Best way to follow me on motorcycle?

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a way to have my P3P follow me around while on my motorcycle. Currently using Autopilot app as I like the focus feature; however, I can't figure out the best way to ride while having the remote and my iphone attached to it... Can I disconnect the iphone from the remote, put the remote in my backpack, phone in pocket, and have it follow my device? Still new to this and not sure how all the components all talk to each other.. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

Unless you are out in the middle of nowhere with no obstacles or you plan on watching the drone every second and only drive 20mph,... you will be looking for someone to repair your P3.

You can do it one of two ways... you can use the DJI Go app but then you need a display device connected to the transmitter and a GPS lock at all times or you can use an app such as Vertical Studio and visual tracking. However, in both of these cases once our lose the connection/tracking (and you _will_), the P3 will start to fly back to the take off point.

As I mentioned, if you try to do this around anything or with any speed, you will be looking for someone to repair your drone.

You stand a much better chance of not crashing if you were to ride as a passenger but even then, it's very risky.

Reactions: drummerboy7816
Can I disconnect the iphone from the remote, put the remote in my backpack, phone in pocket, and have it follow my device?
no, unfortunately you can't
bird follows the GPS coordinates that phone/tablet sends to it through RC - and that's the second problem - you need to place phone at such a place so it has good GPS reception, otherwise your Phantom can lose it and fly away or maybe even crash (there is a lot of topics about that)
and don't forget that RC must be in good position to see the Phantom

Reactions: drummerboy7816
Thanks.

Visual tracking seems pretty neat. Although it seems like it could easily lose me if any obstructions get in the way.

Do they make any backpack type straps that could holds the RC and phone securely in the open, while allowing the antennas to point up to maintain good connection? Probably dreaming here... but just in case it exists :)

I'm trying to find a way to have my P3P follow me around while on my motorcycle. Currently using Autopilot app as I like the focus feature; however, I can't figure out the best way to ride while having the remote and my iphone attached to it... Can I disconnect the iphone from the remote, put the remote in my backpack, phone in pocket, and have it follow my device? Still new to this and not sure how all the components all talk to each other.. Any advice appreciated.

Thanks!

If you disconnect the phone from the controller, it will NOT relay the GPS data to the bird. An option would be to get a really long USB cable and mount the phone to the handle bar to get maximum GPS sats and then tie down the controller somewhere else on the bike such. You don't want this in a backpack as there is a chance that the sticks may be unintentionally moved.

Please also note to practice follow mode on the P3 and test its limitations. You need to:
1. check if your device is accurate for follow me.
2. understand the controls based on follow me.
3. understand course mode vs heading mode (the GO app has only heading mode which means it only follows you based on relative position and not angle). This is very frustrating if the subject (you and your controller) is frequently changing directions.

I don't use GO app for follow me as there is so many limitations. I prefer Litchi as you can use a second device that pairs over 3/4G to follow. It also has course and heading mode. And finally, it has now track mode, very similar to Vertical Studios where you can draw a box around and object and have the PHantom focus and track.

Reminds me of this video I saw a few weeks ago. Don't know if you can see/tell exactly how he did it, but he did. I'm not saying I'd do it. But he did. ;)

Mike

If you disconnect the phone from the controller, it will NOT relay the GPS data to the bird. An option would be to get a really long USB cable and mount the phone to the handle bar to get maximum GPS sats and then tie down the controller somewhere else on the bike such. You don't want this in a backpack as there is a chance that the sticks may be unintentionally moved.

Please also note to practice follow mode on the P3 and test its limitations. You need to:
1. check if your device is accurate for follow me.
2. understand the controls based on follow me.
3. understand course mode vs heading mode (the GO app has only heading mode which means it only follows you based on relative position and not angle). This is very frustrating if the subject (you and your controller) is frequently changing directions.

I don't use GO app for follow me as there is so many limitations. I prefer Litchi as you can use a second device that pairs over 3/4G to follow. It also has course and heading mode. And finally, it has now track mode, very similar to Vertical Studios where you can draw a box around and object and have the PHantom focus and track.

That's a good idea. Not sure where I can tie the controller on my bike, but I do have a iphone mount that would work.

Reminds me of this video I saw a few weeks ago. Don't know if you can see/tell exactly how he did it, but he did. I'm not saying I'd do it. But he did. ;)

Mike

Haha, looks like he tied it to the back seat of his scooter? I would be too scared to go more than 5 mph...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4