Best flying practices for big cities?

Reaction score
I fly mostly in the city of Philadelphia and was just curious if others who fly in big/bigger cities have tips or notes about flying in the cities as opposed to suburban rural areas. For me I found after trial and error (painful) that I have to calibrate my compass every time I take off in the city (even if only a few blocks apart) because of so much interference and even when everything looks fine then take off and hover very low for a little bit to make sure everything is in fact working properly. There were instances when my P3A would say everything is great for takeoff, compass calibrated and as soon as I take off starts flying all sorts of whack. Basically compass numbers should be around 1500 +/- 100 for my P3P to work well in the city, I've had it acting weird at around 1250 and 1800s.
Anything you guys have to share?

Off topic but where are you finding these compass numbers? I have a P3A

[QUOTE="Askaraboz, post: 666011, member: 27841" I found after trial and error (painful) that I have to calibrate my compass every time I take off in the city (even if only a few blocks apart) because of so much interference and even when everything looks fine then take off and hover very low for a little bit to make sure everything is in fact working properly. There were instances when my P3A would say everything is great for takeoff, compass calibrated and as soon as I take off starts flying all sorts of whack. Basically compass numbers should be around 1500 +/- 100 for my P3P to work well in the city, I've had it acting weird at around 1250 and 1800s.
Anything you guys have to share?[/QUOTE]

Your compass does not require frequent recalibration and to be recalibrating it all the time like that introduces the risk of getting a bad calibration which can lead to bigger troubles.
Go to a (magnetically) clean area, well away from cars, buried pipes or reinforced concrete and any other iron or steel and get a good compass calibration then stick with it.

Reactions: m0j0
I think calibrating so often you run the risk of getting a wonky calibration and really having problems. Get a calibration in a clean area close to where you are going to launch and then leave it alone.

I think calibrating so often you run the risk of getting a wonky calibration and really having problems. Get a calibration in a clean area close to where you are going to launch and then leave it alone.
I tried that and would run into problems especially in center city area where there aren't many "clean" areas. Also I'm often not able to take off because the system would indicate too much interference and tell me to calibrate anyway.

When I'm flying in less dense parts of the city I don't calibrate every time.

I live just across the bridge from you. I can't imagine where you could fly in the city? I work at Temple hospital and have no idea where you go. Don't tell me you fly right in the city, around buildings and such? Just for giggles, tell me some of the places you fly? I would be scared to fly in any city area. Also, don't you have no fly zones all around you?

Not aloud to fly in city's in UK unless CAA reg with permission, wish I lived in USA

I live just across the bridge from you. I can't imagine where you could fly in the city? I work at Temple hospital and have no idea where you go. Don't tell me you fly right in the city, around buildings and such? Just for giggles, tell me some of the places you fly? I would be scared to fly in any city area. Also, don't you have no fly zones all around you?
Idk man I fly all over the city anywhere you can think of, this is one of the last ones from city hall

The only no fly zone I'm aware of is the airport which I don't go near of other than that I fly everywhere.

Last edited:
Best practices? Philly is in more warning areas than I can count in the B4UFLY app, in addition to being within 5 miles of an international airport. After Feb 19 I would fly outside the city.

You haven't done a Rocky flight up the art museum's steps?

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Also I'm often not able to take off because the system would indicate too much interference and tell me to calibrate anyway.
Having the Phantom tell you of a compass calibration error doesn't mean you need to recalibrate the compass.
The compass is indicating that you that it has detected a magnetic field that is significantly different from what it has been calibrated for.
It means (if your previous calibration was good) that you are close to some magnetic influence.
Recalibrating in this area is not going to help you - it could be quite harmful.
You want your compass to be able to work in the magnetic environment up where it flies - not the distorted environment down on the sidewalk.
Don't calibrate there.

Best practices? Philly is in more warning areas than I can count in the B4UFLY app, in addition to being within 5 miles of an international airport. After Feb 19 I would fly outside the city.

You haven't done a Rocky flight up the art museum's steps?
I flew at the art museum many times but haven't done the steps :) Have you?

I flew at the art museum many times but haven't done the steps :) Have you?
I haven't but it would be interesting if you had a camera at the top recording the phantom scaling the steps. Boathouse Row from the Surekill side would be an amazing panorama or video of dad vale regatta, or the fireworks. Fly safe, the FAA deadline approaches.

I just thought the winds in the area would be challenging. Good footage. As far as no fly zones, I see north east airport, and a couple others in the area. I do like the Willie Penn. No problems with police or anything?

I just thought the winds in the area would be challenging. Good footage. As far as no fly zones, I see north east airport, and a couple others in the area. I do like the Willie Penn. No problems with police or anything?
Nope police doesn't bother me at all. But then again I try to be as discrete as possible, just in case. The wind is not much of a factor really, no more than elsewhere imo. If you want to try it in the city sometime let me know.

Wow. Great video. I live in LA, still trying to find places to fly around here. Got my drone for Christmas and so far I only flew it twice :(

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

What would the FAA deadline have to do with anything? The only change is you have to register. It's not like come February 19th they are dispatching patrols to stop drone flying. Pretty sure unless the city in question has passed an ordinance there is not issue to fly downtown. To the OP's original question I fly in Tulsa downtown sometimes with no issues with compass or gps. Not as big a city but still a lot of concrete and high rises. Not sure why you're seeing what you are seeing.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Gary,
FAA has initiated some directives, some are being challenged in court, that must be met by Feb 19. Us UAV operators need to better understand the NAS that commercial pilots are required to know. I believe that FAA will begin taking punitive measures against those not registered and/or endangering others. The FAA set a deadline, will be interesting to see what unfolds.

Go back and read the FAA's statement. The only directive that's currently a law is that the drone operator needs to be registered. That goes into effect on February 19th. The only thing being challenged in court is the requirement to register itself, and so far it looks like that's going down in flames. So at least for now there is no restriction on flying in a major city unless that city passed an ordinance prohibiting it, and February 19th does not change that. I also don't get the comment about understanding NAS like commercial pilots have to follow. Why would a UAV pilot need to understand these if he's under 400 feet, and not flying commercially. If these are the things you want to believe go ahead, but these are not part of the law.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik