Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Best location for FPV Antenna for Long Range. T-Connector?

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by jfischer, Apr 30, 2014.

1. jfischer

So last night i received by Fatshark Patch Antenna in the mail which I promptly tested out. My ranged increased to 1.5km+. I got to about 1600 meters before turning back.

I knew when I turned back I would probably lose video reception, and of course I did. Currently my fatshark spironet v2 antenna is mounted pointing down, but I think the the fact that it is behind the gimble isn't helping the line of sight at 1600 meters. I was wondering where people mount their FPV antenna's to get longer ranger. I know you can almost mount it anywhere and get 500-800 meters, but I am looking to the people going out 1.5km+ and have good reception no matter what direction the phantom is facing.

I'm was also wondering if anyone has ever tried or thought of using a 'T-SMA' connector to mount two antennas to a FPV transmitter. One pointed in each direction to help avoid LOS on things like the gimbal.

Thoughts?

[​IMG]

2. gasato

Re: Best location for FPV Antenna for Long Range. T-Connecto

Just mount the antenna sideways (choose the opposite side to the compass), so it won't be covered by the Gimbal on the coming back. Something like this: (2trickpony's setup) [​IMG]

3. jfischer

I was thinking of mounting with the transmitter facing back but using a T to get an antennas pointed out each side. That way no matter what way it faces, an antenna would be in LOS. Anyone try that?

4. jondrew

Here's my setup. I have a 90 deg connector that let's me point the spironet straight down. I bought the extended legs on eBay. Immersion 600mw Tx. I have the patch on my receiver and have gotten 2km so far. Probably would have been good out to at least 2.5km but my battery was hitting 50%

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. damoncooper

Can I ask what cable and patch antenna holder you are using and where you got them?

Thx!

6. badbrad97

I have almost the same set up and I am wondering with the two channel Boscam receiver, does it use both antennas?

7. jondrew

I think so. "Diversity" monitors use both antennas for input and display the strongest signal

8. 2trickpony

I would give the T connector a try and see how you get on.

9. tom3holer

DO NOT USE THE T connector for the transmitter. The transmitter is designed to operate on a certain impedance and could hurt the Vtx if you add two antennas in parallel which is what the "T" will do.

Tom