Best wind conditions to fly?

Reaction score
Hey group!

I am a total newbie when it comes to flying anything in the sky!
Have few questions, i downloaded an app to check wind and KP Index and things like that like the HOVER APP for IOS

So question for example now says Wind is South 7MPH ( 11kph) what are optimum conditions? when not to fly? what is Kp Index now it displays number 2!

Thank You guys happy flying!

7KPH? 5 MPH? no issues to worry at all about. Hover should also say conditions being good, caution etc...

Ive flown in 16MPH yesterday and with GPS it was stable....

just make sure you have good sat coverage 7+ when you fly, irregardless of the wind speed

Last edited:
Yeah really watch the GPS. Even in a light wind (5mph) losing GPS it then just goes with the wind so if you don't know the orientation it can be hard to gain control again. 7+ is good.

Over 10mph I'm cautious about going out. Knowing gust speeds is important too. I wouldn't fly if gusts are higher than 20mph.

One thing I notice when its windy is that when you change direction it can take a 50' or more to adjust and stabilize.

Hey group!

I am a total newbie when it comes to flying anything in the sky!
Have few questions, i downloaded an app to check wind and KP Index and things like that like the HOVER APP for IOS

So question for example now says Wind is South 7MPH ( 11kph) what are optimum conditions? when not to fly? what is Kp Index now it displays number 2!

Thank You guys happy flying!

You can always Google " KP Index" for best descriptive interpretation, and how it relates to the numbers provided on the chart.

FWIW - We have had very windy conditions recently here in the UK so I tested the stability of the PV2+ in 25mph winds with gusts. It was very stable in the hover but you had to fly carefully when moving to a new position, or coming anywhere near the ground. Not recommended but it does show how well it works when needed (you could easily hit faster wind just a few hundred feet up).

The gimbal camera was equally impressive under these gusty conditions :)

KP index 2 is good, the disturbances are minimal so it wouldn't affect electronic devices. The starting point of danger KP index is from 5 which is the lowest level of geomagnetic storm. To be honest, I used to fly in KP index 5 with no problem at all, as long as being careful about satellites status (7 minimum) and keep an eye on the bird, don't be over confident when flying.

You can fly easily in winds up to 25 mph.
Ignore K index - high or low, it has no effect that anyone has been able to see.
Ignore the indicated wind on the app - that's what it is blowing somewhere else, not the wind you are experiencing. Local wind can be quite different from recorded wind 5 or ten miles away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.