Best Video Setting; GoPro hero 3 Black

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm sure this topic has been discussed at length in the forum, but I can't find the thread. What do you think is the best video setting for the GoPro hero 3 black? The 2k files are massive and you lose the ability to take photos during the video. Is standard 1080p the best option?

Also, what time of the day do you find the best lighting for videos? I'm going to be filming at a winery in Mendoza and I don't know when to set time for filming or what setting to use.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Abrazo,
Arg

ArgP said:
Hi,

I'm sure this topic has been discussed at length in the forum, but I can't find the thread. What do you think is the best video setting for the GoPro hero 3 black? The 2k files are massive and you lose the ability to take photos during the video. Is standard 1080p the best option?

Also, what time of the day do you find the best lighting for videos? I'm going to be filming at a winery in Mendoza and I don't know when to set time for filming or what setting to use.

Abrazo,
Arg

As a videographer early or late afternoon are the best times to shoot. I prefer shooting 720p @ 120fps narrow as slowmotion at 30fps is super smooth. While shooting in1080p @ 60fps medium or narrow will allow you to slow down to 30fps.

If your camera is mounted H3-3D gimbal I would shot narrow in either 1080p or 720p so there isn't a chance of seeing either the landgear or blades in the scene which would have to be cropped out.

jason said:
ArgP said:
Hi,

Abrazo,
Arg

As a videographer early or late afternoon are the best times to shoot. I prefer shooting 720p @ 120fps narrow as slowmotion at 30fps is super smooth. While shooting in1080p @ 60fps medium or narrow will allow you to slow down to 30fps.

If your camera is mounted H3-3D gimbal I would shot narrow in either 1080p or 720p so there isn't a chance of seeing either the landgear or blades in the scene which would have to be cropped out.

Thank you Jason!

i'm currently having the same conundrum, 1080 with pics or 2.7k. I'm not sure how pics snapshot'd from a 2.7k video compare to those it automatically takes while doing 1080

I'm primarily a videographer/filmmaker as well, and always shoot 2.7K at 24fps at Medium FOV (I shoot non-aerials at 1080p/24, so I have to integrate the frame rate). Shooting on Medium prevents the props and legs from appearing in the frame unless I'm pitched really far forward or fighting a really stiff wind.

My target output is 1080p, and shooting at 2.7K gives me a lot of latitude for lens distortion correction on the stock lens as well as stabilizing/smoothing in Premiere Pro or After Effects.

I have printed stills from the 2.7K footage, but nothing bigger than 4" x 6" prints. The resolution isn't high enough to go any bigger than that without seeing pixels in the final print.

I run the 2 V2.0, H3-3D gimbal, and Hero 3+ Black. 1080p @ 60fps set at Medium is what I have been running and for the most part the landing gear and prop guards are not in the frame with the camera at every position from 10 degrees down from horizontal all the way rotated to 90 degrees looking right a the ground. Every once in a while if winds push the quad hard then I will just catch either the landing gear or a prop guard in the frame, but it is easy to crop out in post if this happens on footage that I want to use.

The 60 fps looks very nice in a 30 fps timeline in Premiere Pro and if I need to slow it down it still looks good.

Is there a difference between setting it to Medium and just cropping the frame from wide angle?

ArgP said:
Is there a difference between setting it to Medium and just cropping the frame from wide angle?

Why shoot in ultra wide if you're going to crop it out. Have you ever looked at the effect created by ultra wide when tilting the camera down and back up. Well to me that looks like crap. Even in medium there is a small amount of fisheye and if you're doing this for a customer I'd use narrow 1080p @ 60fps. Checkout the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stmzNSCRI_M

jason said:
ArgP said:

Why shoot in ultra wide if you're going to crop it out. Have you ever looked at the effect created by ultra wide when tilting the camera down and back up. Well to me that looks like crap. Even in medium there is a small amount of fisheye and if you're doing this for a customer I'd use narrow 1080p @ 60fps. Checkout the video.

Thanks, Jason. I really appreciate the advice.

Here's a really good comparison of how the Hero 3 Black captures at the various resolution and FOV settings. It will give you a good idea about what to expect from each.

http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-your-new-gopro/

One generally good rule of thumb is to capture as big as you can (based on your expected output size and your storage limitations) and resize in post-production. You can generally keep detail when scaling down, but not scaling up, and again, having extra detail on the edges of your frame will give you more options for a better final image.

jason said:
ArgP said:

I watched the video you posted and then the full film! Great work, man! I love it!!! What was your setup on that shoot. What were you flying and all?

DJIClint said:
jason said:
ArgP said:

I watched the video you posted and then the full film! Great work, man! I love it!!! What was your setup on that shoot. What were you flying and all?

No that video was to show what happens when video is shot in ultra wide 1080p and how much has to be cropped to cut fisheye out of the footage. Myself I do not have any full aerial uploaded to either vimeo or youtube but will have some winter footage taken last weekend.

There's no single "best" setting, as everyone has different needs.

If I'm shooting just for video, I'll often shoot 2.7k with ProRes on.

But if I'm shooting for fun, but also wanting the highest quality stills at the same time, I'll often shoot 1440 at 24fps + stills.
- 60fps is overkill unless you intend to slow down the footage.
and Narrow mode can be too narrow or many needs.

traeger23 said:
Here's a really good comparison of how the Hero 3 Black captures at the various resolution and FOV settings. It will give you a good idea about what to expect from each.

http://abekislevitz.com/understanding-your-new-gopro/

One generally good rule of thumb is to capture as big as you can (based on your expected output size and your storage limitations) and resize in post-production. You can generally keep detail when scaling down, but not scaling up, and again, having extra detail on the edges of your frame will give you more options for a better final image.

Excellent reference - thanks!

Just started using a GoPro 3+ Black, in 1080p@25.

Props in ATTI mode are very very prominent.

Cropping in post is fine, but is it better to go up to 2.7 to do this, or, should I try and avoid the problem altogether and drop down to a lower resolution?

I would be interested to hear what others do.
Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers