Best single item to protect the gimble?

I'm totally with your choice of protective bits! I have not seen the lexan gear extensions, they sound like a great idea! (Although I hand catch mine).[/quote]

Do you hand take-off? I like to hand catch too if I can, but you will absolutely love the stability these things give on the ground for take off on any surface (like grass)!

Moose

Moose, sorry -- I didn't really mean you when I said "you". I was just referring to anyone reading this thread.

The Intertia Guard design is very unique and should offer as much protection as the Killer RC Gimbal Saver. The pictures on fastsmiles' site don't do it justice.

:lol:
No I don't hand launch, I use my GP case or backpack for that. Gets the bird off the ground so I can see the lights. Most places I fly the grass is knee high or nonexistent.

KillerRC, please post that link. I'd like to see it.

KillerRC, they say the greatest form of flattery is imitation. Personally, With over $1369.00 for phantom, $200.00 for case, $220.00 for 3 year insurance policy for phantom, about $88.00 in carbon fiber props, if I am going to buy something for my investment, I am going to spend that extra $20.00 for the best looking, best protecting product on the market.

Thanks for the link!

Now, we just need someone to tell us the Interia Guard saved them in a crash and then everyone will be happy. Kind of like the Phantom Fix. One person said it saved their Phantom -- another said it burned out their gimbal motor.

Perhaps we'll see similar stories about the Gimbal Saver too. If you hit the pavement at the right speed and right angle, perhaps that'll bend and/or break apart. I'm assuming you did not do any kind of testing like that though. Nor did any of the other gimbal protector makers either I bet.

Here's the thing: you need something to prevent gimbal separation, AND you need something to prevent the gimbal from being hit. There is not one product that does both.
And if you have a bad enough crash, nothing is going to save you. Just because we have air bags in cars these days doesn't mean we've solved road deaths, and just because
we have road deaths doesn't mean air bags are useless. Same goes for seat belts. And just because you have air bags, doesn't mean you shouldn't wear seat belts or avoid
any other safety features of your car.

I am getting a little tired of Mr. Killer saying that anyone copied "HIS" design. The fact is that in early August of this year my Phantom2plus crashed. I got into a running argument with a Chinese gent named Tenna Zhang over their refusal to sell me a ribbon cable. I decided that their days of screwing the American public should be shortened. I looked at the problem and decided that the only logical method of stopping separation would be a wrap around finger to deter the separation and I came up with the admittedly crude but effective Phantom Fix. Since I didn't have a machine shop I had to make them by hand. They sold about 600 copies and I had two complaints during that time and probably 50 Thank Yous for saving cameras. In about October a number of other people started making things with 3-D printers and Killer announced that he would making an overmachined, sleek new model of the wrap around. Now you must remember that this guy did none of the early fighting on behalf of Phantom owners . He starts making his wrap around and suddenly the concept becomes his design and I am copying and "stealing" his design. He says patent pending but if we check we will find that mine was pending long before his. And we will also find that his patent attorney obviously overcharges like he does for not finding that. I am sure a number of you have read of the German kid who fell 1200 feet and his camera survived with the old tape model, This one bolts on and has twice the width of the finger than holds it. Since I made money off of the original, the new ones are being made in a machine shop on a laser so uniformity is guaranteed. I think the mark of a real inventor is solving the problem as inexpensively as possible. The $22.00 price will always hold due to the fact that it is the amount DJI wanted to ship me a ribbon cable. I like them seeing that number. Anyone I wholesale to has to promise that they will also charge $22.00. So that is the real story, not the one Killer likes to tell. Anyone wanting to view some of the early e-mails with the people at DJI just has to ask me. I kept them all. By the way Killer RC, I AM FLATTERED.

I guess we are now allowed to advertise here so:

WWW.DJIPHANTOMFIX.COM

clingermac said:
I am getting a little tired of Mr. Killer saying that anyone copied "HIS" design. The fact is that in early August of this year my Phantom2plus crashed. I got into a running argument with a Chinese gent named Tenna Zhang over their refusal to sell me a ribbon cable. I decided that their days of screwing the American public should be shortened. I looked at the problem and decided that the only logical method of stopping separation would be a wrap around finger to deter the separation and I came up with the admittedly crude but effective Phantom Fix. Since I didn't have a machine shop I had to make them by hand. They sold about 600 copies and I had two complaints during that time and probably 50 Thank Yous for saving cameras. In about October a number of other people started making things with 3-D printers and Killer announced that he would making an overmachined, sleek new model of the wrap around. Now you must remember that this guy did none of the early fighting on behalf of Phantom owners . He starts making his wrap around and suddenly the concept becomes his design and I am copying and "stealing" his design. He says patent pending but if we check we will find that mine was pending long before his. And we will also find that his patent attorney obviously overcharges like he does for not finding that. I am sure a number of you have read of the German kid who fell 1200 feet and his camera survived with the old tape model, This one bolts on and has twice the width of the finger than holds it. Since I made money off of the original, the new ones are being made in a machine shop on a laser so uniformity is guaranteed. I think the mark of a real inventor is solving the problem as inexpensively as possible. The $22.00 price will always hold due to the fact that it is the amount DJI wanted to ship me a ribbon cable. I like them seeing that number. Anyone I wholesale to has to promise that they will also charge $22.00. So that is the real story, not the one Killer likes to tell. Anyone wanting to view some of the early e-mails with the people at DJI just has to ask me. I kept them all. By the way Killer RC, I AM FLATTERED.

I guess we are now allowed to advertise here so:

http://WWW.DJIPHANTOMFIX.COM

Are you the bracket maker who allegedly was contacted by DJI and pressured to stop selling or making his brackets? If so, would you mind posting the email or proof? Thanks.

Lots of butthurt in this thread. Who give a crap? I like elegant design with sophisticated machining. Some people prefer cheap and hand-made that accomplishes the same purpose. I bought KillRC's gimbal doo-dad and it has met my every expectation. For all I know, clinigermac's would have done the same, but I decided not to go that way. I frankly don't care who copies whom...it's not a ball game and I'm not emotionally invested in the winner. The rest of you can root for whomever you consider to be the home team, I'm just glad I had a choice and could purchase the product that I find most satisfactory.

Well, that's true for the most part; we're all here to get information and basically have fun with our Phantom.

That being said, gimbal/camera protection-wise, lately, I've been reading quite a few posts that strayed into negative marketing, rather than being informative, where DjiPhantomfix, in particular, bore the brunt of the negative slant. However, to his credit, DjiPhatomfix did the right thing and just hung back in all this.

I don't have a dog in this fight either, but it so happens that I got the Djiphantomfix a few months back and whilst I don't know if it's better or worse than any of the other protectors, for the simple reason that I haven't crashed my copter yet, it so happens that I'd received awesome service by Djiphantomfix.

Incidentally, I received a total of two Djiphantomfix brackets and when I read about the gimbal binding when a bracket apparently had bent in after a poster's crash, I tried forcing my spare bracket to bend in by manually squeezing it as hard as I could. Just FYI, it wouldn't bend a millimeter. Just saying folks.

Happy flying!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues