Best Sunglasses

Reaction score
My sunglasses are polarized which makes following my Phantom great, but it makes it impossible to see my cell phone screen. Has anyone found the best sunglasses for both situations? Any advice?

Am getting optometrists to bang together split screen glasses/sunglasses for me to fly with, sort of like bifocals ... need my reading glasses to see/read phone screen when head down, need sunglasses to see quad when looking up :) ... hopefully wont cost much.

I use a pair of Maui Jim's that are polarized. I need to hold my phone at the right angle to see anything when wearing them.

Yesterday I took my Phantom up and forgot my sun glasses. Really stupid move. I have super sensitive eyes and a few times I was blinded by the sunlight while trying to navigate my copter.

JaysDMC said:
I use a pair of Maui Jim's that are polarized. I need to hold my phone at the right angle to see anything when wearing them.

Yesterday I took my Phantom up and forgot my sun glasses. Really stupid move. I have super sensitive eyes and a few times I was blinded by the sunlight while trying to navigate my copter.

Same problem I have. I am wondering about a non polarized solution. Just wondering if someone makes glasses for this purpose. Like RC flight glasses or something like that

I've been wondering about this too. I can't wear my sunglasses and fly. Well, I can fly - I just can't see anything on my phone. And I try not to fly into the sun. I wear glasses all the time so just buying some cheapo Walmart sunglasses won't work very well.

I cobbed up a cardboard sun visor for the phone so that helps, but some sort of sunglass solution would be great!

I'm a photographer working in southwest France where the light is very bright in spring, summer and autumn. I too have sensitive eyes and need protection all the time when I'm outside (otherwise I squint and then get a headache).

I wear specs normally and I got my optician to make me a pair of prescription glasses with a graduated tint, so they are light at the bottom and dark at the top. They're about the same size as a pair of Ray Ban Aviator. The look was fashionable back in the day and, like all fashion trends, it's coming back ;-)

They work great when I'm shooting and they also worked well for the few days I had my P2V. I could look up and fly the P2V without squinting and then look down at my Nexus 5 and see clearly the FPV and flight telemetry.

Of course they don't have to be prescription

I use Oakley... Holbrooks... with the ruby iridium lens... non polarized.

The ruby, or amber (ruby is better in my opinion) colored lens in some of the better sunglasses is superior for contrast in bright light- I learned all about it from riding motorcycles and on bright sunny days, nothing pulls those objects in from the shadows better- which is important when riding through rural America on the back of an iron horse as the yardsharks are numerous and they bolt from all manner of strange places. The same principle works for tracking the Phantom.

On another note- I have had cataract surgery in my right eye... so the bright light can be bothersome for me.

P2V Noob here, Shout out to the membership.

I have been impressed with Gunnars.
I have a big head and found the RPG line very light, and with a graduated tint, as above, with a good fit for me. They have different styles based on head size. Strangely, Gunnars labels them as "asian fit". I am neither Asian, nor do I have, what I think they are getting at, a smaller size head. Yet these fit well, as do the Steel Series Desmo pair I have.

They're pretty durable and nice thing about wearing them in winter is that you can wear a toque (that's beanie for the non-Canadians on here :) and put the arms of the glasses outside your toque while still keeping your ears warm.

I have problems with many other types (Oakley Romeo's, Juliet's, and even OilCans) irritating my head just above and behind my ears due to the arms of the glasses. These do not do so.

I have a set of amber-lensed ones that I use for details / indoors when watching a screen (which is what I do for a living). Not as strongly orange / yellow as some other brands, and have a LITTLE bit of magnification built-in
http://shop.gunnars.com/rpg/d/1059_c_200

I also have a set of graduated tint ones for outdoors but was unable to find them in the shop. YMMV

For those of you who wear prescription lenses, I see that they can accomodate that too.

Interestingly, they also have a line called Phantom. Who knew :geek:

Thanks to everyone for the great information on here.

fanredwings said:
I have a set of amber-lensed ones that I use for details / indoors when watching a screen (which is what I do for a living). Not as strongly orange / yellow as some other brands, and have a LITTLE bit of magnification built-in
http://shop.gunnars.com/rpg/d/1059_c_200

Never heard of these... but I love them. My style, and the tech sounds interesting- may have to get a set... but I need to have correct color vision for my puter work... graphics and shizz.

If you don't need a correction, but need reading glasses - these are perfect because the reader part is not darkened. On eBay:

Polarized Bifocal Hunting / Fishing Tanner +2.00 Brown / Amber Polycarbonate

cxwing said:
If you don't need a correction, but need reading glasses - these are perfect because the reader part is not darkened. On eBay:

Polarized does not work well with a cell phone screen. Polarized lenses have tiny lines running through them that make them look tinted. Those lines crisscrossed with the lines on the cell phone display and can cause it to go darker. I think a gradient tint must be the answer from what I see or Amber/rose colored lenses. I was hoping that there was a specially designed type of sunglasses for this task. One of those RC enthusiasts secrets.

That is what makes these perfect because the reader lenses are clear, with no polarizing or darkening.

cxwing said:
If you don't need a correction, but need reading glasses - these are perfect because the reader part is not darkened. Cn eBay:

Perfect, i just bought a pair. I will let everyone know how they work. Only 19.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polarized-Bifoc ... _369wt_925

Hiway said:
Never heard of these... but I love them. My style, and the tech sounds interesting- may have to get a set... but I need to have correct color vision for my puter work... graphics and shizz.

Most of the styles are available in clear lenses if you need correct colour. Other than the small magnification and UV reduction it's controversial if they help reduce eyestrain but your line of work is what these are designed for. I'm sure there are competitors out there

I have mostly been using these

images

Reactions: cmyk22
PhantomDave said:
cxwing said:
If you don't need a correction, but need reading glasses - these are perfect because the reader part is not darkened. Cn eBay:

Perfect, i just bought a pair. I will let everyone know how they work. Only 19.99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Polarized-Bifoc ... _369wt_925

These did not work out. The magnification point is to close. If you hold your controller any lower than your chest you can't read the screen. On my with my search

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik