Best range mod?

Sorry but I believe my testing with this mod is done. I cannot get any further than 1700ft and when I reach the max distance I instantly lose both signals then bang RTH.

I'm not sure how some guys are getting 11,000ft and up to 17,000ft with these antennas?

I guess the Alfas aren't for everyone.

Last Wednesday I reached 10,656ft with my DBS with plenty of signal left. I also had Matts Birdside dipole antenna mod installed and it kept my signals very well balanced.

Hmmmmmmm maybe you have a defective m25. Anyway at least you get good signal with dbs. I have argtek right now. Stock i went 2000ft. With argtek my furthest was 5200ft. I got 3 alphas on the way hopefully i can squeeze 8000ft out of them if not i will cry at the fact i should have got dbs in the first place lol

Wow [emoji15] I just got 2,709 feet with the stock antenna!!! I can't believe you guys aren't getting over 3,00 with Alfalfa and Argtek

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hmmmmmmm maybe you have a defective m25. Anyway at least you get good signal with dbs. I have argtek right now. Stock i went 2000ft. With argtek my furthest was 5200ft. I got 3 alphas on the way hopefully i can squeeze 8000ft out of them if not i will cry at the fact i should have got dbs in the first place lol
I'm very happy with the DBS and now I'll be getting close to the 3 mile club once I install my Sunhans signal boosters.

Anyway, I tested the Alfas agin today but this time I installed three M25's and same results, short range and instant signal loss then RTH. The M25's are dual band so they should work on the control as well as the wifi.

I installed DBS itelite little over a week ago and recent range tests don't come close to what you guys are getting. Yesterday I reached 5000' before I lost both RC and video signal. I have been flying at an altitude of 75 m (about 250 feet). For those of you that are getting a much better range than what I am getting, can you tell me what altitude you are flying???

IMG_1895.jpg
For sure the higher you fly the stronger the siggy remains.

I'm registered with the FAA and know the laws but this area is pretty desolate with no airports anywhere near so I climbed a little higher than normal.

View attachment 76759 For sure the higher you fly the stronger the siggy remains.

I'm registered with the FAA and know the laws but this area is pretty desolate with no airports anywhere near so I climbed a little higher than normal.
Hhhhm, that is almost three times higher than my tests. Have you any records of tests you did at lower altitudes? Very curious to see how my setup stacks up. I would try to max out my alt but not at the current location with too many curious onlookers. ;)

Reactions: G Tek Fab
Here's a little lower and again lots of signal left.
IMG_1889.jpg

After spending hours and hours of reading forums, failbook, and watching YouTube vids I'm convinced it's location, location, location.

After spending hours and hours of reading forums, failbook, and watching YouTube vids I'm convinced it's location, location, location.
Oh I believe you but seeing the two results makes me feel a bit more confident about my recent tests. Your ratios of distance over height are approximately 17-21 (i.e. 17 X 625=10625, 21 X 443=9300) My ratios (5000/247=20.) are almost identical and believe I may very well reach similar distances if I double/triple my alt. ;)

Reactions: G Tek Fab
Excellent, now sack up and push that right stick forward!

Btw, I'm currently waiting on two 2.4GHz sunhans boosters and a 12vdc power supply to boost my signals even further. I've already got the 5.8 sunhans, just waiting to put them all together.

Wow [emoji15] I just got 2,709 feet with the stock antenna!!! I can't believe you guys aren't getting over 3,00 with Alfalfa and Argtek

The area that you fly in has everything to do with it. At my house. I'm happy when I get to 2200 feet (that's the shore of the near by lake). At my Uncle's house (he lives 3 miles away from me) I got over a mile and could have easily kept going.

Don't forget to mention your sweet wifi antenna mod kit Matt!

Ok I'm off to test the Alfas one more time. I'll report back in a few hours.

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC
I have to admit I'm addicted to these threads as I debate range extension, but at the same time I find it extremely curious that there isn't one particular tech that is clearly dominant.

But then I started thinking that the same is true of other tech... how do you make a car go faster? No one answer... Bigger engine? Higher rpm's? Less weight? Better aerodynamics?

Until now I had myself convinced that DBS was the way to go... before that, I was considering ArgTEK. Now I have to look into this Alfa whatever...

Thanks a lot Matt. [emoji15]

Hang in there guys, I tried going out the past two days and it was just too over cast with way too much moisture in the air.

Thursday looks to be a very nice day to test.

Reactions: Matts175

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj