Best way to take pics of fireworks with P4 ?

Reaction score
We're going camping this weekend and the campground is going to have a big fireworks display, I called and asked if I could take pics from a drone. Later on the owner called back and said "yes" you can take aerial pics. Now, my question to everyone is, how or what is the best way to take pictures and/or video of fireworks front the P4?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Anyone remember 2 years ago the guy who flew his Phantom through the fireworks show? Utterly amazing. Wish I had the link.

Reactions: Drone Master
I did this video for my mates wedding in Cyprus of their wedding fireworks from the boat! Just send the drone up but make sure your high enough to get the 'bang'

Reactions: Chopstix Kid
With my limited experience, I have found the only way to take fireworks is to go up about 400 feet, well back from the shooting area, and take movies. From the movies you can copy out still frames to get exactly what you want.
Tried taking still frames, but had trouble getting exposure as good as I did on the movies. I shot on auto, and used the control wheel on the right side of the controller to put the exposure in the center of the histogram for the first couple of test shots. From then on the movies were really great. Oh yes, I put the color selection on Vivid as well.

Thanks everyone for letting me in on a little help. I will hopefully get to give it a try this weekend, but they are also calling for rain also.

Yup! That's crazy!!

I would make sure you are up wind from the display . Also be careful not to go through the fireworks if you plan on boarding a plane soon. The gunpowder residue on your bird will get you a complete look over by security.

The video is crazy!

There's a few more dare Devils on YT too...

What an idiot. Great footage but what a moron.

I'd recommend you fly a few times at night to practice dialing in the right exposure. Using the streets lights and buildings should get you close enough. I also found a setting in the app that lets you let the camera tilt up 30 degrees. Might be handy if you can't get high enough. Also the props might not show as its dark. Oh and turn off your front lights.

Pretty sure the DJI Go app turns off the front lights at night as soon as hit record now doesn't it?

Pretty sure the DJI Go app turns off the front lights at night as soon as hit record now doesn't it?
It does not. You have to turn them off in the application.

So in watching that video it makes me want to video the fireworks that are shot off at a local golf course. Couple questions. I don't know if I have the guts to fly right into the "blast zone" but wonder if I can set the POI to the rough location where they are being shot and set it up 250 feet? (guessing here how high they go) and have it orbit as the fireworks do their magic. Too high? Not high enough? Kinda hard to judge what would work best so if anyone has any input I would love to hear!

It does not. You have to turn them off in the application.

You can manually have them turned off continuously, or there is a new setting where you have them on but once you take a picture of video they turn off themselves. I believe this new setting is in the Camera Menu settings of the Go App.

Reactions: KevMo Photog
I can set the POI to the rough location where they are being shot and set it up 250 feet? (guessing here how high they go) and have it orbit as the fireworks do their magic. Too high? Not high enough?
Each inch diameter of the firework mortor is 100' high. So 3" mortors go up 300'. Small shows are typically 300', larger shows are 400' high.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik