Best tablet for p3s

Reaction score
I am looking for a 7"tablet to use as my phone is a bit small S6 edge. What do you guys use with little issues.

You can find a list of recommended and commonly used tablets here.

I checked the list but would like to know what people use and which is best apple/android?
I have an android phone but would consider getting an ipad if it's better.

I checked the list but would like to know what people use and which is best apple/android?

I was using an iPad Air but it was to big and heavy. My iPhone was to small. So I got a Nvidia Shield K1 and it is just the right size. Much cheaper than an iPad Mini and it has a compass. It is my first android device so there was a learning curve but it work great with my P3S and P3A.

I fly my P3S with both my Galaxy 5S (works great) and a iPad Mini 2. Wanted a larger screen and iPad Air is too big. I went on eBay and got a deal on a used Mini 2 WiFi. It works and looks great. Ordered a tablet holder and hood. Good combination.

I actually compiled that list from keeping track of what people are saying they use :)

The recommended devices on that list are either devices DJI recommends or devices that people most commonly use. If you want the best possible experience, then go with one of those recommended devices.

I use a Nvidia Shield K1. Works fantastic. Plus it has a screen record option.

Hi. I'm a total newbie. Trying to foond the right thread, but I'm sure you guys can help.

Ive just bought the phantom3 Pro. I've got a samsung Tab 4 7inch, BUT, i have read far too many threads about issues with android, inlcuding App crashing, time lag etc. So, as much as I dont; want to spend more money (my wife is already on my case!), I don;tt want to put my bird in the air with any extra risk.

So, I'm looking at getting another Tablet, most likley to have next to no issues. I used to be an Apple person, until I realised their products just didn't meet my business needs; and so I went to Android (Samsung ever since).

From what i've read, it pains me to say that the IPAD Mini 2 or higher looks like ot gets the best wraps. But, I'd rather not go there.

Can someone advise if the NVidia sHIELD k1 would be one of the best options if I stuck with Android? I will use this tablet solely for flying my P3.

If so, is a 16gb model sufficient, obvioulsy with expandable SD memory.

Can someone confirm i definitely DO NOT NEED a cellular model?

Thank you for your help.

Can someone advise if the NVidia sHIELD k1 would be one of the best options if I stuck with Android?
The Nvidia Shield K1 and Google Nexus 7 (2013) are both great Android devices. I own both and they both perform well.

If so, is a 16gb model sufficient
Yes. If you need to cache video on the tablet for some reason, then you'll just need to clear it off more often. If you're not going to cache video, than 16GB will be plenty of space.

Can someone confirm i definitely DO NOT NEED a cellular model?
You do not need a cellular model. You can either cache the maps before you head out to fly or tether your tablet to a phone to get an Internet connection when out flying.

Reactions: mcphipps
The Nvidia Shield K1 and Google Nexus 7 (2013) are both great Android devices. I own both and they both perform well.

Yes. If you need to cache video on the tablet for some reason, then you'll just need to clear it off more often. If you're not going to cache video, than 16GB will be plenty of space.

You do not need a cellular model. You can either cache the maps before you head out to fly or tether your tablet to a phone to get an Internet connection when out flying.
I also use the Nvidia Shield K1. Works great for me.

For those using a Nexus 7 what operating system do you use? I found a deal to get a Nexus 7 using 4.1 jelly bean,dont know if thats good or bad
I've also found a deal on a Lenova 32gb thinkpad running honeycomb 3.1 or a Samsung galaxy tab 4 8gb with 4.4 kitkat.All 3 of these I can get for 100 bucks or less and if I buy one today I will get another 25% off.
They are manufacturer refurbished with 90 day warranty

Last edited:
For those using a Nexus 7 what operating system do you use? I found a deal to get a Nexus 7 using 4.1 jelly bean,dont know if thats good or bad
As far as I know it has to be a Nexus 7 2nd generation (2013). For some reason they have excluded the first generation. Good luck!

As far as I know it has to be a Nexus 7 2nd generation (2013). For some reason they have excluded the first generation. Good luck!
Thanks but does it matter what operating system is on the Nexus 7 (2013) ? Do you know what operating system is usually on the & (2013)?
thanks

Thanks but does it matter what operating system is on the Nexus 7 (2013) ? Do you know what operating system is usually on the & (2013)?
thanks
Ok, So I'm running Lollipop 5.0.2 on one (32 gig 2013). Now for my primary (16 gig 2013) I'm running Marshmallow 6.0.1 Just got it and am making it only for flying. Both are wifi only.... Android versions.

There is a difference in the way 6.0 runs. I think it can access more features of the DJIGO app.

I found a Kocasa tablet on Goupon that was under 50 bucks shipped so I took a chance on it.It actually worked decent,some lag but not too bad.But then I tried to do the follow mode and it said it needed GPS which this tablet didnt have,that was something I forgot about.I was able to send it back.

The thing is I dont see how anybody sees anything in bright sunlight with whatever tablet they have.Sunshade helps a tiny bit but not much.I had a 7" monitor with sunshade on my Phantom 1 and it was extremely hard for me to see anything on it.I thought about bringing some black cloth to throw over my head and put monitor under it,that would be quite a sight:)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers