Best flight/Camera settings for this shots

Reaction score
My mother works at this museum and has inquired about me taking some pics. I've never flown indoors and have practiced a little in ATTI mode. Just curious if you would and could safely fly it indoors.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1445182186.066748.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1445182199.270798.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1445182210.629258.jpg

I have flown indoors safely but the liability of flying indoors in a museum without a lot of practice would not be advised. Just my thoughts

I have flown indoors safely but the liability of flying indoors in a museum without a lot of practice would not be advised. Just my thoughts
That's why I haven't done it yet LOL. It's very tempting to do it now but I'm being responsible with it. Trust me, it wouldn't be anything dramatic and would be VERY SLOOOOOWWWW.

You could also hand carry the drone in certain delicate situations and record that way. ;-)
Good luck, very carefully.

RedHotPoker

Reactions: scholls22
I have flown a lot indoors. It is fine. Just a few things to watch out for.

In a way it is really easy when you start very still air, just concentrate and stay close.

Now the bad part. Because it is so easy it will make you relax and all of a sudden you will hit turbulence from your own MR. You actually can start a small vertical or horizontal tornado, and if you are not used to flying atti this can be a problem, you have to react fast, but not over react.

I would practice somewhere cheap first, like a school gym. Don't use GPS (Pmode) at all even if you get the satellites you will most likely loose them soon.

I had a fun experience last winter I was demoing my S800 with Zenmuse to a crowd in a school gym, with the video I shot on a screen they could see. Well the S800 weighs about 17 lbs so a lot of thrust is needed to keep it up, this does fill the whole gym with unpredictable air currents. Anyway I was fine, the weight also makes a big drone more stable, less susceptible to turbulence. I was flying all around and shooting the audience.

Now the funny part was one of our club members also demoing flying 3D with a very light 3D fixed plane took off and it became completely uncontrollable in the S800 turbulence, and of course he crashed almost immediately. 2 others tried as well same result. I was just happy they did not get sucked into my S800.

Like I said practice a bit in a large garage or a gym before flying somewhere expensive. It is really fun, my first flights with my P3P were actually in my kitchen. But I have a lot of time with both MRs and model Helis, and often fly those in very small spaces.

You may even consider buying a cheap small quad to practice indoors, it will give you confidence and skills that transfer to larger MRs.

And concentrate more your flying than on controlling your gimbal, you can always make the video pass again if you were jerky, but if you crash into something well...

Reactions: Jogle and scholls22
As far as camera settings. I would use manual and no ND filter (just UV that came stock) I always use log color custom mode- sharpness -1 (or-2 your choice) -1 on sat. This is subjective play with settings till you get what you like.

Use histogram and visual image to set iso and shutter speed, use lowest iso and if 30p vid use 1/60 sec. There are lots of articles on how to use histograms in cameras. Manual is always the best, no hunting. If parts are to light or dark. Set up another shot of those with adjusted settings and then edit together in post.

Use custom white balance set to look good, probably around 3000-4500 it depends on lights. Just make it look as close to the way you want in final video/photos.

It helps to do a lot of short shots moving slowly to create the 3D effect we are always after by moving the camera. And move really slow, as you will be close and fast moves will make video break up. Lost of short great shots are much better than one long shot with awkward moves.

Think establishing shot (wide showing whole room), then some mid shots interspersed with closeups, and then finish up with another wide shot. OK that is film school talk, but it works.

As mentioned by REDhOtPoker doing some shots by hand may be the easiest. Just don't get to close or you will be out of focus. Maybe use a regular Vid cam for some shots mixed in.

I typically only use 3-5 seconds of drone shots for every minute of video. Use it for the establishing shots.

It looks like this was a Church of God, in it's previous incarnation/past life. So there really is eternal life, after all previous. . . ;-)

Aren't we only ever, the temporary caretakers, of Our belongings?

I flew outside our local museum on Friday. Awesome architecture.

RedHotPoker

It does look like a church but was built to be a museum in 1891. There is stained glass in the back and amazing architecture inside and outside. I'm looking forward to the challenge

Buddy...if you take a Phantom 3 in there and spin it up, you've got bigger stones than I do. There's no way on God's green earth I'd fly down there. Just a thought. It's not like it's a 100 ft high, and the gimbal still does it's thing without the motors running. How about just putting it on record, grabbing the landing gear, putting it as high over your head as you can, and walk the length of the place ? Just a thought.

Whoa, IMHO flying in such a "hostile environment" is indeed a very "challenging" mission....it's a dirty job but someone gotta do it. Give it a try & share your video once you have accomplished your mission. Have fun & fly safe! :D

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Despite all the positive comments I'd suggest you not attempt this. The drone will probably not get a good GPS lock and when that happens it has a nasty habit of drifting around, not at all like you are used to. It will often be stable for a few moments, then start to drift, then switch directions. That would be a very bad thing in the setting you provided pictures of. Not clear who would be liable to the museum, but your mother may end up looking for a new job after your visit.

Matt old buddy, you must be bored, churning through the forum threads. Have you dallied with the SIM yet? ;-)
Ah, summer time blues are over, fall has gone by, now we are in the winter of 2016. I would hope the photo session was always only a successful "mission" and only minor wounds were afflicted, no mortalities or destruction of antiquities were reported & many virtual captures was the awesome outcome. ;-)

I wish the OP would post up some colorful results though!?!?

RedHotPoker

Was your Mothers enquiry with you as to whether you could do it- or someone with appropriate authority at the museam that understood the potential risk of property damage? Probably not worth the risk from your perspective, at best it could end up putting your mum in a bad position at work if it doesnt end well and there are insurance issues etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4