Best way to learn to fly in manual?

Reaction score
I have a spare P2V+V2 that I bought so I could learn to fly in manual mode. I know my Syma X5 has a close personal relationship with the field where I practice and I'm wondering how to keep my Phantom from heading to the repair shop, or is it inevitable?

Would love some advice on how those of you that fly in manual learned...I am guessing just start with some altitude and keep the GPS switch handy...

edonovanl said:
I have a spare P2V+V2 that I bought so I could learn to fly in manual mode. I know my Syma X5 has a close personal relationship with the field where I practice and I'm wondering how to keep my Phantom from heading to the repair shop, or is it inevitable?

Would love some advice on how those of you that fly in manual learned...I am guessing just start with some altitude and keep the GPS switch handy...

best way to learn is practice in manual mode, not being sarcastic but its really the only way.. start off with simple stick commands and really slow inputs then practice banging the sticks once you get the feel.. youtube videos help, how to flip phantom etc... tons of practice really .. good luck.. :mrgreen:

I probably wouldn't have went with the P2V+ to learn manual, but since you already have it I'd highly reccomend taking the gimbal and stuff off when starting. Like you probably already know, gps will save you if you get orientation mixed up, so just flip it into gps and you'll level out just fine. In manual, just remember that if you push forward on your right stick, it'll continue to tilt forward as long as you hold it in the forward direction, so you'll just keep flipping if you hold it pretty much. Just give it a little forward input and let off and it'll hold it's possition. same applies to any direction you go on the right stick. Throttle response will also be more powerful as well, so take it easy on it. Left and right spin on left stick will be the same. Now with that out of the way, I found there's a few techniques on flying manual. The easiest way to start is to practice going forward, level out, and use left stick to turn and then forward again. Once you're used to that, you can try banked turns, which you'll have to play around with the controls to figure out the right amount of stick input. My banked turns are usually very sharp, so afterwards, I have to give down stick input on the right stick to even it back out or I'll dive down to the ground. Just take it up a good bit, and try it out, and practice practice practice and you should pick it up fairly easy. Just always remember to flip it into gps if you feel like you're losing control and you should be ok. However, if you have orientation control issues, I'd be sure to get that perfected first before trying manual, as it's very important to know before jumping into manual flight.

Prop guards would be a good idea.

Hope you're not using Carbon Fiber props.

Kitari, liked your controls description, thanks.

I practiced in manual with a Syma X5 so I do have a feel for how difficult it will be. I tried manual once at about 30 feet and it took two seconds before I flipped into GPS, about a foot off the ground. I am practicing with my spare gimbal-less P2V+V2, with prop guards and 9450 props. I practice orientation every time I fly but that skill needs some work. So, I think I'm ready to go and just waiting for a windless day...

One way to think of manual is that it behaves more like a conventinal fixed wing aircraft. If you move the stick and keep it there the surfaces move out and stay there too, and aerodynamics behave accordingly.

Hughie, great thought - I used to fly fixed wing and have done some stick-and-rudder glider flying so I know exactly what you mean. Raining today but tomorrow I start mastering manual; besides, my Syma X5 needs a break from being pummeled by the grass!

edonovanl said:
Hughie, great thought - I used to fly fixed wing and have done some stick-and-rudder glider flying so I know exactly what you mean. Raining today but tomorrow I start mastering manual; besides, my Syma X5 needs a break from being pummeled by the grass!
:D

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4