Best quality video settings in P4 Pro? 4K disappointing.

Reaction score
Hello,

I have spent some time trying to get the video in 4K better, but finally it always gets 'pixelized' after You Tube compression.

Here you can find link to one video I prepare, first 50 seconds (and some parts further) are done with P4P.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

4K, 30fps, h264, ND8 filter, 1/60 shutter, some parts ISO 100 + D-Cinematic and some with D-Log (ISO 500), in camera settings set as -3, -3, -3. Processing in Final Cut Pro X, color corrections and sharpening. Still really terrible look when scaled down to 1080p. The rest of the material (from Olympus EM1 Mk II) is perfectly sharp, fantastic.

Is that something known about Phantom 4? Is it so bad in 4K when there are fast moving objects and the scene is not lit so well?

Any suggestion as to what settings/resolution is really best and gives great results? It seems that video is a bit disappointing, at least not what I expected. Thankfully, photos are really great!

Thanks for any suggestions! Would be really helpful, as I'm getting frustrated :)

Cheers,
Marcin

Reactions: Craig H
I've been having similar questions. Here's some I just put together:
I was shooting at 1080, 120fps. I can't tell if it's the P4P, my computer/editing, or youtube causing some weird blocky graininess, but my original files do display some of the same issue. Textures too complex? I did watch your video in full screen and in 1080 and then in 4k. There is a big difference, even though my monitor isn't even a 4k monitor.

I feel like downsampling a 4k or 1080/120fps file should still get great results, but maybe not. I'm no expert on video editing, I just mash buttons until it works.

I haven't tried 265 myself, mostly because it's not compatible with many devices yet. Not sure that my video editor can use it either.

Hello,

I have spent some time trying to get the video in 4K better, but finally it always gets 'pixelized' after You Tube compression.

Here you can find link to one video I prepare, first 50 seconds (and some parts further) are done with P4P.

4K, 30fps, h264, ND8 filter, 1/60 shutter, some parts ISO 100 + D-Cinematic and some with D-Log (ISO 500), in camera settings set as -3, -3, -3. Processing in Final Cut Pro X, color corrections and sharpening. Still really terrible look when scaled down to 1080p. The rest of the material (from Olympus EM1 Mk II) is perfectly sharp, fantastic.

Is that something known about Phantom 4? Is it so bad in 4K when there are fast moving objects and the scene is not lit so well?

Any suggestion as to what settings/resolution is really best and gives great results? It seems that video is a bit disappointing, at least not what I expected. Thankfully, photos are really great!

Thanks for any suggestions! Would be really helpful, as I'm getting frustrated :)

Cheers,
Marcin
Try this- Go to your camera settings in your app... NOT video... set resolution to 3:2. This is the correct setting for 4k. Edit using proxie footage then output to 1080P. See if this helps! It worked for .me...

Aaaandd... trying to understand aspect ratio gave me a headache. Understanding Aspect Ratios

Not convinced that there is one correct setting for anything. I'm not looking forward to setting aside a whole day to shoot in every possible format to see what works best.

...hmmm, was thinking about my mavic and the fact that if you set the sharpness to anything below "1" it will kick in its horrible noise reduction software and turn details into mushy watercolor paintings...maybe try a sharpness setting of "1" and see if that helps?

Try this- Go to your camera settings in your app... NOT video... set resolution to 3:2. This is the correct setting for 4k. Edit using proxie footage then output to 1080P. See if this helps! It worked for .me...
Im having alot problems with my new p4pro. Pics are real blurry and my vids are not savong as a vid? It only is taking a blurry screenshot wer the vid should start? I had the p3 before this one with no issues. Please help me!! I did hour of filming of a family event and near all my footage sucked! Very dissapointed...

Hello,

Cheers,
Marcin

After further experiments, my original footage is good, but I have to be very careful of my settings when rendering an edited video. The software I use isn't very intuitive and I do know I've rendered with wrong settings before. After further viewings of your video on different screens, I think it may have more to do with the screen and/or video card than anything. If I can watch at better than 1080, it looks good. 1080 or lower I see the issues you're mentioning. I also see a difference on some of my screens in windowed vs full screen playback.

I see the same on my videos, and I wonder if it's just how youtube downsamples these for streaming, combined with the complex textures of something like treetops or beach sand and the movement of the drone. Some of my beach shots looked a little iffy in their original files, but not nearly as bad as the youtube results.

I almost lost my sanity with this issue. Youtube apparently needs a key frame every so often (so I discovered) to maintain high quality. You tube can handle 240 fps if I recall correctly.
I'm not sure what other solutions are offered here but my solution was powerdirector 15 which has a youtube interface and does it all for you. The quality is as recorded. Try a trial version free.

bump. im having the same issue any solutions. I've been shooting 4k ( both versions ) and UHD, I've shot everything at 60fps for slow motion, D-LOG ( locked ISO 500 ) and usually i think i've been at a higher aperture which I've read on here can result in some bad quality issues. I figured this wouldn't be a problem since its a really decent drone and a better sensor. Plus i see some great footage on YouTube even footage from some mavic pro's looks better....kinda.

Revisiting this topic, I found this video, skip to 9:09, very useful. I haven't tried it in the field, but I think some of my quality issues are the aliasing and moiré mentioned here:

I've shot some things with the tips in the video I posted. Slightly reduced sharpness and contrast has helped with noisy textures. Also decided I didn't like any of the color settings so I'm going with 'none' instead of Cinelike or D Log. Haven't edited things yet, but I'll post when I get around to it.

That tip video is from Jan of this year, is it still applicable now? Sorry I just bought the p4, new to this

Yes, the camera hasn't changed, and none of the updates have changed the way the camera software records. Moire and aliasing can happen with any camera so knowing what it is when you see it is helpful. I wonder if the sensor size in the P4P camera makes it more susceptible to the problem.

Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 9.20.00 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 9.19.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 8.58.28 PM.png
Aaaandd... trying to understand aspect ratio gave me a headache. Understanding Aspect Ratios

Not convinced that there is one correct setting for anything. I'm not looking forward to setting aside a whole day to shoot in every possible format to see what works best.

So we found a very interesting aspect of youtube when watching 1080 HD as compared to when we watch it on VImeo.
The fact is 1080 HD looks horrible on a 27 and 30 inch computer monitor however 1440 P looks really really good , as we do not find much difference between that and 4K and that is saying a lot.

We also watch 1080 HD on the 80 inch screen samsung and it looks terrible , but now we use 1440 and instant clarity.

This is not quite the same with watching 1080 HD on vimeo where the Picture is much cleaner on the 1080 HD very interesting.
We now are going to encode mostly at 1440 as we feel that really represents well on the bigger screens , which many of us have now of course.

If you watch the video below in 1080 HD it is not that clean, you can see a soft picture but jump to the 1440 and Bam ,Nice clean clarity on the snow flakes and such.
Jump to the 4K and not so much of a difference at all.

Pay attention to the flakes and ripples in the water , you can see that jump to 1440 pays off big.

We wont ever go 1080 HD again as to many people have large screens.

Something else we noticed also is that the 4K DJI footage from the drone renders completely differently than the 4K on the Sony 6500 and demands much more rendering for smooth playback including Optical Flow. FYI

Screen Shot 2017-12-23 at 8.58.28 PM.png

Here is another example of how 1080 HD fails poorly, notice the details on the DUCK and than jump from 1080 HD to 2K and Boom , those clean lines we love to see are back. This is much more dramatic watching it on Youtube as there compression ratio is way off.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan