Best Shutter speed settings for sharp Hyperlapses?

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I am thinking of making a true Hyperlapse with my Phantom 4 pro, so in order to produce a 10sec 24fps hyperlapse, I have to take a picture every 5sec -the shortest setting in app- moving the P4P with the speed of 2,2Km/h for 21 minutes.
Every minute the P4P will capture 12 pics, so 12 x 21 = 252 pictures, devide with 24fps, 10,5 sec Hyperlapse.

My question is about the shutter speed settings in order to capture the sharpest picture, because the P4P will take photographs while it is moving.

Making research about it, for capturing moving objects there is a table with shutter setting in order to have the less blur. In this case the object is still but the camera (p4p) is moving, so I suppose it is the same situation.

So, the speed of 2,2Km/h equals to 1,37mph, dividing 5mph with 1,37 we have 3,65.
As the photography table says about blur and shutter speeds, the P4P with the 1/8000 shutter speed, it will produce 0,08mm blur while moving and with the 1/2000 shutter speed, it will produce 0,3mm blur to the image.

In P4P the 1/2000 is mechanical and the 1/8000 is electronic, so which one you think is the most reliable for producing the sharpest photograph while moving the bird with the above speed?

Have any of you made Hyperlapses?

I know... a lot of maths... but quality needs precision!
How_to_shoot_fast_moving_objects_photography_cheat_sheet-650-80.jpg
Shutter_speed_photography_cheat_sheet_for_fast_moving_subjects-650-80.jpg

the first picture is the blur that is being produced from the moving object (or camera from a still object I think)
the second picture is the speeds and the blur in mm for each shutter setting

Hi, I've made hyperlapses with me P3P, and shutter speed is not a issue. Our drones have wide angle lenses (not like your exemple), and when you're in the air, you won't see any blur, even when the drone is moving. Best way to shoot hyperlapses is to use waypoint mode in litchi. You can also use the timer mode (you're not limited to 5sec interval, it will depend on the sdcard speed, with an Sandisk Extreme Pro, you can shoot at around 4sec in RAW with a P4Pro but it's the app that tells to shoot pictures and sometimes you may loose one picture).

An other thing, the higher the drone is, the better, you'll have less perspective issue if the drone doesn't really keeps it's altitude perfectly.

You can see some exemple of drone hyperlapses I've done on that video :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I use Hyperlapse on my iPhone but I've not tried to make a hyperlapse video with my P4P. I may be missing something but why not take 21 minutes of video and speed it up?
that not true hyperlapse and the quality is superb, first of all the Adobe DNG RAW footage which gives you the ability to grade it in Lightroom with amazing results and second the image size wich is 5472x3078 pixels at 24fps! The Inspire 2 can capture DNGs at 30 and 60fps but needs SSD and costs a lot of thousands. P4P can capture DNGs as pictures only and with this technique you can have the same quality with Inspire 2!

Hi, I've made hyperlapses with me P3P, and shutter speed is not a issue. Our drones have wide angle lenses (not like your exemple), and when you're in the air, you won't see any blur, even when the drone is moving. Best way to shoot hyperlapses is to use waypoint mode in litchi. You can also use the timer mode (you're not limited to 5sec interval, it will depend on the sdcard speed, with an Sandisk Extreme Pro, you can shoot at around 4sec in RAW with a P4Pro but it's the app that tells to shoot pictures and sometimes you may loose one picture).

An other thing, the higher the drone is, the better, you'll have less perspective issue if the drone doesn't really keeps it's altitude perfectly.

You can see some exemple of drone hyperlapses I've done on that video :
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Thanks for the advise. I made one with litchi today but the stability of the drone was not ok. it could not keep it's altitude at 40 meters and it was very obvious. I have the extreme pro 90 which I can capture cinema dng in bmpcc but P4P gives me interval of 5sec! Another thing is that P4P is diferent than P3P, camera is 24mm and it has focus

You will have perspective problem at 40m. Here in France the max atlitude is 150m, and I will never try hyperlapses below 100m (you'll have problem 90% of the time).

For the interval, just find "Timer' in the camera settings, you'll be able to go below 5sec. I also have a P4P, once the focus is ok, it's not a problem (it won't refocus on each picture). And 24mm or 20mm, that don't really change a lot, it's still wide angles.

Reactions: Mindflights
that not true hyperlapse and the quality is superb, first of all the Adobe DNG RAW footage which gives you the ability to grade it in Lightroom with amazing results and second the image size wich is 5472x3078 pixels at 24fps! The Inspire 2 can capture DNGs at 30 and 60fps but needs SSD and costs a lot of thousands. P4P can capture DNGs as pictures only and with this technique you can have the same quality with Inspire 2!

I get it. Thanks for explaining.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

You will have perspective problem at 40m. Here in France the max atlitude is 150m, and I will never try hyperlapses below 100m (you'll have problem 90% of the time).

For the interval, just find "Timer' in the camera settings, you'll be able to go below 5sec. I also have a P4P, once the focus is ok, it's not a problem (it won't refocus on each picture). And 24mm or 20mm, that don't really change a lot, it's still wide angles.
2 secs are for jpgs and 5 for dngs the smallest interval. Sometimes I prefer dng with all this amazing amount of information, despite the huge amount of data, 40mb per image

Στάλθηκε από το 5095K μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen