Best Firmware for P3A

Reaction score
I've been looking on lots of forums but I can't find the answer anywhere. A lot of people say the latest fw has screwed up their range or whatever. My P3A is arriving on Monday, and I don't know what fw to update it to for it to be the most reliable. Do you recommend the latest fw, or a difference one, and if you recommend a different fw, which one??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I don't think you can fly in beginner mode if firmware on P3A and remote are not match. I am also happy with new firmware.

I don't think you can fly in beginner mode if firmware on P3A and remote are not match. I am also happy with new firmware.

Can I have the drone in 2nd latest fw and remote in latest fw?

You need to give current details on what firmware is in your aircraft now. There is several opinions but the best firmware is not able to be downloaded in the aircraft's anymore. I fly using v1.4.1

Can I have the drone in 2nd latest fw and remote in latest fw?
Yes. You could also just fly with whatever is on your Phantom and remote controller when you receive it.

I am also new and having the same question about which fw ver to use.
I saw people saying 1.6.80 was the last good one before range got shorten.
I recall seeing someone complained about after a ver upgrade, the gimbal shaked won't stop. Saw a video on Youtube.
On Dji forum seems the range problem hasn't been fixed..

And should I still update the transmitter if I do that?
No. Either update both the Phantom and remote controller like this or ignore the update available messages in DJI GO and update nothing.

Yes. You could also just fly with whatever is on your Phantom and remote controller when you receive it.

I purchased the Lightning deal P3A yesterday. I have a P3P and have been flying with firmware 1.4 which is compatible with DJI Go 2.4.1 on an iPad 2 retina. Does anyone know if it matters which version of DJI Go you use with the Advanced or will DJI Go work with any Advanced and Controller firmware?

I think I'm gonna go with v1.4. However, as msinger mentioned, I hope it works with my DJI GO app which happens to be the latest version at 2.8.4.

on a p3p, but am on 1.8 firmware, 2.8.1 DJI go (android) and its perfect. I got 32k out and back with windsurfers. no transmission issues here at all.

Reactions: arcaine25
I wouldn't touch this latest update if you paid me, stay clear mate! Birds falling from the sky, range cut to rediculous range... The list goes on, I'm on the last fw before this latest one and I love it , I easily get 4000m range with no video or rc range issues, dji really need to sort there **** out..... Don't seem like there really bothered with putting out a fix for this latest fw now there flag ship p4 is out....

Hmm... Do you think I should go with v1.4? I heard it's great, and a lot of people wish they could go back to it, so I wouldn't want to waste that opportunity. And then, maybe if it doesn't work well, I could still go to 1.8 (2nd latest).

I'd try 1.4 personally if it were me, I've never tried it..... Then like u say u can all ways upgrade... Just not to this latest crap dji have put out. Some people have said they have cut the range on purpose as the p3's were out ranging the p4's , but that's just say so....

Reactions: Michael Stuart
Hmm... Do you think I should go with v1.4? I heard it's great, and a lot of people wish they could go back to it, so I wouldn't want to waste that opportunity. And then, maybe if it doesn't work well, I could still go to 1.8 (2nd latest).

As @flyNfrank told you yesterday, you'll need to see what you have when it arrives tomorrow before you know your options. Depending on what you get, you may not be able to install 1.4.

Reactions: JoBe and flyNfrank
As @flyNfrank told you yesterday, you'll need to see what you have when it arrives tomorrow before you know your options. Depending on what you get, you may not be able to install 1.4.

True. I'm just sorting out my possibilities. What would you recommend between fw 1.6, 1.7, and 1.8?

Last edited:
True. I'm just sorting out my possibilities. What would you recommend between fw 1.6, 1.7, and 1.8?

What I normally recommend when this question comes up is to just use what you get when it arrives. Unless it's v1.5, you will most likely have no issues. Remember that you can only go back to one level below the highest level that has previously been installed. I would recommend that you should not be in a hurry to make a hasty change that you may not be able to easily undo.

Using what you get when it arrives will give you a chance to check out your new drone for any infant mortality (early life) type of electronic issues, to understand the relationship between the RC, the AC, your mobile device, and the software, plus learn the many nuances of the design and it's features. Once you are very comfortable with what you have, you will better understand the forum discussions about pros/cons with each FW and you can make a more educated decision about which version you prefer. You will also be in a better position to recognize any issues of your own that are introduced when you update.

I cringe when I read about people who immediately update their firmware before they even know how to fly or before they know if what they have is fully functional. Then it's more difficult to diagnose or recognize any issues, and much more difficult if not impossible to go back to what they started with when new.

As always, just my humble opinion. Cheers and good luck sir!

Last edited:
What I normally recommend when this question comes up is to just use what you get when it arrives. Unless it's v1.5, you will most likely have no issues. Remember that you can only go back to one level below the highest level that has previously been installed. I would recommend that you should not be in a hurry to make a hasty change that you may not be able to easily undo.

Using what you get when it arrives will give you a chance to check out your new drone for any infant mortality (early life) type of electronic issues, to understand the relationship between the RC, the AC, your mobile device, and the software, plus learn the many nuances of the design and it's features. Once you are very comfortable with what you have, you will better understand the forum discussions about pros/cons with each FW and you will also be in a better position to recognize any issues of your own that are introduced when you update.

I cringe when I read about people who immediately update their firmware before they even know how to fly or before they know if what they have is fully functional. Then it's more difficult to diagnose or recognize any issues, and much more difficult if not impossible to go back to what they started with when new.

Good advice. Thank you[emoji1]

Using what you get when it arrives will give you a chance to check out your new drone for any infant mortality (early life) type of electronic issues, to understand the relationship between the RC, the AC, your mobile device, and the software, plus learn the many nuances of the design and it's features. Once you are very comfortable with what you have, you will better understand the forum discussions about pros/cons with each FW and you can make a more educated decision about which version you prefer. You will also be in a better position to recognize any issues of your own that are introduced when you update.

Just received it and it's v1.5. I'm going to take it down to v1.4. Is the downgrade and upgrade process the same?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl