Best method to hand catch solo

Reaction score
What's the best way to hand catch solo? Assuming I've laid the controller down on the ground.

I've tried it before and the only way I could get the motors to shut down was to pull the battery out.

I simply use left stick down to get the bird to hover just above my height but off to the side a bit. Then I step toward the hovering drone, reach up and lightly grip one leg of the landing gear in my right hand. At this point it’s not a firm grip so I don’t fight against the still spinning motors. That way there’s no stress on the plastic. When I’m set, I do a full left stick down on the RC which is in my left hand. After 3 seconds, the motors stop, the drone slides down in my hand, and I give a firmer grip. Very easy to do.

Last edited:
Follow what OSO said above. Your grip should be good else after motors are stopped, P3 will topple and swing down.

Reactions: JoBe
I use ONE HAND and never let go of the controller.... if something happens I want the controller in my hand. In GPS mode and in no wind conditions I will fly it to me and catch it. If it's windy I will keep it 5-10 feet away and walk to it. I grab it on the upper leg of the landing gear.

I simply use left stick down to get the bird to hover just above my height but off to the side a bit. Then I just reach up and grip the landing gear in my right hand. Once secure, I do a full left stick down on the RC in my left hand. After 3 seconds it turns off. Very easy to do.

Ditto

What's the best way to hand catch solo? Assuming I've laid the controller down on the ground.

I've tried it before and the only way I could get the motors to shut down was to pull the battery out.
You shouldn't leave the controller on the ground! The quad will attempt to maintain its position. As indicated above, catch firmly with right hand, then hold left stick down all the way until motors stop.

Be extra careful in windy conditions, and make sure of your footing.

Why hand catch? Assuming you have a spot to take off from you should have a spot to land right?
Not always, at least not one that will provide as good a chance of avoiding a misshap as a hand catch. An example is flying from a beach. I carry a foot square piece of masonite as a launch pad. Perfect for take off and while i can and have landed on it there is much less chance of ending up with sand where it shoudnt be if i hand catch. I also dont like grass seed and other foreign objects on my lens filter. Hand catching is a handy option in many circumstances.

Reactions: Txmedic2680
Are a lot of people doing this regularly? Seems easy but not sure of how dangerous it is to both the pilot and drone.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: tech_fan
I land her every time. I can hand catch if needed I did it a few times just to see. I have never had a need to though. I think it's inherently more dangerous, why take the risk?

Before anyone jumps down my throat and tries to argue that hand catching is not any riskier than landing please think about it. I can land and it can go wrong for a multitude of reasons and I wont get hurt. I can hand catch and it can go wrong for a multitude of reasons and I could be injured. Why bother?

Reactions: solentlife
Easily done, I've literally landed on the ground one single time, every other time I hand catch as described above. I tried this myself my second flight before even realizing it was a common thing to do, it just seems to make a whole lot of sense given that you can bring the bird down to just above head level, walk over to it, reach up and take hold and pull left stick down - done.

Edit: Yes - it's dangerous if you're a *******; anybody with half a brain can easily do this.

I use a tripod so i hover it over me hit the land button on the go app, press confirm then walk under it and catch w/ two hands, hold it still and the motors shut down. You could do this without a tripod too but a lanyard would make it easier.

Reactions: 3rdof5
It's easier with the controller on a neckstrap (so useful I don't know why they don't give you one with DJI written all over it)
I almost always handcatch, even if there's a good level spot dust will be thrown up which could get in motors and gimbal.
Most often here at best you have uneven short grass. If not dusty it will be wet and muddy.
It's often difficult enough to stomp down a place level enough to take off from - even placing the case as a roughly level platform can be tough.

Reactions: Mako79 and dirtybum
Easily done, I've literally landed on the ground one single time, every other time I hand catch as described above. I tried this myself my second flight before even realizing it was a common thing to do, it just seems to make a whole lot of sense given that you can bring the bird down to just above head level, walk over to it, reach up and take hold and pull left stick down - done.

Edit: Yes - it's dangerous if you're a *******; anybody with half a brain can easily do this.

Ditto
If there is one thing I have learned as an employer, it is that you cannot teach common sense.
Some just do not possess the tools to make safety decisions that to some would seem irrelevant.
I know people who I couldn't trust with a manual screwdriver let alone a powered one. Horses for courses.
I used to land always but found increasingly that my home points were grass fields with uneven ground, so hand catching was the obvious way forward. After a couple of attempts I got the confidence to do it every time (and it looks cool too, lol)

I hand catch most of the time. Controller in left hand with neck strap. Turn the Phantom and hover with the battery towards you. Walk to it and grab right strut with right hand keeping your thumb out. Controller left stick down, after it has shutdown use thumb to turn off battery.

Like alot of people have mentioned, dont separate yourself with the RC. You want to be able to take control if something goes wrong!
I hand catch if Im on sand or a place with alot of dust or debris, otherwise I land it manually. A friend gave me som good advice on hand catching. Hover it facing away from you. Once its hovering at a comfortable height for hand catch, allow it to hover for 5 seconds. This will allow you to gauge how safe it will be to hand catch (abnormal drift, drifting from wind, etc). When youre ready, catch it with your free hand and once secure, shut off the motor with left stick down.

Reactions: Jtrjr
It's easier with the controller on a neckstrap (so useful I don't know why they don't give you one with DJI written all over it)
I almost always handcatch, even if there's a good level spot dust will be thrown up which could get in motors and gimbal.
Most often here at best you have uneven short grass. If not dusty it will be wet and muddy.
It's often difficult enough to stomp down a place level enough to take off from - even placing the case as a roughly level platform can be tough.
I agree with this. I have flown rc for many years. I always use a neck strap. Why not? I also use them on all my cameras. Hand catching is easy then. Bring quad close and hover. Walk up to it and pull back on throttle with no fear of dropping tx and fumbling possibly dropping tx. .

The key is to have a neck strap. Once you have it hovering above head height. Walk up behind, firmly grasp back leg & with other hand just hold down on left stick until motors stop. Just rest controller on check.

And remember to keep the bird level after the hand-catch and putting it down. I had a problem when hand-catching and letting the bird go up side down to where I get it ready for the next flight. It messed with my gyros and imu and wouldn't let me do a second flight.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik