Best Image Quality - Inspire w/ RAW X5R or S900 w/ DSLR

Reaction score
Own a Phantom 3 Professional. I'm a filmmaker interested in achieving a high quality image at a reasonable cost. I'm reading up on the Inspire RAW X5R and it seems like a fantastic upgrade option for what we do... However considering the S900 and attaching a Sony A7S or similar DSLR. How does the X5 Pro and RAW camera stack up against DSLR options?
If I could afford to fly our $30K cinema camera, I would but I can't, so I won't :)
Looking for an option to get high quality cinema images but stay around a $5K budget.
Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I saw the footage off some guy with a S1000 and a Canon 5D III with a 24mm lens and it was outstanding, but he said it was a $15K rig too. It flew very well in 25MPH S.F. Bay area gusts too, but he was quite skilled too. For some reason, a Nikon (His preferred camera.) would not link to the S1000 system where the Canon could. Creative Live used his drone as part of their online drone class and was the upper end of the aerial cinematography section.

As to your setup, I don't know if the Sony will also provide an aperture adjustment so I'd ask about it. Seems the adjustable aperture results in better sharpness (The 2 stops from wide open theory for optimum sharpness.), as well as the ability to forego a lot of ND filters. I'd be curious as to how yours performs if you go for it.

Also, there was some questioning of the Canon lens vibration ability (Optical stabilization.) with the S1000 too. Most of the Canon stabilization is in the lens, and Sony a7 body (15 oz. 1080 video.) has no image stabilization in it but the heavier (22 oz. 4K video.) A7 RII does but at three times the price and 42 megapixles too.

I'm curious if the image stabilization method would help with the drone's buzziness, albeit more weight and maybe the newer Matrice, S900 or S1000 for lifting.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.