best tablet for PV2+

Reaction score
IM after a new tablet to use with my PV2+. I currently use an iPad mini which is good but i always wear polarised sunglasses which darkens the screen so much. Any thoughts on an android tablet about the size of iPad mini?

I have had good results with the Newer version Nexus 7.

Samsung Galaxy Tab S with Super AMOLED display. I tried a plain Galaxy Tablet and iPad Mini w/Retina display and sent them both back for the Tab S

I've tried to use the Galaxy 10.1 and 10.1 S and both close back to the main menu after a few seconds.

I too prefer the larger monitor over my phone.

Denny

I have "Old Eyes" so I like my 10.1 Samsung Galaxy Tab S with the super sharp screen.... needed when running FPV. It is surprisingly well balanced on the controller and works 100%
The twigs you can see attached are supplied and fitted by Horizon Antennas, and the bird has had a full full Stage 3 upgrade, so can really get out there way beyond LOS (also have Flytrex Live fitted to the bird.... A must have).

I know exactly how you feel. I was using an iPad mini with no cell. I had to buy a "hoodie" to use it in any kind of sunlight. I worked well but limited my using the better features in the android versions of control programs. i.e. lovecoffee. Tried some samsung and even a Nexus 7. I finally settled on the Sony Z3 Tablet compact. It offers the longest batty life, (for me about 2 days of use or 10 hours of solid video play), it's waterproof, weighs less than all the rest, and here is the best part...I can see the screen in all but the brightest sun light. Add to that the posted Sony support foe Lollipop and the fact that it takes 128 gb microsd card and it beats my iPad mini to a pulp. Don't get me wrong, I am using a mac, but I just have fallen off the iPad bandwagon when it comes to them try to "control my user experience".

I have already talk to Mark at MR Designworx and he working at producing the same great clamp that he provides for iPad minis. I don't work for Sony and I have a boatload of tablets and phones here but the Xperia Z3 is amazing. I now use both a Z3 phone and Z3 tablet. Read the reviews and make your choice.

John

Hey Kev, I have Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.1 as well.

How are you able to get display as I don't see it has an HDMI Input

Edit: looks like you're flying Phantom Vision? I'm flying Phantom 2 non vision

Bought the tablet due to the display, just wish there was a way to use it on P2

Kev the Frog said:
I have "Old Eyes" so I like my 10.1 Samsung Galaxy Tab S with the super sharp screen.... needed when running FPV. It is surprisingly well balanced on the controller and works 100%
The twigs you can see attached are supplied and fitted by Horizon Antennas, and the bird has had a full full Stage 3 upgrade, so can really get out there way beyond LOS (also have Flytrex Live fitted to the bird.... A must have).

I have installed the iPad app off of iTunes for my recently purchased ipad mini and it doesn't work properly. I have seen videos of people using the ipad for FPV but I have reloaded the app several times and it is still flaky. I found the android app works well but I thought I might get a better view with the retina screen?
Any advice? Actually the app says for iphone I have not seen any for ipad only. I just saw an app update which says ipad, iphone but cannot find an ipad only one on iTunes.

Kev the Frog said:

What FPV Application are you running?

Denny

R4boat said:
I have installed the iPad app off of iTunes for my recently purchased ipad mini and it doesn't work properly. I have seen videos of people using the ipad for FPV but I have reloaded the app several times and it is still flaky. I found the android app works well but I thought I might get a better view with the retina screen?
Any advice? Actually the app says for iphone I have not seen any for ipad only. I just saw an app update which says ipad, iphone but cannot find an ipad only one on iTunes.
:D
Yep, iPad mini works off the same app as the iPhone. I don't do any app updates until a few weeks after they're released. DJI is known for having bugs in updates.

What exactly is not working properly? Can the pad not see the Phantom wifi?

I just link the tablet up with the Phantom WiFi, I run either the DJI App, or (the one I prefer) ilovecoffe's "Pre release App" on the Tablet.
The improved Video link (achieved from the stage 3 antennas on the bird and the pilot end) result in a smooth 15fps video link from the phantoms camera, without lag or dropout.
More than good enough to fly FPV when the bird is on a mission or just out of sight due to distance or height.

Kev the Frog said:

What is the reason I'm getting a blurred 'pixelated image' on my I pad Air versus my Android Note 3? Does it have to do with the settings I've introduced in the DJI Vision app? What are peoples favorite video/camera settings in the app? I'm flying Vision+ V3.

What would be a good tablet for in the sun? Any recommendations on the Android side of things?
I have transition type glasses that can get very dark in the sun/cold and have great trouble seeing most phone displays.

Thanks for the insight. I am having issues also as far as viewing the screen. I purchased the (expletive) iPad Mini and it works ok but the app is crappy. My Galaxy tab works the best but still have a rough time in the sun, even with the sunshade on. Hmmm may try to get rid of the ipad mini 3 and look at the Xperia.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31