Best place to mount video TX?

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering getting a FPV system for my P2.
I have a question about the tx power (eg. 600mw) being so close to the Phantom 2 innards and the possibility or unwanted interference.

Has anyone had issues with interference from the video transmitter with it being mounted so close the to the internal circuitry ?

Maybe I should mount it on the leg opposite from the compass instead, or use a lower Tx power (200mw) with a better antenna?

Not looking for stupidly long range, around 700m would be nice.

I'd hate to have the onboard NAZA crash and reboot in flight due to EMI/EMC... That could result in a flyaway I suppose.

plenty of amateurs (like me) install FPV setups themselves on a Phantom and there's no trouble with the internal wiring / interference as long as it's done properly. Until recently it required some soldering but there are plenty of places now selling pre-made cables like if you're putting in an iOSD Mini and ImmersionRC 600mW you just buy one cable that plugs in a few places and boom, done. I went the Boscam route (make sure you understand the difference between the 2 "families" of video transmitters, frequency ranges, etc) so I did the soldering manually like in the below video.
It's also a commonly held belief around here that the power draw between video transmitters we typically use (200-800mW) are negligible power draw in terms of flight time for the Phantom, so you can try for a lower power one but if you can spare the extra few $ just go for 600mW or so... better to have power you don't need, then need power you don't have.

watch the first half of this video, it's how many of us have our iOSD mini located, wiring done (it may not be an exact 1-to-1 for your setup but the concept is there), and Video Tx located. I personally used 3M double sided outdoor tape, 2 layers and I feel like it's rock solid.
I think that video will help... it mentions making sure your transmitter is off to one side so you don't get in the way of the battery... anso fyi some people turn the transmitter 90 degrees so it points "sideways".. basically the same thing as long as your antenna hangs down properly

No problem with either IRC 250mW or 600mW causing interference with P2 core, or if it's there, it's invisible to me. Both transmitters have been mounted underneath, at times with Velcro, at times with double-sided tape. Battery access an issue, but learned that P2 inverted is much easier to access battery release buttons than right side up, if your vTx is close to battery release buttons. I use a 2" extension on the Fatshark antenna, and usually point it straight aft, and down about 45 degrees.

Kelly

wkf94025 said:
No problem with either IRC 250mW or 600mW causing interference with P2 core, or if it's there, it's invisible to me. Both transmitters have been mounted underneath, at times with Velcro, at times with double-sided tape. Battery access an issue, but learned that P2 inverted is much easier to access battery release buttons than right side up, if your vTx is close to battery release buttons. I use a 2" extension on the Fatshark antenna, and usually point it straight aft, and down about 45 degrees.

Kelly

Any issues mounting the iOSD inside the P2?

Aerial Media Pros mounted my iosd mini inside and I have not seen any problems yet. Only 6 flights under belt.

ddublu said:

only if you break something.... the physical location of the iOSD is irrelevant as long as it's connected to the CAN-BUS... trying to deal with mounting it on the outside is just silly.
The video I linked above shows how to remove the CAN-BUS connector and re-assemble it back up in the Phantom body for a nice clearn install. This way has the added bonus of not having cables strung all over the outside of the Phantom... all the connections except the feed out to the Video Tx stay in the body. much better that way imo

QYV said:
ddublu said:

only if you break something.... the physical location of the iOSD is irrelevant as long as it's connected to the CAN-BUS... trying to deal with mounting it on the outside is just silly.
The video I linked above shows how to remove the CAN-BUS connector and re-assemble it back up in the Phantom body for a nice clearn install. This way has the added bonus of not having cables strung all over the outside of the Phantom... all the connections except the feed out to the Video Tx stay in the body. much better that way imo

Sweet..thanks. Everything will be here Wednesday....like a kid at Christmas. I picked up one of those plug and play cables as well. Even for the electronics NON savvy this hopefully wont be too tough to install everything.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.