Best hardware/software combo for editing

Reaction score
Everyone. I'm on a budget and open to suggestions for a good computer for video editing. This will be my work computer. I'm new to both Premiere and Final Cut. I've owned Mac and PC. I like the smaller iMac with the Retina 4K display. I'm looking to stay at $1,500. I want a 4K display and I want butter smooth video editing. I'll learn the rest. Discuss.

Well, I have the same question, but, I have the doubt about which system to use (Mac or PC). Have always worked with pc, and have the impression that video files are better handled (faster!) than with iOS.
On my iMac seems forever to download a large video file. Same file on a pc is assimilated much faster than with with the Mac.
That being said, the other question also comes out: which should be best for video editing?
Believe any pc will beat any Apple pc on speed....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't think it's necessarily that easy to say a PC is faster than a Mac.

I don't know if I can build a PC system and get a 4K display for the price of an iMac though.

Well, that is correct, it depends also in the processor power and speed in the computer.
If you are going to handle or manage video editing most of the time, I guess the computer has to be a desktop unit rather than a laptop... Seems to me that sitting down on a good desk with a large screen will help a lot!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

If your competent with basic PC upgrades, base a system off a reasonably up to date i7 processor. (Dual Xeon if you can stretch to it) couple this with at least 16gm Ram, a 1tb hard drive (72000rpm) and a good GPU (Nvidia gtx 9series), add a monitor.

Then as you can afford or see fit.. Upgrade ram to 32gb, get 1 or 2 SSD drives.

The processor/MB combo should be the best you can afford, with RAM & Gfx card second.. these are the heart of a power system, and will let you hit the ground running.. Th to find a MB that will take 64Gb off poss, this will help future-proof it. The other stuff (storage, peripherals) aren't as important but don't go too cheap or they will bottleneck your system.

Eventually, work up to a dual Xeon with 64gb, Titan or similar Gfx card and a bin load of hard drives set to raid stripe, with a juicy SSD at the front end to give you buffer & workspace. [emoji106] and don't forget the monitor. Consider a 48" UHD Tv as a cheaper alternative to a pro 4K monitor in the first instance as these can be pricey.

I have a pretty nice rig here at home for editing... so I thought.. A few months back I bought a Lenovo Thinkserver ts 140... It is so wonderful and faster than anything I have ever owned... I was so impressed I bought another... It is a beast and can't be beat for the money..... Very well made and totally rocks. With a ssd for the os it boots in under 3 seconds.
LINK

Don't be fooled because it's branded as a server... It's that and more.

I have a Samsung 42" LED LCD just sitting on my office floor I never use. I suppose I can use that until I find a deal on an Ultra HD 4K TV.

Nobody seems to be talking about Mac or Final Cut. I found a god deal on a Dell with this:

• Intel Core i7-6700 Processor 3.4GHz
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • 8GB DDR4-2133 RAM (can afford to add another 8GB)
  • 1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 730 2GB DDR3
What do you guys think?

The only thing about going PC is I can't use Final Cut if that's which way I want to go. Anyone with experience using FCP and Premiere or even Sony Vegas care to chime in?

BTW, does anyone actually use a 42" TV for a monitor? Keep in mind this will be 100% for video and photo editing.

That **** Retina 4K display looks so friken awesome. I want my **** to look that good.

Also, why are 4K monitors the same price as 42" Ultra HD 4K TVs?

Last edited:
4K monitors have smaller dot pitch, better quality panels the tv's. That seems like a decent enough system, tho I'd also spend on a water cooler and a small overclock [emoji6] of you are desperate to run Mac software, research that machines compatibility with dual-booting Mac-Os.. There are a few ways to do this [emoji106] Google 'hackintosh' and Intel i7 to get started [emoji3]

So, a 27-inch 4K monitor is going to look better than a 42-inch Ultra HD 4K TV right?

I hear ya on the Mac software. Final Cut Pro just seems easier to grasp than Premiere. But I can learn Premiere just as easy. I have zero experience with either. I just want butter smooth 4K handling that's all.

Also, why is Final Cut Pro $299 and Premiere Pro is over $1,000? And Vegas is $600.

Would the iMac with th 4K Retina display be able to handle what I need? It's:

3.1GHz quad-core Intel Core i5
8GB of 1867MHz LPDDR3 onboard memory
1TB (5400-rpm) hard drive
Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200

Basically, I see the PC having an i7 vs i5 processor and a 5400 RPM hard drive. And the graphics card is different. I don't know which is better.

It looks like the PC has more power. Plus it's expandable. I can get the PC with a faster hard drive, 16GB of memory and what I presume is a better graphics card plus a 28-inch 4K monitor for $200 less than the iMac.

Last edited:
I would go with the PC, far more powerful than the a Mac you list in every respect.. I started with premiere about 10 days ago having never edited any video before, I can colour grade, chop and change, match cameras, add music and publish to YouTube while rendering/exporting and that's not to brag.. I have a hell of a lot to learn.. Point is it's pretty simple stuff.. And YouTube has a multitude of great instructionals on every video software.. So don't worry too much, apples is apples.. Esp if you've used photoshop (which I also started about 2 weeks ago!)

And yes, I believe a 27" 4K would look better.... However.. 27" won't yield the greatest difference in quality.. How about a dual screen with a 4K monitor and a big 'ol 4K tv to preview/review on? [emoji3]

If you settle for a 5400 rpm drive, be sure to back it up with a tasty ssd to provide a better workspace for large files [emoji106]

I think I'm going with the PC and will just have to go with Premiere. I've used Adobe CS3-5 for InDesign and Photoshop. I can learn Premiere. I just couldn't even get video I was recording to play on my laptop let alone get Premiere to work. With a dedicated machine, I'll be excited to get back into the learning mode. I have to learn this ****. I can't pay anyone to edit my footage.

I'll definitely get at least a 42-inch 4K TV as well to take with me for trade shows and presentations.

[emoji106] on the way then [emoji106] let us know how it pans out [emoji3]

I found a PC with a GTX 960 GPU, i7 and a 1TB, 7200 RPM hard drive that also has an 8GB SSD in my budget. I'm going to pick it up this weekend and use my 42" LED LCD Samsung until maybe there are more 4K options available.

[emoji106] long as the price is right.. Make sure it's a recent i7, and 8gb SSD?? I'd double check that one [emoji51]

[emoji106] long as the price is right.. Make sure it's a recent i7, and 8gb SSD?? I'd double check that one [emoji51]

It's a hybrid drive. Whatever the hell that means.

Last edited:
Means it has an 8gb buffer, smoothing & speeding transactions to the drive. But still mostly just a hdd.. Good for small & regular file retrieval.. Fairly irrelevant for high end video. Would still get a proper ssd [emoji106]

I picked up a PC with a 6th gem i7. Got a good deal. Had to settle on the GPU. I didn't get a GTX 960. I did get an Nvidia GeForce though. We'll see. I can upgrade this system which is good. First thing will to go 32GB memory.

I have it hooked up to the Samsung 42-inch. Since it only goes 1080p, I can't see in 4K yet but 1080p on this TV still looks amazing. I will be able to achieve the look of the Retina 4K with this PC.

Definitely loving the new PC. Now I can see all my video. And while it looks amazing, I need to get more footage.

This PC flies. It's smoking right through Premiere Pro. I'm getting pretty familiar with it. Not bad at all. I'm about 10 scenes into a film I'm making for a farm.

I'm loving my setup. Anyone who owns a Phantom that isn't using at least a 1080p display with some serious hardware should just donate their drone to charity.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr