Best Part 107 Sample Test I could find...

Reaction score
I started studying for my Part 107 certification around the first of March and dug as deep as I could on the web for practice tests and such. Most of the 'sample tests' were the same set of about 40 questions that were just published over and over again.

Then, I found a sample test that had 120 questions at this link...

FAA Drone Exam Online Practice Tests | 3DR Site Scan - Commercial Drone Platform

These questions are very indicative of what the actual test was like. I passed with a 97. I can tell you for a fact that the 120 question sample test was good for practice on the things I was expecting AND it was good as a heads up on at least 3-4 questions that I was NOT expecting, but learned the details from the sample questions.

For those that might want more details on my test prep:

1. I probably put 10-12 hours into preparation.
2. I did spend 50 bucks for Tim Trott's video series. It ran about 2 hours of video.
3. I did read the Part 107 regulations from start to finish.
4. I made certain that I knew sectional charts forwards and backwards as they relate to air spaces, military operations, altitudes and obstacles. If you are not clear on a sectional chart you will likely fail this test or maybe just barely pass if you get 100% of everything else right.
5. I practiced reading METAR and TAF reports. Get an app for your phone called SmartPlates. This has all of the sectional information for the entire U.S. and learn to read the METAR and TAF weather reports by double-clicking on an airport and choosing the weather icon at the bottom. This app will present the RAW report data that you will be tested on AND it has a function to decode it and put it into layman's terms. This was VERY helpful to me.

The test was pretty easy. I missed two questions, one that asked about public or civil aircraft being regulated under part 107. I missed that one. I also missed a second question that asked me 'when does a load increase become significant'. Nothing in the test or the study materials mentioned this at all. While scientific significance would be reached once the data started to show a measurable shift, practical significance might be something else altogether. I shot in the middle and missed what they were looking for. I still do not know whether they were looking for the point at which it could be measured or the point at which it could become a real issue.

Look that 120 question test over. It is much better than the 40 something one that can be found in dozens of places.

Reactions: wassup8687
Thanks for the helpful information Jim.

I just searched for the SmartPlates app in the Google store and the app I found is regarding nutrition. Was the app for Android?

Thanks for the helpful information Jim.

I just searched for the SmartPlates app in the Google store and the app I found is regarding nutrition. Was the app for Android?

First off... that is funny. SmartPlates could also be a geology app...

Not sure what the Android equivalent would be. I have seen other iPhone apps that include the METAR and TAF reports but what I liked about this one was the ability to instantly put it into English to check your understanding of the raw report.

Sorry.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl