Best fuel efficiency tests

Reaction score
I've created non-scientific practical test for battery efficiency. Made 4 laps, 2,5km each and three missions with different cruising speed (10,13,15m/s). Everything else was as identical as possible. Those are my first results.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters - 10m/s
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters - 13m/s
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters - 14m/s
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters - 15m/s

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
What data are you pointing out the most in your 3 links?

Well biggest surprise was that 15m/s is more efficient then 10m/s which is RTH speed
That shouldn't be a surprise.
At 10 m/s the Phantom has to support its weight in the air for 33% longer.
I'm surprised the battery use wasn't higher.

That looks like a very good test as it eliminates (as much as possible) many of the variables and allows a proper comparison.
It's often assumed that RTH is 10 m/sec because that is the most economical speed but I've never seen any proof to support this.
You've busted that assumption with this test.

Well biggest surprise was that 15m/s is more efficient then 10m/s which is RTH speed

How do you conclude 15m/s is more efficient?

I see battery left % is highest for 13 m/s after same travel distance.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I concluded the same from the data.

Sorry, thought you were asking a question.

I've not done an actual test like the OP. However his results seem to reflect my real world experience when doing distance runs.

It would be nice to see the voltages each test ended with.

It's difficult to conclude the best speed for the highest efficiency as the pitch angle changes with the wind resistance. Also motors efficiencies vary with load and speed. Too many parameters to define the best operating point.

Here's the real hard data if we are looking at effeciency .. its not just how much battery was used, we should evaluate how much was used, to get as far as it did.

BoiUOPR.png

Little bit more details about test setup. All flights were done when there was no wind or very light wind below 1m/s. Battery was charged few hours before flight. Flight was handled by Litchi from motors start to motors stop without any input from me. I'll do the same set of test flights this weekend to confirm results and then create few additional missions with different speed to find absolute sweet spot for P3P. Then I can test some other frequent questions like are CF props making any difference in fuel efficiency department.

I've created non-scientific practical test for battery efficiency. Made 4 laps, 2,5km each and three missions with different cruising speed (10,13,15m/s). Everything else was as identical as possible. Those are my first results.

HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters - 10m/s
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters - 13m/s
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters - 14m/s
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters - 15m/s

Thanks for that info...as always PhantomPilots always have helpful people trying to inform

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj