Best Video Hosting Site

Reaction score
Hi Gang

What's the best hosting site, YouTube or Vimeo?

I'm thinking for a 2-3 minute video (max 5 min) at 1080p.

Did a search and found nothing.

Many thanks.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

YouTube is free and you would be able to upload a video just fine, plus you can make money off your uploads.

Vimeo is free but limited to 500mb uploads, or you can pay monthly to have more upload space, and i don't think you can make money from ads on it also. But i think videos get compressed less than YouTube videos do, so you will get a better image on Vimeo. But personally i would use YouTube.

Many thanks. I'll probably stick with YouTube. YouTube is also the second most used search engine after Google so they would be easier to find.

Reactions: Green Phantom
Or you can put the videos into your own web space and avoid the ads, etc. Most of us have web space provided by our ISP that never gets used. I appreciate the "free" aspect of YouTube, but for free you get inundated by ads and if you want someone to view your content, why would you send them someplace where right after your video, they will be shown someone else's video. Depends on the experience you want to give your user.
1. Here is my video for you to view.
2. here is my video, ads, and other videos unrelated to my videos.

And the search engine is yet another issue. If your audience is whoever you choose to share the video with, then SEO is pointless. If you aren't putting videos up for a particular audience, and instead are offering your videos to the "world", I would go with YouTube.
If you go with YouTube, and care about searches, then you might want to study up on keyword usage and that you write sufficient descriptions so the search engines can properly locate your video.

Thanks omniround, I work on the keywords etc.

The thing I like about 3rd party hosting is that they look after a graceful fallback if the viewer has a low rate feed, etc.

I'm assuming the "?" refers to my comment on the graceful fallback.

When you upload a file to youTube, they look after providing a format suitable for the viewers platform (PC/Mac/iOS/Android) and, if the viewer has a slow connection, providing a lower-res feed. If I self host on my website, I have to provide different formats (WMV/MOV etc.) and different resolutions myself.

I'm assuming the "?" refers to my comment on the graceful fallback.

When you upload a file to youTube, they look after providing a format suitable for the viewers platform (PC/Mac/iOS/Android) and, if the viewer has a slow connection, providing a lower-res feed. If I self host on my website, I have to provide different formats (WMV/MOV etc.) and different resolutions myself.

Thanks for explaining but I frankly am not found of downsizing or image reduction to deal with slow web speeds. I try to provide content at the highest quality that is reasonable. The viewing software can cache the data and be displayed as available or pause, wait until it downloads, then play it.

For awhile now my video guru (shoots video for the networks, ESPN, etc.) has defaulted to M4V. With a little Googling I found this option:

Sandvox Tips: Choosing the Right Video Format

Sounds like you can dump your videos in and it generates the right code and a Flash alternative to take care of browser compatibility.

My personal DSL provider, CenturyLink seems to have serious performance problems. Some evenings I have to use my phone instead of DSL if I want to get on the net. I have learned to be patient and cache the videos I want to view. I launch the video, hit pause, go and do something else, and come back and watch it.

I remember upgrading from my 110 baud model to a 300 baud modem and thought life couldn't get better :)

Thanks for explaining but I frankly am not found of downsizing or image reduction to deal with slow web speeds. I try to provide content at the highest quality that is reasonable. The viewing software can cache the data and be displayed as available or pause, wait until it downloads, then play it.

For awhile now my video guru (shoots video for the networks, ESPN, etc.) has defaulted to M4V. With a little Googling I found this option:

Sandvox Tips: Choosing the Right Video Format

Sounds like you can dump your videos in and it generates the right code and a Flash alternative to take care of browser compatibility.

My personal DSL provider, CenturyLink seems to have serious performance problems. Some evenings I have to use my phone instead of DSL if I want to get on the net. I have learned to be patient and cache the videos I want to view. I launch the video, hit pause, go and do something else, and come back and watch it.

I remember upgrading from my 110 baud model to a 300 baud modem and thought life couldn't get better :)[/QUOT I have always had much better luck with cable than DSL. I fig's offered to you in your area I would strongly recommend calling them and let them tell you why it's faster. The old notion of it's a Party Line is way outdated. The speeds today are just too fast to matter. 1000 covers everyone , in any crowded big city

id say use Youtube, easy to use, lots of good info, get on Tube Buddy as well which is like an add on for Youtube to gather info on your videos. Also, Touch Wood, i find it has no issues from my experience which is a bonus

Hi Gang

What's the best hosting site, YouTube or Vimeo?

I'm thinking for a 2-3 minute video (max 5 min) at 1080p.

Did a search and found nothing.

Many thanks.

Mike

I would like to suggest a third option, namely the drone video/photo sharing site AirVuz: AirVūz Drone Videos – United By Drone. AirVuz is now the second largest drone related website in the world after dji.com, and the largest (by far) dedicated to sharing of drone videos and photos. It is totally free, and you can upload videos of up to 4k resolution. Full disclosure: I am the founder and CEO of AirVuz.

I would like to suggest a third option, namely the drone video/photo sharing site AirVuz: AirVūz Drone Videos – United By Drone. AirVuz is now the second largest drone related website in the world after dji.com, and the largest (by far) dedicated to sharing of drone videos and photos. It is totally free, and you can upload videos of up to 4k resolution. Full disclosure: I am the founder and CEO of AirVuz.

yeh im there but noticed i dont get many views or comments on there compared to Youtube

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31