Best GPS Tracker - RF-V16

Have fun with your tile! But dont get mad if you cant find yourquadcopter anymore. No gps just bluetooth.

A warning to everyone. Don't buy this tracker if you can't find a service that is NOT 3g or 4g. I just wasted my money setting up a Bell Prepaid account and probably wasted my money on this now useless tracker. Sure would be nice if I was given this info before wasting my money.

Steely said:
A warning to everyone. Don't buy this tracker if you can't find a service that is NOT 3g or 4g. I just wasted my money setting up a Bell Prepaid account and probably wasted my money on this now useless tracker. Sure would be nice if I was given this info before wasting my money.
it works on 2g or also called gprs. ofcource it has no 3g and 4g module inside...Use a sim that also supports 2g.
Pretty obvious to me.

@FLGulf: That guy has some units without GPS as well, and not my unit.

It's not obvious to the people I talk to at Bell and Telus. I'll see if I can find a 2g sim card and give it a try.

Update: Just talking to a phone tech and he says it doesn't matter what sim card I use, if the network doesn't have 2g towers, I won't be able to access 2g. The only carrier in Canada that has the old 2g towers is Rogers and their coverage sucks. I'll be returning the product and finding one made for 4g so I can use up the $60.00 I've put towards my prepaid account.

I can hardly believe what you just said. Alot ppl with old cell phone bricks...all on 2g networks.
Try your sim in a old nokia sim, that can only call and text.
If it works on that, it should work on your rf-v16.

Steely said:
This uses 3G/4G. It's described as a PN40. It must be available under diff names around the world. $149 AUD and 65gms. Satellite and GSM. If you want to look at it's Australian version......http://www.readytrack.com.au/products/r ... pabilities

Attachments

• readytracker.jpeg
    readytracker.jpeg
    25.8 KB · Views: 735
Just repeating what I've been told. I'm not a tech. My sim card does NOT work with this tracker. I will be researching this more today to find the correct answer.

Update: The Bell network in Canada does have a 2g network, but it's CDMA, not a GSM network. So I'm GUESSING this might be the reason this tracker is not working.

Steely said:
Just repeating what I've been told. I'm not a tech. My sim card does NOT work with this tracker. I will be researching this more today to find the correct answer.

Update: The Bell network in Canada does have a 2g network, but it's CDMA, not a GSM network. So I'm GUESSING this might be the reason this tracker is not working.
That is a bummer. I checked here in the USA and in my area AT&T has 2g and it is GSM. So, best guess it should work for me. Only problem right now checking tracking it left Chicago three days ago. It does not take three days to get from there to my house. Because it was a package from China they must have pitched it in a corner and will throw it on a truck when ever they think about it. We will wait and see......

Well after three days of my China package floating in limbo, it managed to arrive today. My that RF-V16 is small. Took it to AT&T building looking for a mini sim card. Got one and had to go to WallyWorld for a minute card. Got the unit working with the China-English manual. Leaves much to be desired. Sent it a command or two and got an answer back. This thing would be nice for a child to carry around. They can call you and talk with you or they can push the "panic" button and you can get their location. I set it up in my big front window and the lights showed it had GPS lock. Sent it a text message and in about 9 minutes it sent me a link for Google maps that opened up and had my location about 100 feet East. While looking at the map the little dot moved right over to where the unit was in the window. So it works for me. Just need to keep working on the "manual" and get it set up better.
One dumb thing that must have been a Chinaman's joke is the unit plays a short tune every few seconds when it is charging.
Have to put it in a far away room so you can't hear it.
6/12 update: That short tune while charging quit after the sim card was in place. Maybe it was to tell you, you need a sim card.

Got mine today also and I am more than a little happy with it. It was very easy to set up and worked perfectly during testing.....was inside a meter on location test and the other functions worked as advertised. I activated mine with a T-mobile pre-pay card...activation was $10 and I put $10 airtime on it. Text messages are 10 cents so you won't need to use a lot of time....the only drawback is that you have to put more time on after 90 days but your balance rolls over so basically it's costing you $10 every three months...a small price to pay for a little peace of mind. I used Dual Lock to secure it to the belly of my aircraft and I called it while about 20 feet in the air and I could hear the ring....it will really help if you do lose it and have to search ....you can call it when you get close and listen for the ring.

I forgot to mention that I had to call T-Mobile and have my voice-mail deactivated before it would work properly but after I did, everything fell into place and it works like a charm. I would highly recommend it for use in our hobby.

Hawkeye 1 said:
Got mine today also and I am more than a little happy with it. It was very easy to set up and worked perfectly during testing.....was inside a meter on location test and the other functions worked as advertised. I activated mine with a T-mobile pre-pay card...activation was $10 and I put $10 airtime on it. Text messages are 10 cents so you won't need to use a lot of time....the only drawback is that you have to put more time on after 90 days but your balance rolls over so basically it's costing you $10 every three months...a small price to pay for a little peace of mind. I used Dual Lock to secure it to the belly of my aircraft and I called it while about 20 feet in the air and I could hear the ring....it will really help if you do lose it and have to search ....you can call it when you get close and listen for the ring.

I forgot to mention that I had to call T-Mobile and have my voice-mail deactivated before it would work properly but after I did, everything fell into place and it works like a charm. I would highly recommend it for use in our hobby.

How did you determine it was accurate within a meter? When I track with my cell or view the maps on laptop, the marker is too big to get that accurate. Also if tracker is not moved and you get data from it, it will be constantly changing due to satellite error and which sats in the sky it is getting data from. I have a few nice Garmin hand held gps units that draw a breadcrumb trail as you move. Without moving and after a while it displays a track like it had been moving around . I can call my tracker every two minutes and the data will be slightly different.Not the trackers fault.

It was laying on my workbench and when I checked it, the point of the green arrow was right outside the window in front of the workbench....when I checked it there was 9 satellites visible on my app so apparently it got a real good fix. When I checked it this morning, I laid it outside on a railing and it showed it about thirty feet west of its actual location. Also, there are several cell- towers on hills several miles from my house so I'm sure that helps me get good locations from the thing. I'm sure that it's going to give vastly different locations, according to its position and line of sight to the satellites and cell-towers, but all in all I believe it's going to be more than accurate enough for my use and I'm happy with my purchase.

Glad i could help the community with this.
Its really a small miracle because the tk102 is alot bigger and has much less battery life and constantly needs the "start" text message.

I got a location that was 30 meters off once when it was heavily clouded.
Every other time i got 5 meters accurate location.

Received RF-V16 today, activated on TMobile, set master number, changed language. When I text for status(dsp#) I receive the following: GSM Signal: poor, GPS Signal: invalid; Battery Life: 100%; Operaing Mode: push to talk; tracking: ON

What's the deal with the GPS Signal? Basically, it's not reporting GPS coordinates. Any help is appreciated!

Adam

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31