Best location for FPV Antenna for Long Range. T-Connector?

Reaction score
So last night i received by Fatshark Patch Antenna in the mail which I promptly tested out. My ranged increased to 1.5km+. I got to about 1600 meters before turning back.

I knew when I turned back I would probably lose video reception, and of course I did. Currently my fatshark spironet v2 antenna is mounted pointing down, but I think the the fact that it is behind the gimble isn't helping the line of sight at 1600 meters. I was wondering where people mount their FPV antenna's to get longer ranger. I know you can almost mount it anywhere and get 500-800 meters, but I am looking to the people going out 1.5km+ and have good reception no matter what direction the phantom is facing.

I'm was also wondering if anyone has ever tried or thought of using a 'T-SMA' connector to mount two antennas to a FPV transmitter. One pointed in each direction to help avoid LOS on things like the gimbal.

Thoughts?

rpsmatconnector-500x500.jpg

Re: Best location for FPV Antenna for Long Range. T-Connecto

jfischer said:
I knew when I turned back I would probably lose video reception, and of course I did. Currently my fatshark spironet v2 antenna is mounted pointing down, but I think the the fact that it is behind the gimble isn't helping the line of sight at 1600 meters. I was wondering where people mount their FPV antenna's to get longer ranger. I know you can almost mount it anywhere and get 500-800 meters, but I am looking to the people going out 1.5km+ and have good reception no matter what direction the phantom is facing.

Just mount the antenna sideways (choose the opposite side to the compass), so it won't be covered by the Gimbal on the coming back. Something like this: (2trickpony's setup)
file.php

I was thinking of mounting with the transmitter facing back but using a T to get an antennas pointed out each side. That way no matter what way it faces, an antenna would be in LOS. Anyone try that?

Here's my setup. I have a 90 deg connector that let's me point the spironet straight down. I bought the extended legs on eBay. Immersion 600mw Tx. I have the patch on my receiver and have gotten 2km so far. Probably would have been good out to at least 2.5km but my battery was hitting 50%

IMG_1106_zpsd8bf8c81.jpg

IMG_1109_zps2dea247e.jpg

Can I ask what cable and patch antenna holder you are using and where you got them?

Thx!

I have almost the same set up and I am wondering with the two channel Boscam receiver, does it use both antennas?

badbrad97 said:
I have almost the same set up and I am wondering with the two channel Boscam receiver, does it use both antennas?

I think so. "Diversity" monitors use both antennas for input and display the strongest signal

jfischer said:
So last night i received by Fatshark Patch Antenna in the mail which I promptly tested out. My ranged increased to 1.5km+. I got to about 1600 meters before turning back.

I'm was also wondering if anyone has ever tried or thought of using a 'T-SMA' connector to mount two antennas to a FPV transmitter. One pointed in each direction to help avoid LOS on things like the gimbal.

Thoughts?

rpsmatconnector-500x500.jpg

I would give the T connector a try and see how you get on.

DO NOT USE THE T connector for the transmitter. The transmitter is designed to operate on a certain impedance and could hurt the Vtx if you add two antennas in parallel which is what the "T" will do.

Tom

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj