BEST FPV SETUP

Reaction score
Looking to put fpv on my phantom 2. Whats everyone's favorite setup? Goggles vs Screen? I am leaning toward goggles. Two main uses for my phantom are self promotion of a youtube channel of adventures around the USA and Central America. Secondly they will be used in flying real estate. I can imagine that a screen may be better for real estate especially so that the company can see what is being filmed and ask for certain shots. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I need to have it shipped here by friday so decisions need to be made quick!

Thank You For Your Input,

Adam

Hi Adam,

You'll find hundreds of posts on this forum asking exactly the same question. There are many many options and combiniations and they've all been discussed in depth. Have a flick through the P2 forum and you'll find all the advice you can handle :)

For me I prefer a screen over goggles. It's nice to be able to look up and see the P2 just to make sure I know where it is and there aren't any big trees just out of camera shot! I'm using a ImmersionRC 600mw vTX with Black Pearl monitor and I've replaced the stock receiver and transmitter with a Futaba 8J. The setup works for me but at the end of the day it's down to the individual's preference and what they are applying it to.

I've not seen it myself. The biggest problem with the P2 is weight limitation. Once you get a camera, gimbal, IOSD & vTX on there you are getting close to the 1300g weight limit. Adding additional cameras and electronics to mix the streams into a single feed would be costly in weight I would have thought.....

What are your reasons for swapping out for the futaba? I need something to increase range also. Whats the furthest we can get these things to go?

Also what is the iOSD? I need a tx to transmit down to my rx/atenna, which is hooked to my screen/goggles correct?

Also do you know if I can fly more than one phantom in the same area without interferance? I'd like to send up 2 or 3 at a time and let them just hover in order to film downhill longboarding and mountain boarding.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The Futaba swap for me was a personal thing. I had an 8J handset which I wanted to use so just purchased a R2008SB receiver for it (they normally come with one; I had already used it in something else). The Futaba does offer an increased range over the stock Tx/Rx although you'll find accounts of flights in excess of 4km on the stock hardware. Some people will tell you that it also reduces chances of a Flyaway. With the Futaba you'll be able to get more range than you'll ever use! There are three guides on this forum on how to upgrade to different types, T8FGS, T8J & 14SG. Futaba are the preferred upgrade because the stock Tx/Rx are Futaba so utilise the S.Bus technology making the upgrade simple.

IOSD Mini is a little unit which plugs into the CanBus on the leg of the P2. The video feed from the cam plugs into the IOSD which in turn overlays flight data (altitude, speed, direction etc) and in turn passes it to a Video Transmitter which sends it to your ground receiver (be it Goggles, Monitor etc). It's a neat bit of kit and cheap.... personally, I think it's a must if you are FPVing.

You can fly multiple Phantoms together (all on different Transmitters) as teh Transmitter / Receiver pair (similar to bluetooth) so they won't cross-talk.

Hope that helps?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik