Best video card size for phantom 4

Reaction score
Hi folks,
My new phantom 4 is due to arrive tomorrow and I just assumed it would accept the standard size video card. I see now they use the micro size. I'm going to need to pick up one of these and curious to know what the best size and speed is to use? Was considering a 32 but wondering if that will be insufficient. Do most of you guys fly with 64?

Hi folks,
My new phantom 4 is due to arrive tomorrow and I just assumed it would accept the standard size video card. I see now they use the micro size. I'm going to need to pick up one of these and curious to know what the best size and speed is to use? Was considering a 32 but wondering if that will be insufficient. Do most of you guys fly with 64?
I normally fly with my 3 battery's and a 32gb card is plenty although I use a 64gb. But what ever size you purchase make sure it is ultra fast. Mine are 90 MB's a second and they work just fine.

Reactions: Opfor
I use the ScanDisk Ultra 128 GB you could get about 3 hours of recording with it. Don't buy a off-brand cheap SD Card. You need a Class 10 card to record 4k Video because it uses about 60 Mbps and cheap cards can't keep up with them. A 128 GB SanDisk is only 40 dollars while a 64 Gb is around 20.

Most of the speeds I see are either 48 or 80. First reply said he flew with one at 90mb's a second but I don't see those. Hopefully the 80 mb a second will do the job. Appreciate the replies.

There seems to be a bit of confusion about card speeds here....The P4 maximum bit rate for recording is 60 Mbps (megabits per second), and this is less than 8 MBps (megabytes per second). Any class 10 or faster card is adequate for you to use....the main advantage of using faster cards is the speed at which you can download your images to your computer using a card reader. Card write/read speeds are quoted in MBps not Mbps.
Personally I use 32 GB cards, and have a few of them....unless you download your footage each time you fly, you stand the risk of losing quite a lot of material if you're unfortunate enough to lose your drone with a large capacity card installed.

Reactions: JWH and Pharm
I use the ScanDisk Ultra 128 GB you could get about 3 hours of recording with it. Don't buy a off-brand cheap SD Card. You need a Class 10 card to record 4k Video because it uses about 60 Mbps and cheap cards can't keep up with them. A 128 GB SanDisk is only 40 dollars while a 64 Gb is around 20.

Are you able to record beyond 64GB on P4? It's news to me.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Most of the speeds I see are either 48 or 80. First reply said he flew with one at 90mb's a second but I don't see those. Hopefully the 80 mb a second will do the job. Appreciate the replies.
SanDisk Extreme 64GB microSDXC Full HD and 4K Ultra HD video, up to 90MB/s transfer speed. Search Amazon.

Opfor, the memory card that comes with the Phantom will work just fine. If you're looking to pick up some additional memory cards, look for cards that write at least at 40MB/s. You can find some good options here. As for the size, 16/32GB should be sufficient.

This is great to know. I just assumed it didn't come with one and was left up to me to pick it up on the side.

what the best size and speed is to use? Was considering a 32 but wondering if that will be insufficient. Do most of you guys fly with 64?
The idea that bigger/faster/more expensive must be better is a common one but is probably the wrong way to go with cards for the Phantom.
Faster won't do much for you (as long as it meets DJI's speed recommendations)
There are plenty of reasonably priced cards that meet the specs.
As for bigger ... you use about 0.5 GB for a minute of 4K video.
If you wanted to film in 4K from start to end of a full battery, you'd need10-12 GB, which is less than the standard 16GB card.
Or you can fit thousands of photos on a 16GB card.
If you value your images, it makes sense to keep them on the ground after a shoot and not keep sending them back in the air every flight.
Several 16GB cards that you can swap after each flight make more sense than one super-sized mega jumbo card.
Here are some of what I use:
i-Cwd27g9-L.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic