Best place to buy a DJI Phantom (2) in the UK?

Reaction score
Past experiences for those from the UK who have bought a DJI Phantom 2 over here, which online retailer would you recommend buying one of these from?

I bought mine from DroneShack.com. excellent after sales service. They even got back to me same day after they queried DJI Europe with an early problem I had.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

If you can have a face to face conversation with someone who's local to you then, for me that's the first place to start. I was lucky in as much as my local model shop sold me my Phantoms. Their service was brilliant and obviously I could walk in if/when I had/have issues. If you can't walk in then at least someone who picks up the phone or answers an email.

Marionville models provided some great email response to my many inane questions even though I've bought (as yet) nothing from them.

Firstpersonview also provided some great advice and service http://www.firstpersonview.co.uk/

Try them out before you buy is one way, but you also want to be assured that if you have a problem then you've got somewhere to go.

Bmews

Got mine from rcgeeks.co.uk. Ordered online on the Sunday, despatched on the Monday, here on the Tuesday by 9:30am. Free postage.

Thanks for all your replies, very helpful. I had thought of buying one of these a couple of months ago, then put it off, then again about a month ago which was put off again by things which kept cropping up and didn't get around to spending time considering my options. Is £699 the very best deal for a brand new DJI Phantom 2 with Zenmuse H3-3D gimble from a DJI reseller, or are there any discount codes? BMEWS I did email firstpersonview.co.uk about a possible discount but unfortunately they can't offer me one as it was just a short-term offer they had going at the time. I would be happy even with 5% off.

DJI have most of the dealers by the plums so there's very little margin in it for them. If it were me and price is the point you're basing your decision around you could always look at 2nd hand. There's plenty of UK members who are selling their kit as they upgrade or move onto pastures new. But that leaves you little wiggle room in terms of support if the kit is a duffer.

However I think the 700 mark is about where you'll be looking for a new P2 with H3-3D. You've got to stick another few quid on for a gopro (unless you've already got one) and then there'll be the bag, case, backpack or other mode of transport. Then you'll want a flytrex, FPV setup :) and you'll wonder how deep your pockets are going to have to get.

Then you'll need to bargain in a few quid for 3rd party insurance (which is a no brainer for peace of mind). You'll go flying, you'll have a blast and realise it's all worth it before you start to think hmmmmm maybe I need a hex? and it all starts again :D and that doesn't even include DJI or gopro or whoever else bringing out newer versions to tempt you to part with even more cash 30 seconds after you bought your brand new machine ;)

OR. you'll get it out of the box, give it a flight, not read the manual, not do any research online, crash it, debate whether you can con the dealer to replace it (which you won't as they've seen this time and time again), blame the technology or just come clean as some do :)

Research is your friend. There are literally hundreds of really good people who are happy to share their myriad of experience with you so long as you do some of the research yourself and not just expect to be handed everything on a gilt edged silver platter. And i'm most certainly not saying or implying that's what you'd do. However, you'd be surprised how many come onto forums and just demand answers, which are staring them in the face if only they'd look a little harder :D

hope that helps

Bmews

BMEWS said:
DJI have most of the dealers by the plums so there's very little margin in it for them. If it were me and price is the point you're basing your decision around you could always look at 2nd hand. There's plenty of UK members who are selling their kit as they upgrade or move onto pastures new. But that leaves you little wiggle room in terms of support if the kit is a duffer.

However I think the 700 mark is about where you'll be looking for a new P2 with H3-3D. You've got to stick another few quid on for a gopro (unless you've already got one) and then there'll be the bag, case, backpack or other mode of transport. Then you'll want a flytrex, FPV setup :) and you'll wonder how deep your pockets are going to have to get.

Then you'll need to bargain in a few quid for 3rd party insurance (which is a no brainer for peace of mind). You'll go flying, you'll have a blast and realise it's all worth it before you start to think hmmmmm maybe I need a hex? and it all starts again :D and that doesn't even include DJI or gopro or whoever else bringing out newer versions to tempt you to part with even more cash 30 seconds after you bought your brand new machine ;)

OR. you'll get it out of the box, give it a flight, not read the manual, not do any research online, crash it, debate whether you can con the dealer to replace it (which you won't as they've seen this time and time again), blame the technology or just come clean as some do :)

Research is your friend. There are literally hundreds of really good people who are happy to share their myriad of experience with you so long as you do some of the research yourself and not just expect to be handed everything on a gilt edged silver platter. And i'm most certainly not saying or implying that's what you'd do. However, you'd be surprised how many come onto forums and just demand answers, which are staring them in the face if only they'd look a little harder :D

hope that helps

Bmews
Big +1

A few pennies more is much less important than good after sales.

Quad copter UK have served me well- but their email response has become a little less efficient.

Top of the tree, for me, has been First Person View. Highly recommended.

I bought my Phantom v1 plus Aeroxcraft Gimbal and Hero camera from Buzzflyers who are based in Suffolk and I've had excellent customer service from them and can thoroughly recommend them.

I agree with the 'don't cheap out' sentiment. Go with a local dealer or one with large web presence with a lot of experience on the net, forget the price. There a lots of different packages out there making it hard to compare prices directly but the long and the short of it is that they all broadly the same relatively speaking, you may save a bit on one accessory and loose on another. If you can help penny pinching, find another hobby.
The Phantom is a complex rather temperamental bit of kit with lots of quirks that are are still being ironed out in firmware updates. Forums are a great way to find solutions but there's still no substitute for being able to contact an experienced dealer.
I've used RC Geeks and Quadcopters UK. I can recommend both

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj