Better than tape?

Reaction score
I need some advice. I have about 15 flights on my Phantom.

I've already got cracks in the insulation on both power wires near the plug.

I used electrical tape to patch the red one then I noticed a few days later the other one was cracked and showing bare wire.

The electrical tape doesn't want to stay on the wires in such a small radius.

I'm not proficient with soldering or else I would just remove/heat shrink/reinstall.

Anyone have any other ideas on fixing/patching this?

Thanks

I think you might want to look into this a bit deeper. If memory serves, those power leads are high quality and use silicone sheaths. I could be wrong, but even if they're just the standard plastic, cracking sheaths at this early stage could be indicative of high temperatures in your body, corrosive gasses present, or other things.

Certainly fix it, but it wouldn't hurt to crack it open and take a good look in there for any obvious issues.

Just my two cents.

It seems to be a common problem, as I experience similar.
gotta make sure not to pull on the wire (but make sure the wire is still attached well).

I had my phantom apart recently, and unsoldered the wires and used heat-shrink to cover things up.
Soldering is pretty much a necessity with this hobby, best to pick up a good soldering iron or gun and learn it!

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to look into the liquid tape then put some regular tape around the two wires for now.

i have no doubt I'll be cracking the shell sooner or later. At that point I'll try to heat-shrink and re-solder.

Is that lead one of the spare parts available from vendors?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik