Best "Monitor" for Phantom 3

The company that taught me for my CASA RPAS Certification, recommended the Samsung over the Apple because of a better graphics handling capability.
I'm not convinced, and for me would add another $800+ to the cost of one, but it's something I'll repeat here just in case it's any use to anyone.

I am Agree with you ezookiel, i got tired of wait and last night i went to bestbuy to get samsung galacsy 5 and is realy clear and fast for a price of 459 dlls, i thing i gonna keep it

I went to Best Buy to look at a Shield. To my shock they don't carry it. An even bigger shock was that it was nowhere to be found locally. No one carries it (Walmart, GameStop etc.). BB and GS used to carry it but that was last year from what they said so this isn't because a new one is coming. Must not have sold well I guess.

So I'll just wait for the iOS app. I probably was going to anyway but if the Shield looked really nice I probably would have bought it.

Man I bought an Ominus mini quad a month ago and pre ordered the P3P April 20.
What I know about drones could be uttered in about 3 sentences. Could you explain
Casa Rpas Cert. and that string that looks like your UAV and its features.
I won't learn if I don't ask. thanx

I went to Best Buy to look at a Shield. To my shock they don't carry it. An even bigger shock was that it was nowhere to be found locally. No one carries it (Walmart, GameStop etc.). BB and GS used to carry it but that was last year from what they said so this isn't because a new one is coming. Must not have sold well I guess.

So I'll just wait for the iOS app. I probably was going to anyway but if the Shield looked really nice I probably would have bought it.

Who buys a Tablet just to fly a Quad? I ordered one just for the HDMI out.

Looking at specs and utube reviews, one wonders why the Shield is not more popular (best kept secret?) I also read the Shield V2 comes out in July

If you have been reading this forum there are a hundred mentions of the Nividi Shield tablet, which has plenty of horsepower, and HDMI out. Unless you are locked into Apple, then just get an iPad Mini 2, mine works great, even in sunlight, the Shield is very reflective and will require a anti-glare shield as well as a hood, although a hood is a good idea for any monitor used outdoors.

F6Rider, what is your opinion of the mini's screen size? I plan on using my iPad Mini 2 but wonder if the screen is large enough. I know that may be a personal preference but I worry if the 10" screen tablets are too heavy and upset the balance? Would you mind sharing your opinion?

Looked into this a lot on inspire forums with many saying the ipad air 2 was to heavy for them after a few flights and using it on the controller. Im going for the mini 2 cellular and using it without sim as its not needed for the GPS to still work.

That's the same conclusion I came to, and what I have...

The company that taught me for my CASA RPAS Certification, recommended the Samsung over the Apple because of a better graphics handling capability.
I'm not convinced, and for me would add another $800+ to the cost of one, but it's something I'll repeat here just in case it's any use to anyone.

The DJi reps in these forums and others recommend Apple tablets, specifically the Mini 2 or Air 1. The Nvidia Sheild works fine too but they said overall they feel it's smoother on those 2 Apple tablets. The Air 2 tablet had some kind of hardware GPU accelerated issue with the DJi app which is why they aren't recommending it.

Reactions: leekiya
... Could you explain
Casa Rpas Cert. and that string that looks like your UAV and its features.
I won't learn if I don't ask. thanx

CASA is the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, they're Australia's equivalent of the FAA.
RPAS is Remotely Piloted Air System, which seems to be their preferred acronym for Drones/UAV/etc
The Cert was the Certification or licence that I obtained through a company here called FPV Australia. That licence covers me right up to sub-20kg class drones/UAVs/RPAS's

My signature says I'm flying phantom 2, but the company that sells it dissolves a sheet of pattern, in this case a fake "carbon fibre" pattern, onto the surface of a liquid, and then dips the shell through the pattern into the liquid, and the pattern wraps itself over the entire surface of the item.
It has an H3-3D gimbal under it, that allows the camera to stay quite still and stable whilst the Phantom moves around above it, it keeps rock solid video.
The GoPro 4 Black is the top of the line in Go Pro's - or was when I first got this set up.
The vtx is the video transmitter. It's what's mounted to the Phantom to send video back to me. It's an ImmersionRC 600mw so it's transmitting at 600 milliwatts and made by that company.
The antenna it's using is made by a company called FPVLR and the type (I believe) is a "Clover Leaf" which has 4 wire coils on it, and I really don't know much more than that about it.
That video transmission from the Phantom is being received by a 5 coil helical antenna made by the same FPVLR company.
My receiver (a 7 inch "Black Pearl" brand with 32 channels) is a "diversity" model, so it can have two antenna and use whichever one is getting the best signal at any given time. The 5 coil helical is great for long distances, but has to be kept aimed at the Phantom, so once the Phantom is in close, and I'd be dancing around in pirouettes trying to keep aimed at it, there's a FatShark brand "Spironet" antenna as well, which picks up the close in signals without having to be aimed directly at the Phantom.

You're more than welcome to ask, as 6 months ago I knew none of this stuff either, and learned it all by asking, or by just reading, here.

F6Rider, what is your opinion of the mini's screen size? I plan on using my iPad Mini 2 but wonder if the screen is large enough. I know that may be a personal preference but I worry if the 10" screen tablets are too heavy and upset the balance? Would you mind sharing your opinion?
IMHO (not worth much) a 10" tablet will make the controller too top heavy, my P2 controller was top heavy with Nexus 7, but the P3 controller is heaver and hopefully the monitor mount is in a more balanced position. I find the iPad Mini 2 to be just about the perfect size, and it is very light, lighter than the Shield. But as you stated, screen size is a matter of preference, some people will be happy with a phone. My iPhone 6+ was perfect for the P2, but that's me, with a HD feed I now want a larger screen. The iPad Mini 2 screen washes put some in sunlight but is not near as reflective as the shield. I almost got the Shield but a couple of things stopped me, both just me, not the tablet, although the fact that it is not officially supported was a factor.

I'm getting an ipad mimi 2 as my deticated monito
Looked into this a lot on inspire forums with many saying the ipad air 2 was to heavy for them after a few flights and using it on the controller. Im going for the mini 2 cellular and using it without sim as its not needed for the GPS to still work.
You will still have to cache maps or hot spot with out a sim right? I'm on eBay right now looking for a mini 2 for ATT. Have you found any good deals? Will be using my iPhone 6 and wife's 6+ until I can source a good mini 2. Mini 4 is rumored for October and Shield 2 for July.

Short clip I recorded using the Nvidia Shields screen recording feature. Great tablet for the P3.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Short clip I recorded using the Nvidia Shields screen recording feature. Great tablet for the P3.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
A lot of lag there, shuddering especially when you where panning.
Is the P3 recorded video the same way?

Not at all, video is very good. I was behind a whole bunch of trees, so the lag was just signal I'm sure. I went back and looked at that again, and it lagged more there than when i was 4000 ft out. That is actually a really bad example of what it really looks like, but it was the only time I tried to use that feature. May even have something to do with how I was holding the remote when it was recording.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31