Best Phone for Outdoor Bright Light

Reaction score
Time for a new phone. My Samsung Galaxy 2 is useless in bright light. Can't see anything at all on screen. Considering an HTC One. Supposed to have the brightest screen available. Anyone using one of these or having good results with something else?

grochester said:
Time for a new phone. My Samsung Galaxy 2 is useless in bright light. Can't see anything at all on screen. Considering an HTC One. Supposed to have the brightest screen available. Anyone using one of these or having good results with something else?

Honestly I really think they all suck in bright light. I've tried iPad, iPhone and Galaxy 3. I'm moving to the iPad mini so I can mount it on my transmitter and get a bigger display but I'll probably pick up iPad Mini Hoodi Sunshade to help with the glare and sun.

David

What ever phone has the highest cd/m2 brightness rating, will be the best one!

. . . No brand loyalty here!
. . . I don't care what features etc the phone has, when your standing in outdoor sunlight, the only thing that matters is the brightness rating . . .

So iPad mini actually fits in controller kit? That's pretty cool.

Would the iPad mini retina be a smart addition, due to its high quality screen?

tomwato said:

No it doesn't fit but there are several users that have devised a way to mount it with different type of brackets. That's my plan... just have to see which one I want to use.

David

Super-D said:
tomwato said:

No it doesn't fit but there are several users that have devised a way to mount it with different type of brackets. That's my plan... just have to see which one I want to use.

David

There's a pretty comprehensive thread here...

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4134&p=40001&hilit=ipad+mini#p40001

I have a new mounting kit coming tomorrow that will allow you to connect any 7" (or so) tablet to the TX. I'll add that to the thread when it arrives...

Actually... The reason I'm on here right now is to find a sun screen for my Nexus 7. I had it out for the first extended test yesterday and it was a ***** seeing the screen...

-slinger

I just found this...

http://www.proamusa.com/ProAm-7-LCD-Vid ... -p/p7h.htm

Just not sure that I'm crazy about attaching velcro to the front of my Nexus...

Not as much coverage, but no velcro...

http://www.theaccessoryking.com/arkon-a ... blets.html

Clip on... looks like it'll do the trick...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Anti-Sun-Shad ... 0594401076

After looking at all the offerings out there, I'm going to construct a temporary one (or two, or three) out of cardboard to see how large a hood is going to actually work properly. Then decide from there...

-slinger

Actually... The reason I'm on here right now is to find a sun screen for my Nexus 7. I had it out for the first extended test yesterday and it was a ***** seeing the screen...

-slinger

If you have ever seen those commercials for I think the readers and it shows the iPad there is a statement under it that says "Yes the iPad is on" because in bright sunlight you can't see a thing with it... in my opinion and experience.

grochester said:

I had the same problem with the Galaxy Note 2.I could not see anything with it in daylight. I made a sunshade for it out of thin cardboard, but that did not help much at all. I just upgraded to the Note 3 and it is much better, Although not perfect. I can use it in bright daylight without a sun shade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gunslinger said:
I just found this...

I'm in the same boat, and have been looking at the same ProAm 7" sunshade for my Nexus. I've tried an anti-glare film and polarized sunglasses, they aren't doing the trick, so a hood seems to be the next obvious step. I think the shorter hoods aren't going to be enough, a full one is needed. But you may be right, fabricating one with cardboard or plastic may be the first step.

Of course, FPV goggles are probably the final point in this quest, but that's an expensive path (and has it's own problems, like not allowing you see the Phantom directly).

MikeB said:
gunslinger said:
I just found this...

I'm in the same boat, and have been looking at the same ProAm 7" sunshade for my Nexus. I've tried an anti-glare film and polarized sunglasses, they aren't doing the trick, so a hood seems to be the next obvious step. I think the shorter hoods aren't going to be enough, a full one is needed. But you may be right, fabricating one with cardboard or plastic may be the first step.

Of course, FPV goggles are probably the final point in this quest, but that's an expensive path (and has it's own problems, like not allowing you see the Phantom directly).

I played around creating hoods for my Nexus today and nothing really seems to be working... :( :( :(

gunslinger said:
I played around creating hoods for my Nexus today and nothing really seems to be working... :( :( :(

Yea, just played a bit myself with some cardboard. The core problem isn't really the brightness of the screen, it's the brightness of the reflection of the sky behind me. Since the tablet is in front of and below me, it's mostly reflecting the bright sky behind my head. I'm starting to think a hat with a wide brim is going to be more useful than anything sitting on the tablet.

Maybe the next thing to look for is a matte screen protector, to reduce reflections?

MikeB said:
gunslinger said:

Yea, just played a bit myself with some cardboard. The core problem isn't really the brightness of the screen, it's the brightness of the reflection of the sky behind me. Since the tablet is in front of and below me, it's mostly reflecting the bright sky behind my head. I'm starting to think a hat with a wide brim is going to be more useful than anything sitting on the tablet.

Maybe the next thing to look for is a matte screen protector, to reduce reflections?

That wide brimmed hat might be a great idea. I was even thinking of extending the height (though that would be pretty awkward) so it was actually facing DOWN a bit...

Someone said they'd tried an antiglare screen protector and polarized sun glasses with no luck...

Sorry to preach . . .

Anti glare protectors could work but I'll break down the physics of it. A glass sheet will allow sight of whatever side has more light on it, so if you standing inside on a dark night with the light on you'll see a reflection of the inside of the house, where as, if you have an outdoor floodlight etc, and have that on without excessive indoor light, you'll see more of outside. Different glass reacts differently but this is a general property of most glass.

(From my days as a solar saleman) I know the sun has an average of 7~800Watts per square meter of power (W/m2) but to convert to screen specification terms, it's roughly 1.6×10^9 cd/m2 at noon! That's 1,600,000,000cd/m2! Now even if its only 0.01% light reflecting off of you, it's around 1.6 million cd/m2 casting off!

An anti glare screen cover will lower the light passing thru by a certain % but that also limits how much comes thru from the screen, shrouding the screen help stop direct sunlight from saturating the screen and reflecting nothing but sky or what's behind you. The best combo would be a high cd/m2 rated screen, shroud and anti glare protector.

:)

Based on my experience flying under a low, bright Florida winter sun, I think it's best to wear a dark shirt that will reflect less light and try to keep your back to the sun so that your body acts as a sun shade.

Also, be sure to manually set the brightness on your phone to its highest setting.

I'm going to try a sunshade, though. I bought one of the shades designed for an iPhone. It doesn't work on my Moto X, but I think I can mount it to a case that fits the Moto X. Simply taping it onto the case should work. Then I can just install the phone in the case to use the shade.

-- Roger

MikeB said:
gunslinger said:

Hmmm when you wrote about a hat, I was thinking, maybe some kind of a lightweight umbrella with a goose neck?

Klaus said:
MikeB said:
gunslinger said:

Hmmm when you wrote about a hat, I was thinking, maybe some kind of a lightweight umbrella with a goose neck?

Hmmm... Maybe?

http://gadget.brando.com/umbrella-tripo ... 3d003.html

-slinger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj