Beta Testers requested to fix Compass Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would happily volunteer as a beta tester, but would need an iOSD-MkII also. As I said before, I am in Ventura, CA which is south of Santa Barbara on the coast. If geographic diversity is desired, we are a beachfront location with lots of open agricultural and ocean areas free from man-made structures and their associated magnetic influence. I would estimate our declination at 12-13 degrees. I can swap out my iOSD-Mini for the MkII unit easily as it is all externally mounted via a DJI hub.

Thanks to Terry and DJI for engaging us so directly. We have a lot of knowledgable, talented, and experienced Phantom users in this on-line community so I have every confidence we can solve this problem with factory assistance.

terry.one said:
Thank you very much for willing to help. We appreciate it.

The compass issue I believe it's related to area since all phantoms are tested before delivery. I flew in China and LA with no problem. We do repairs in LA, but just repair. Our engineers are in HQ China and they are the ones to fix the problem.

To log flight data, it should has an SD card at least, which iOSD mini does not. Only iOSD Mark II can do it. I will come back at 8 April since we are on a traditional Chinese Festival now. I will pick some of you in different locations and sending out iOSD mark II. Beta testers needs to provide flight data of compass issue, then we will provide beta firmware to test until problem solved.

ianwood, would you like to be no.1 tester in my list? :D

If it is a declination issue, note that declination in the Hong Kong region is only -2˚ or so, and so the problem might go entirely unnoticed.

I am located on Long Island, NY (-13 declination). I am willing to beta test the firmware but would require an IOSD Mark II as I only have the IOSD MINI.
Phantom 2
Please contact me if I can assist you in any way possible. Thank you DJI :)

terry.one said:
Hi, Everyone,
This is Terry from DJI HQ. I've read our phantom users have compass issues like TBE, not flying in straight line in certain areas. This is very strange to us and engineers are very concerned about it. We believe it is related to magnetic interference locally. To find out the cause and solve the problem, I'd like to request for beta testers in this forum who:

1. own Phantom 2 or Phantom 2 Vision.
2. suffer compass issue and compass calibration does not help with latest 2.0 0 firmware.
3. have iOSD Mark II installed and provide flight data for analyse.
4. experienced in flying.

We will try our best to fix this issue and very appreciate your help as testers. If you are interested, pls reply the thread and I will contact you shortly. Thanks. :)

Hi Terry,
Firstly I am VERY happy that DJI is addressing this issue. Those of us who have Wookong flight controllers (I have two), went through a similar issue a year or so ago, and DJI came to the party and provided replacement V2 compasses.
I live in Christchurch, New Zealand and own three Phantom 2s. One I left in India on my recent trip there, and here I have a Phantom with H3-2D, and another Phantom with H3-3D on order from HeliPal.

When my first Phantom 2 arrived aprox 2 months ago, I was getting TBE on the very first flight. However, I noticed that it would sometimes be a problem and sometimes not, but there was no way I could predict it happening, which was very disconcerting. I took this Phantom 2 to India on Feb 19th this year, and after doing a compass calibration, I had no issues whatsoever with TBE, drifting etc. This was running on the previous P2 firmware, not the latest version. I hope this might give your technicians a clue as to what is happening.
This morning I'm about to unbox my 2nd Phantom 2 and install the H3-2D gimbal. I'll do the P2 firmware update to version 2.0, but I'm expecting similar results as my first Phantom. Let's see what happens.

I don't own iOSD Mark II but I do have iOSD Mini.
I would be happy to be a Beta Tester to help DJI get this issue sorted out.

Kind regards
Paul

i am willing to test here in namibia. TBE quite strong here! would need iosd markII though.

cheers
namcopter

I'm in NSW, Australia, declination 12 degrees East and happy to help. I've a P2V with flytrex so would need a lend of an IOSD Mk II.

John

I am in as well....
San Mateo CA, my P2 still is hooking after the 2.0 update.... I am happy to pull out my Iosd mini and install a logger if needed.

I'd have liked to be a beta tester too, my j hook is in the opposite direction :$

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can anyone tell me if this compass issue is also why, when flying a Ground Station mission, the aircraft will fly towards the next waypoint but it's aimed slightly to the right. Should this cure up if there is a fix?

Right now I plan missions compensating for this quirk so I get the views I'm looking for, and I can't imagine this is efficient for the P2 either since its not flying nose down to gain speed but angled as if always compensating for wind.

mcmax20 said:
Can anyone tell me if this compass issue is also why, when flying a Ground Station mission, the aircraft will fly towards the next waypoint but it's aimed slightly to the right. Should this cure up if there is a fix?

Right now I plan missions compensating for this quirk so I get the views I'm looking for, and I can't imagine this is efficient for the P2 either since its not flying nose down to gain speed but angled as if always compensating for wind.

It's possible it is related. If a couple others in affected areas (high declination) come out saying the same while others with low declination don't have an issue, that ought to help corroborate it further. As for efficiency, I am not sure if the P2 gains anything in terms of which way it is oriented vs. the direction of travel.

Did some filming this weekend in some relatively tight spots. The P2 was driving me nuts not going straight. Ruined shot after shot after shot because I kept having to counter the drift and the hooking. I can't wait for it to fly straight! It will be so much easier! If that gets fixed, I'll get ground station and the 3D gimbal and be happy!

ianwood said:
Did some filming this weekend in some relatively tight spots. The P2 was driving me nuts not going straight. Ruined shot after shot after shot because I kept having to counter the drift and the hooking. I can't wait for it to fly straight! It will be so much easier! If that gets fixed, I'll get ground station and the 3D gimbal and be happy!

Ditto.
Especially when a client is watching the monitor.

ianwood said:
mcmax20 said:

Hi Ian. I don't know if this has any relevance to the issue, but I noticed that the default position for the P2 GPS module in the assistant software is, X 0cm, Y 0cm, Z 0cm. There's no way to change these settings. From my observation, the GPS should be Z -3cm, because it's situated above the centre of gravity.
Comments?

nzvideoguys said:
Hi Ian. I don't know if this has any relevance to the issue, but I noticed that the default position for the P2 GPS module in the assistant software is, X 0cm, Y 0cm, Z 0cm. There's no way to change these settings. From my observation, the GPS should be Z -3cm, because it's situated above the centre of gravity.
Comments?

It may be an issue but it's a different one and would affect everyone equally. The compass issue only affects people in areas of high declination.

KG4MXV said:
A quick question, does V3 address the j-hook issue?

No, v3 most certainly doesn't address J hook or TBE. Did some test flights today after waiting for rains to clear. Immediate TBE on takeoff, and sustained throughout a 6min flight. When I switch on failsafe, the P2 comes home yawed to the right by about 20degrees. I'm going to try twisting the compass clockwise by 20 degrees and see what that does. Has anyone found a workaround in areas of high declination, or are we waiting for DJI to solve this?

nzvideoguys said:
KG4MXV said:
A quick question, does V3 address the j-hook issue?

No, v3 most certainly doesn't address J hook or TBE. Did some test flights today after waiting for rains to clear. Immediate TBE on takeoff, and sustained throughout a 6min flight. When I switch on failsafe, the P2 comes home yawed to the right by about 20degrees. I'm going to try twisting the compass clockwise by 20 degrees and see what that does. Has anyone found a workaround in areas of high declination, or are we waiting for DJI to solve this?

Ianwood has already tried rotating the compass and it did not really help.

Live in Westchester County NY…experiencing TBE, and j hook to right…seems to straighten up after a few minutes of flying time but not completely…also drifts a lot while hovering…pretty frustrating to fly when this is happening and very uneasy feeling while flying…have a Pahntom 2 with gimbal and go pro 3..iOSD mini Boscam TS353 and Boscam LCD 5802…if you need a beta tester in this area I would be interested but don't have the OSD Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4