Best way to land a Vision 2

Reaction score
Hi, new member, new pilot, first post, and probably a dumb question but....
I have no problems flying but landing without damaging a prop is giving me nightmares.
I can get the craft to within a couple of feet of the ground with no problem, but then the prop wash starts bouncing it around and I invariably end up with a prop guard bouncing off the ground, sometimes bending enough to hit and chip a propeller.

Any hints?

Thanks
bill

Thanks. I was wondering about hand catching, but it looks like a really good way to hurt oneself. So far, the best I've found is to bring it in to just above where it starts to dance around from the prop wash and shut the motors down, but it does make for a hard landing when the thing drops from a couple of feet up.

Thanks again

bill

Easy and safe to hand catch.
Bring your Phantom down and hover at head height.
Step over to the machine rather than fly it toward you.
Hold one of the legs and left stick down.
Your hands and head are nowhere near any danger.

Wheatfield said:
I have no problems flying but landing without damaging a prop is giving me nightmares.
I can get the craft to within a couple of feet of the ground with no problem, but then the prop wash starts bouncing it around and I invariably end up with a prop guard bouncing off the ground, sometimes bending enough to hit and chip a propeller.

Any hints?

Thanks
bill

I think it's important to learn how to land. I know a lot of folks here like to catch the phantom, but I think even if that's your preference, learning to land properly is a skill that will make you a better pilot.

I learned on heli's and so I have no issue landing the phantom. I would suggest buying a $40.00 quad from a mall and practice landing it. It really is a matter of small corrections and not panicking... I know that's easier said than done...but it's easier when your playing with a $40.00 bird vs a $1200.00 one :)

Is it really windy when you fly over??

It should be able to hover few inches off ground (bit dangerous for new ppl like myself) without to mamy dramas.

Wheatfield said:

Any hints?

Thanks
bill

If you look at the ongoing trends with competitors' multirotors --- I would bet the Phantom 3 will have retractable legs that are twice as long as the current ones (probably thinner to keep weight the same, or maybe made out of carbon fiber?). Too many people (including myself) are annoyed by landing gear showing up in the videos when the bird is yawing left and right. This would also solve the current problem of camera lens being too close to the ground and getting smudged with mud or cow poop if it's pointed downward.

This improvement in longer landing legs should make landing tip-overs a thing of the past.

I'm kinda new myself and do fly in windy conditions most of the time. I don't think I have ever flown from concrete or asphalt. It's usually a gravel road or some short cut grass. Today it was from the side of a mountain with a 2' square piece of dirt.

I can never hold still within 2 feet of the ground for more than 2 seconds. I'm starting to wonder about the GPS satellites not being able to get through the mountain I fly next to. Anyway...

Prop guards are great for the crappy landing tip-overs. Obviously they are wonderful when I fly into something too. They make a handy carrying handle and help you keep sight of your bird when it's getting far out there. On the other side of that coin is the added weight and drag. Some folks call them training wheels. I still have those on my mountain bike.

Prop guards get my vote. :D Practicing with a little machine is great advice too.

Hand catching makes you look cool, till the skin opens up. :eek: I do it when I must.

Post some video of your less than perfect landings, we'll start a club. :lol:

Good luck

I started hand-catching when even my bird was firmly on the ground, it would tip over then the motors turned off.

If you're really that concerned about the risk of hand catching, go to Harbor Freight and buy yourself a heavy duty welders glove with those big cuffs that go halfway up your arm.

why don you use a table top that can cause wash but if it tips over it just falls and you can lift it back off before it hits the ground or a trash can upside down. once your good enough just move the item your landing on.

Can anyone think of a material which will eliminate, or at least reduce the turbulence caused by ground effect. :eek:

I"m thinking expanded metal or 1/2 inch welded wire.
It would really suck to catch a rubber foot in that though, at least for those of you who don't use prop guards.
I already know I'm going to tip over on something like that.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj