Best fpv system for original phantom

Reaction score
I'm new into the quad copter world & recently bought a phantom & added the zenmuse h3-2d gimbal. I was looking at fpv systems to possibly add to my phantom & could use some advice. I would prefer to have a monitor Over goggles! I also don't want anything way too complicated to install! I was looking at the three different storm fpv systems the easy, the standard, & the deluxe any thoughts on these! Finally I hear it's probably better not to go thru ur gopro but to get a separate camera for the fpv system as the gopro might be prone to locking up. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Get boscam setup cheap and it works nice. Boscam TS351 and Boscam RC305, get a cheap 7" LCD on eBay, some cloverleaf antennas and you get good range with about 100$.

Most of us use the net for parts. I do not know what part of the world you live as it is not shown on your profile. I am in the UK and try to get parts here so if there is any problem's I can send back or contact them instead of having sending back to HK or China. The ideal unit to get is a system around about an output of 200 to400mw as this give's you plenty of distance on 5.8ghand are less money, the bigger you buy the more money to pay. If you can find a monitor with built in power supply, like a 7" inch TV then get a mount kit to fit on your Tranny rather than using a lap top. The tranny on the 5.8 I have fitted on the back of my Phantom and used the video from the HD3-2d, do not use the power lead from the video out put lead, mine has a "take off" from the main battery, all plug's into the Go-Pro, the receiver is plugged into the AV in on the monitor to get the picture, by turning the Go-Pro to rec and set with the sound off (cut's out the noise of the prop's) you will see what is recording. This way toy will be able to see both pic's and watch the model flying with out an observer as you may need with goggle's. On FPV web site then have all you want but can be a bit pricey, I will leave that to you, like any hobby it all depends on how deep the wallet is or how bendy is the plastic. I hope this has given you an in-site to which way to go, just search the web and look at what other people have done on this site there are plenty people all willing to help, you never know you may find member's that live local.

Jruleon, mind letting me know what you end up getting? I'm looking for a similar setup...

Jruleon said:
I'm new into the quad copter world & recently bought a phantom & added the zenmuse h3-2d gimbal. I was looking at fpv systems to possibly add to my phantom & could use some advice. I would prefer to have a monitor Over goggles! I also don't want anything way too complicated to install! I was looking at the three different storm fpv systems the easy, the standard, & the deluxe any thoughts on these! Finally I hear it's probably better not to go thru ur gopro but to get a separate camera for the fpv system as the gopro might be prone to locking up. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
I think a fundamental question that needs to be answered here is what you want to do with your fpv? Frame video shots? Fly LOS or BLOS? Will it be the primary way you navigate the quad? How far do you want to go with it? Will you be going around a lot of obstacles/buildings/treelines etc. That might interfere with the signal? There's a lot of good equipment out there, and some are better than others for different types of flying.

I just bought and received a "kit" on ebay from a fellow in Texas. He was fantastic to work with, but I just checked and he doesn't have any more listed.

The kit included a boscam ts351, a 7" 5.8ghz diversity LCD monitor, batteries, and cables. Here is a link to one of his previous listings:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151208612836?ss ... 1435.l2649

Everything is mostly straight forward, but I am going to have to fabricate a couple of new cables - I'm going to create a y-adapter cable to feed power to my gamble and the vtx from the phantoms aux power and I have to splice a couple of cables to get the gopro connection working... Both projects are pretty simple and just require a little soldering.

I tested the FPV kit withought mounting anything and for the money, it works great.

GhostMaster said:
Get boscam setup cheap and it works nice. Boscam TS351 and Boscam RC305, get a cheap 7" LCD on eBay, some cloverleaf antennas and you get good range with about 100$.
correct me if im wrong, im new to the FPV world. Do the Boscam not work with the Hero 3? It looks like most of the kits use a 3.5mm headphone jack which can plug directly into 1 hero 1 or 2 but there is no such jack on the hero 3?

MILLER4PRESIDENT2020 said:
GhostMaster said:
correct me if im wrong, im new to the FPV world. Do the Boscam not work with the Hero 3? It looks like most of the kits use a 3.5mm headphone jack which can plug directly into 1 hero 1 or 2 but there is no such jack on the hero 3?

It isn't a boscam compatibility issue... its just a matter of making sure you have the correct cable. The Hero 3 uses a mini-usb connector. In my case, I ordered a gopro 3 connection cable, but it won't fit my boscam ( connectors on the vtx side are different )... and I have a cable that came with my kit that fits the boscam but doesn't fit the gopro - so I am going to snip 'em and create a cable with the boscam connector on one side and the mini usb on the other.

GhostMaster said:

It works... I use boscam myself with the GoPro Hero3 Black. Use the tarot av out cable, its very light and works fine.

GhostMaster said:

think i answered my own question, this seems built to accomplish that problem http://www.amazon.com/Transmitter-Real-time-Output-Camera-Black/dp/B00G6CDDIW

now further questions, what is the realistic range on Boscam TX's and does it draw a significant amount of power from the battery to negatively effect flight time(besides the added weight penalty)?

GhostMaster said:
GhostMaster said:

It works... I use boscam myself with the GoPro Hero3 Black. Use the tarot av out cable, its very light and works fine.

sorry, guess I replied before seeing your last reply. so if you are using a tarot gymbal there is an AV out cable built into it to put into the transmitter?

I dont have the tarot gymbal, so in my case I would think my above amazon link would allow me to go from a hero3 to the Tx

GhostMaster said:

think i answered my own question, this seems built to accomplish that problem http://www.amazon.com/Transmitter-Real-time-Output-Camera-Black/dp/B00G6CDDIW

now further questions, what is the realistic range on Boscam TX's and does it draw a significant amount of power from the battery to negatively effect flight time(besides the added weight penalty)?

That cable won't connect to the boscam ts351 - that cable only has a 3-pin connector and the boscam requires a 5 pin.

Bunger said:
GhostMaster said:

That cable won't connect to the boscam ts351 - that cable only has a 3-pin connector and the boscam requires a 5 pin.

No it dont... You only need 2 pins and power.

Boscam ts351 range is about 1km+, but with cloverleaf antennas, not the stock ones.
Its only a 200mw VTX so it does not require much power.

GhostMaster said:
Do we need a filter in the phantom 2?

Has someone powered an AV TX without a filter, and did you get any static? I read that this was a potential problem so I just put one in from the start. Is the Phantom's auxillary power lead already filtered?

Joe

Perhaps a silly question, but I don't want any surprises;

The gopro will still record when used as a viewer for the boscam on the Storm FPV (deluxe) kit, correct?
The filter being discussed is for the monitor on the ground for FPV, correct? The recorded footage is not affected by using that mini usb cable, correct?

Hiway said:
Perhaps a silly question, but I don't want any surprises;

The gopro will still record when used as a viewer for the boscam on the Storm FPV (deluxe) kit, correct?
The filter being discussed is for the monitor on the ground for FPV, correct? The recorded footage is not affected by using that mini usb cable, correct?

Correct on both counts.

All of these common FPV systems have similar-but-different servo type connectors for power, video and ground. It can be quite confusing and people get it wrong all the time, even the manufacturers and retailers put up wrong instructions and send out wrong cables and cause people to fry their boards. It also means you often need to reroute the wires in the servo connectors to get everything working. It's a bit of a pain, but being careful about it and double-checking everything before powering on makes all the difference in the world.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4