Best tablet for the $$$? Phantom 4.

I use the ipad air 2 , it is expensive but it's worth it , I am not married so I can buy whatever I like ;)
My thinking exactly. My iPhone, even though it's a 6s Plus, is too small as an FPV monitor and my iPad mini is WiFi only - no GPS. So I went for a used iPad Air 2 cellular. I'm well pleased with my choice as it has everything I could possibly want in a tablet.
Tony.

Weird, I have the iPad 3 and when I tried to download the Dji go app its saying my device isn't compatible? I checked for updates but it's states all is updated. Is this iPad too old?

WillZX14-R
Phantom-4-Pilot

Weird, I have the iPad 3 and when I tried to download the Dji go app its saying my device isn't compatible?
The iPad 3 is not compatible with DJI GO. Try a device from this list.

I use a Galaxy Tab 4 Wi-Fi version, and it works well. You do need a tablet extender, but the tab cost $250 new. 10.1 inch screen

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

I have a Samsung 10.1" (older Costco version) but it will not fit into the P4 controller. You need not go taller than 6.6" in width to barley fit the stock controller clamp, but the 10.1" Samsung is 6.9" tall and will not fit unless you buy the plastic clamp extender off Amazon for $11. That makes it fit, but on my 10.1" Samsung, the USB mini-port jack is on the bottom and dead-center so when it is placed into the controller in landscape mode, the USB cable connector is right where that small slot is in the bottom clamp of the controller. Really a bad design there as the slot is far too narrow for the plug. So with the cable added it cannot sit flat on the clamp even with the extender, and it can rock on the USB plug if you try it. It sort of works, but it's not that stable. You can slide it off to the side so the plug is off the clamp's side and not in the slot, but then the whole thing feels off center.

I bought a 9.7" screen (Apple iPad Air 2 + Cellular for the GPS part) and it barely fits into the controller clamps by a 1mm clearance and doesn't need the extender, and the cable exits the right side and not downward into the controller's clamp. Much better fit. The Apple also is far superior in that it breaks video up less, okay no breakups on mine at all, over the Samsung 10.1" and even their S6 Edge phone too. I suspect that is more to do with the DJI-Go Android app, or maybe the data stream over the Apple Lightning plug is faster than the USB-mini system on the Android.

Mack

I just got my P4 and the extender. I tried to fit my i pad in it and noticed the same problem with the cable. If I was going to use the i pad
I would just cut the slot for the cable a little wider. Got to use my Dremel tool for something. :)

Just picked up a Brand New (sealed) Ipad Air 2 ($349 including ship) b/c I noticed that it'll work based on msinger's post. Should fit the P4's RC right?

Heres my take

U r better off with a $30 fpv google and litchi app if u have a fast phone

Having a fast enough tablet is very important for smooth viewing. A cheap tablet won.t cut it.

Tablets also fail in that the picture quality is affected by glare on a sunny day even with a sunshade

I started with iPad mini no cellular upgraded to a iPad air2 with cellular. I wanted a bigger screen with cellular so it could update maps and the dji go app without linking to my phones hotspot. Also the cellular on the iPad may give slightly more accuracy in gps position for the drones flight controller etc.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I also use an iPad Air. But I haven't found a decent setup to mount the iPad on the remote controller. It is larger and heavier than other options. My iPad usually ends up on the ground beside me.

Is anyone using the iPad Mini 2 or 3? It looks like using the full iPad Air might be a bit clunky. Is the additional screen size worth it? Also, does the new Retina screen help in bright sunlight?

Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers