Best upgrades on Phantom V1.1

Reaction score
I just wanted to share my opinion on the best upgrades adding value to a Phanton V1.1 (apart of FPV which for me is really personal preference)

1. Phantom 2 propellers: Increase flying time (by around 30%) and stability (factory balanced). Be careful with the copy that you can find at a reduced price on ebay. I've got them first but they are not balanced and created a lot of jello effect. Theoretically you can balance them but it is tricky since the nuts are incorporated on the propeller

2. Lipo 3S 2.700 mA 30C. Those are the one that I've got : http://www.studiosport.fr/batterie-lipo-3s-2700-mah-pour-dji-phantom-p-2722.html but I know there are many of those that provide equivalent performance at a smaller price. It is a very good upgrade compared to dual battery for instance to increase your flying time. Be careful on how to fit them in, they are so wide that the traditional way will not work, you have to plug them first the cable and then put the wires in first and then slide the battery in, this way it will fit perfectly without need to do any mod.

3.DJI Mini OSD: It is actually requires DJI Naza PMU V2 and mini OSD. I've got them here: http://www.helipal.com/dji-iosd-mini-on-screen-display-module.html and http://www.helipal.com/dji-naza-m-pmu-v2.html. One of my best investments, for me it has already payed off, a couple of times I was confused with the battery and I've put on the phantom an empty one. You can monitor voltage, you have an indicator to return home and the best is that you do not have to get another GPS that make things a lot more complex.

I do not have a gimbal for the time being so I cannot provide any feedback

Hope this could help someone that is thinking on investing on some upgrades

M

Currently I have a set of carbon props on my Phantom 1 that are supposed to be balanced from factory, but I don't know 100% since I don't have the tool to check. Would you say I'd be better off getting P2 props and dump the carbons I have on it now?

hovikg said:
Currently I have a set of carbon props on my Phantom 1 that are supposed to be balanced from factory, but I don't know 100% since I don't have the tool to check. Would you say I'd be better off getting P2 props and dump the carbons I have on it now?
I would say it depends on the performance that you are having and whether you are having jello effect on your videos or not.

I can say the DJI Phantom 2 propellers are good for both, jello effect and performance. You can always compare ;)

M

hovikg said:
I just installed the Zenmuse on it and do have some slight jello. Don't know if it's due to props or not...

That is usually the factor that is creating more jello effect on the videos. I would say you should try to balance them or get the DJI Phantom 2 propellers. This should help!

Colombus said:
I just wanted to share my opinion on the best upgrades adding value to a Phanton V1.1 (apart of FPV which for me is really personal preference)

1. Phantom 2 propellers: Increase flying time (by around 30%) and stability (factory balanced). Be careful with the copy that you can find at a reduced price on ebay. I've got them first but they are not balanced and created a lot of jello effect. Theoretically you can balance them but it is tricky since the nuts are incorporated on the propeller

2. Lipo 3S 2.700 mA 30C. Those are the one that I've got : http://www.studiosport.fr/batterie-lipo-3s-2700-mah-pour-dji-phantom-p-2722.html but I know there are many of those that provide equivalent performance at a smaller price. It is a very good upgrade compared to dual battery for instance to increase your flying time. Be careful on how to fit them in, they are so wide that the traditional way will not work, you have to plug them first the cable and then put the wires in first and then slide the battery in, this way it will fit perfectly without need to do any mod.

3.DJI Mini OSD: It is actually requires DJI Naza PMU V2 and mini OSD. I've got them here: http://www.helipal.com/dji-iosd-mini-on-screen-display-module.html and http://www.helipal.com/dji-naza-m-pmu-v2.html. One of my best investments, for me it has already payed off, a couple of times I was confused with the battery and I've put on the phantom an empty one. You can monitor voltage, you have an indicator to return home and the best is that you do not have to get another GPS that make things a lot more complex.

I do not have a gimbal for the time being so I cannot provide any feedback

Hope this could help someone that is thinking on investing on some upgrades

M

Colombus,

Thanks for sharing your experiences...

I've just bought a v1.1.1 and will be upgrading it to fly with a gimbal and either a GoPro, Sony or maybe even a key chain camera. Not sure what gimbal yet but I've got time to do a little research before the weather lets me fly again.

I'm going to be concentrating on aerial photography but will later delve into FPV. Did you find installing the DJI Naza PMU V2 and mini OSD difficult?

It's nice to find another P1 owner... lets keep in touch.

I have the 1.1.1 as well, and have added the ZenMuse (great eBay seller at $299!) and GoPro 3+ Silver. All works amazingly well.

Vs. the PMU I went with the upgraded main board. Highly recommended. The soldering / desoldering isn't bad AT ALL (I'm a novice, and it was simple) and the cleanliness factor and integration is well worth it. It's about the same price either way, and both require soldering. But if you go with the PMU and the GCU (?) from the ZenMuse, you're going to have two modules (weight) plus a spiderweb of cabling that's otherwise unnecessary.

I should be getting my P2V props from B&H Photo any day now, but need to figure out what to do on the gain front. I've heard you need to adjust (decrease?) the gain on the P1 due to the increased lift afforded by the new blades. Any tips there are appreciated.

Adam

adam12hicks said:
I have the 1.1.1 as well, and have added the ZenMuse (great eBay seller at $299!) and GoPro 3+ Silver. All works amazingly well.

Vs. the PMU I went with the upgraded main board. Highly recommended. The soldering / desoldering isn't bad AT ALL (I'm a novice, and it was simple) and the cleanliness factor and integration is well worth it. It's about the same price either way, and both require soldering. But if you go with the PMU and the GCU (?) from the ZenMuse, you're going to have two modules (weight) plus a spiderweb of cabling that's otherwise unnecessary.

I should be getting my P2V props from B&H Photo any day now, but need to figure out what to do on the gain front. I've heard you need to adjust (decrease?) the gain on the P1 due to the increased lift afforded by the new blades. Any tips there are appreciated.

Adam

Create a separate post.....most won't see/read this one.
I'd like to know too, how people are adjusting with the P2V props.
Sadly, I have a P1 1.2, so I have to buy that chinese knock-offs, as I don't have self-tightening props.......

As for your questions about gain adjustment-I've not seen a thread on it, yet..

Colombus,

I've just bought a v1.1.1 and will be upgrading it to fly with a gimbal and either a GoPro, Sony or maybe even a key chain camera. Not sure what gimbal yet but I've got time to do a little research before the weather lets me fly again.

I'm going to be concentrating on aerial photography but will later delve into FPV. Did you find installing the DJI Naza PMU V2 and mini OSD difficult?

Hi adam12hicks

Good luck with your upgrades, my advise is that you choose first your camera and then start looking for a gimbal, since normally gimbal is for specific camera models. I am actually not aware of gimbals for non gopro cameras, but I haven't research neither. You can find mounts to control tilt and pan but I am not sure about stabilizing the video.

Sure, let's keep in touch. Keep on flying...

M

Colombus said:
Colombus,

Hi adam12hicks

Good luck with your upgrades, my advise is that you choose first your camera and then start looking for a gimbal, since normally gimbal is for specific camera models. I am actually not aware of gimbals for non gopro cameras, but I haven't research neither. You can find mounts to control tilt and pan but I am not sure about stabilizing the video.

Sure, let's keep in touch. Keep on flying...

M
Currently, yout only really good choice is the Go Pro 3 Black edition(not plus), if you can find one. The Zenmouse Gimbal is about the best out there. I can tilt...and, there is a 3rd axis "kit" out there that will stabilize the yaw axis.

All this "stuff" you add onto your Phantom really eats up battery time. My fully equipped Phantom 1.2 without prop guards, flies to the 1st level warning at 5:30. With 2700 mah batteries, add 2 minutes to that time.
Prop guards will subtract at least 1 minute off you flight time. The general rule of thumb is for every gram over 1000, subtract 1 second of flight time.

Ordered them, they came in. About an inch larger than originals or the carbon props I used. Haven't tested in flight yet, but hope it works. Downside - because they are longer than originals it barely fits in the case anymore...

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj