Best settings for bright sun?

Reaction score
Attached is a screen shot, on the left is 1080 60fps AUTO......on the right are the same settings with the Polar Pro ND 2 filter. Its a very bright day, what if any are the best settings for bright sunlight? Or am I just better off sticking with a 2 or 4 filter?

Thanks

P3 Pro
Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 1.10.37 PM.png

If the one on the left is set at auto then you have problems.

Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 1.38.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-09-06 at 1.39.02 PM.png
If the one on the left is set at auto then you have problems.

Yes, just rechecked and it was shot on auto. Two more screen shots......both again at 1080 60fps. The video is fine when not in bright or when in shadows. As sun as it hits the full sun it gets washed out. When I have the ND filter on it looks pretty good.

I did try the "Sunny", "Cloudy" etc... settings. Having it on Sunny helped but not much

Last edited:
On a bright day I use a minimum of ND16. I'm
Currently using dji's nd16 filter. Once a little bit of clouds come out I switch over to my Polarpro ND8

If the sun makes you squint, then ND16 is minimum. If it's bright but it feel comfortable, then ND8.

I've yet to find a use for my ND4 Polarpro and nd2-16 gels from phantoms filters.

Reactions: Meister and jhoke
View attachment 29806 View attachment 29807

Yes, just rechecked and it was shot on auto. Two more screen shots......both again at 1080 60fps. The video is fine when not in bright or when in shadows. As sun as it hits the full sun it gets washed out. When I have the ND filter on it looks pretty good.

I did try the "Sunny", "Cloudy" etc... settings. Having it on Sunny helped but not much

If mine ever looked like that it's because that yellow exposure ring was not closed. I don't know what it's call so I refer to it as the exposure ring. It appears when you tap on the screen and can be hard to get closed at times.

You are misunderstanding the use of filters if you think they are to avoid washed out over-exposure.
The phantom can easily do a correctly exposed image or video on even the brightest days, but the shutter speed might need go higher than is desirable.

If auto isn't giving good results use manual and have the histogram on screen if the bright light makes it hard to see if things are blown out.

You are misunderstanding the use of filters if you think they are to avoid washed out over-exposure.
The phantom can easily do a correctly exposed image or video on even the brightest days, but the shutter speed might need go higher than is desirable.

If auto isn't giving good results use manual and have the histogram on screen if the bright light makes it hard to see if things are blown out.

Thanks, one of the reasons I could really play around with the setting was because it was so bright out my iPad screen was washed out. I'll need to find some shade tomorrow and play around with the settings. I know what the filters are normally used for, however it did a great job to avoid over exposure

Thanks, one of the reasons I could really play around with the setting was because it was so bright out my iPad screen was washed out. I'll need to find some shade tomorrow and play around with the settings. I know what the filters are normally used for, however it did a great job to avoid over exposure

Be careful where you find shade! I was having a hard time seeing my screen so I walked over towards a barn(shade) then it lost GPS. I also have a hood for mine, does nothing. Just ordered a anti glare screen protector. Hope it works. Plus block the sun with your body if you can.

Reactions: FASTFJR

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4