Best "one size fit all" camera settings to film in 4K?

Reaction score
I've found the following camera settings mentioned in a few places:

- 24 FPS
- Shutter Speed at 2 time FPS - Use ND Filter if necessary
- WB manual
- LOG profile
- Sharpness -2
- Contrast -3
- Saturation -2

Are these the very best "one size fit all" settings to film in 4K?
Why "one size fit all"? Because I don't want to (re)adjust settings all the time depending on the surrounding. I'm not a professional and have no intention of producing professional looking video, just "good" looking one ;)
Maybe by just keeping everything at "Auto" will do the trick...you tell me. But so far, I was able to produce much better looking videos from my Vision+ and all that without any kind of post-processing or color grading; so I'm pretty sure something must be adjusted/changed on the P3.

I know the LOG profile produce something quite flat, unsaturated and dull to watch. What do you do in term of "Post-Processing" to get good looking videos out of this?

What are YOUR very best settings?

Ladies and Gentlemen...start typing :D

AUTO is your enemy! If you're running 24 fps and the "general rule of thumb of 2x for the shutter speed" you're going to wash out your video. With the fps and shutter speed that low, you're going to get way too much light - the ISO can only go down to 100.

Now if you put something like an ND-8 filter in it - your numbers might work.

AUTO is your enemy! If you're running 24 fps and the "general rule of thumb of 2x for the shutter speed" you're going to wash out your video. With the fps and shutter speed that low, you're going to get way too much light - the ISO can only go down to 100.

Now if you put something like an ND-8 filter in it - your numbers might work.

What do you use?

If you want good looking video (without having to do the post-processing that we're many who want to in order to get the last drop of quality out of the P3 camera) I would suggest:

4K 30FPS
0 or -1 Sharpness
0 Saturation (maybe experiment with 1)
0 Contrast (maybe experiment with 1)

Color: "None" (Only use LOG if you plan to colorgrade)

Leave it in AUTO; BUT use the AE lock in order to not have the camera change the lighting while filming. Look (with the camera) at what you want to film (your main subject) and hit the tiny AE-lock icon up right side. You can also click the screen to get a yellow square to have the camera set the lighting for that part of the image (and THEN hit AE-lock). Note - AE-lock disengages every time you stop filming! So you have to do it every time.

I'd also suggest using ND-filter (and POL-filter) but who would I be to suggest something like that ;)

I think you need an ND8 and no less than 1/60 shutter speed. You will get too much blur lower than that. Shoot for 1/100 ISO 100. LOG mode. I use auto white balance. Play around with manual around 6700K

What do you use?

I have a set of ND filters (ND-2, -4, -8 and -16) from PhantomFilters. Very small, very thin and very lightweight. You unscrew the UV front of the lens and gently lay the filter inside then screw back on. No added weight to the camera/gimbal. I'm currently using an ND-8 filter - designed for bright sunlight.

I haven't tried it, but I think you can "stack" them. I would think the ND-16 would provide protection in a really bright sun.

Reactions: PhantomFilters

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj