:

And it doesn't make sense either. Even the dumbest of newbies should know that if they're really screwed, they can turn off the radio and keep their fingers crossed that it comes back home.

IMO, this sort of device makes more sense when you really have some expensive payload. When someone is flying a $7000 Flir or GH4+expensive lens+lightbridge+$3000 gimbal, it makes more sense. But for a Phantom 2, that you can easily get for $400 lightly used, I don't see the point... But the more stuff you start adding to it, the more it makes sense...

I agree that you might consider something for a $10,000 set up. however, i don't think this provides anywhere nearly enough protection for the buck. the 120 costs $1,500.00! it is very big so will seriously impact flight time and, as seen in the video, does not offer a "soft" landing.

for the Phantom, i can't see it ever being deployed. crashes into obstacles are horizontal and at lower altitudes. and they happen too quickly for this to be of any use..

btw, please let me know where i can get a "lightly used" P2 for $400 :)

cruz_ctrl said:
This surprised me so i asked them to describe a scenario when it would be deployed.
Here is the response:
Most time with beginner and intermediate flyers, they lose coordination and orientation. They fly so high up or so far out, they do not know where front and back is. If this happens, all you can do is shutoff the props and it crashes to the ground. In that instance, shut off the props, deploy the parachute and it floats down instead of crashes. Another instance, you have a unit that is flying nice and high, great footage, and crashes into a house or mountain or wherever you are flying. Depending on that, the way down 1/4 mile potentially. Cant get control of the unit, deploy the parachute and hopefully it will catch and save your drone. Drones can be $1000+. It is worth attempting to save for $150.

It's amazing how much ignorance and falsehoods are in this official company statement --- makes me wonder if they even know what a Phantom Vision+ is and how it works ?? Seems like a bunch of turds who got bored trying to develop "Angry Birds 12" and decided to make a parachute system instead.

And why are they assuming we are worried about our birds crashing "1/4 mile down" when we arent even supposed to be over 400' AGL ??

God dammit, get a clue.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub