Best Device?

Reaction score
Ok I need to get a bigger screen to fly with......phone worked but I want to see everything a bit easier. My question......

Is there a clear favorite for tablets? Android vs iPad?

I want to purchase the most flexible platform with the best options that will let me get the most out of my P4.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Every poll I've seen clearly points to iPad Mini 4 or Air 2 and the most hassle free and popular. Obviously, Android owners disagree and will be here shortly ;)

I have no dog in that fight, didn't own a non windows tablets so went with Air 2 and I am happy with it.

I realize that you're probably thinking tablet, but I recently flew my P4P+ while wearing the Glyph headset. Wow! Talk about situational awareness. Also, you can easily look down at the controls and up at your AC. About the same price as a high end tablet. So you could use a smaller device on the controller and the headset for awesome visual with full head up display.

I realize that you're probably thinking tablet, but I recently flew my P4P+ while wearing the Glyph headset. Wow! Talk about situational awareness. Also, you can easily look down at the controls and up at your AC. About the same price as a high end tablet. So you could use a smaller device on the controller and the headset for awesome visual with full head up display.

The Glyph looks interesting. They get the price down, could be a very popular item. I'll keep an eye on that for the next year.

Thanks. I already own an Air 2 and I planned on trying it. It lives in an otter box and doesn't fit in the cradle.

I will give it a go though. I just wanted to get an idea before I start buying apps, etc. for it.

I keep a list of recommended and commonly used devices here.

Out of those listed, I personally prefer the iPad Mini 4 and the Nvidia Shield K1. Many of the other devices listed are great options too though.

I have a mini 4 love it. However when I take a photo at 3800 it takes some time to load. I wish I had the 32 instead of 16. The money you save isn't worth it.

I tried several android tablets.
Galaxy Tab 8"
Galaxy tab A 8"
My galaxy s5
A galaxy s4
All of them technically worked but the vidoe.feed is janky

So I bought an Nvidia k1 Shield, it should be here tomorrow. Amazon $189

Last edited:
You need to work our your needs.
- Do you want an inbuilt GPS so you can dynamically change the Home Point
- Do you want WiFi or Sim card connectivity
- Do you want an HDMI port
- Are you familiar with Android or iOS?
- How big do you want the screen to be?
- What is your budget?
- Do you have friends you want to maintain compatibility with?
- Do you have any apps you particularly want on your tablet?
- How powerful do you want it to be processor / memory wise?

I had an iPad Mini 2 but I now use an nVidia Shield K1 as it fitted my needs better, but everyone is different.

S7 Edge does just fine for me size wise, and works great in direct sunlight. Cloudy days my Nexus 7 works well.

S7 Edge tap'n

I have a mini 4 love it. However when I take a photo at 3800 it takes some time to load. I wish I had the 32 instead of 16. The money you save isn't worth it.

I agree about the 16GB of memory being a little short. I bought the smaller mini 4 to save a few dollars because this was just after buying the drone. I will be upgrading at some point.

I bought the mini 4 because the android version on my Galaxy kept crashing the app on nearly every flight. It has been trouble free with both the DJI Go and the Litchi apps on the mini 4. I got the cellular version and activated it so it would have GPS and the ability to update the maps away from WIFI. I know the maps will have to be cached when I am away from cellular service.

This is my first IOS product. I am very impressed so far.

It looks like DJi have removed support for the NVidia Shield K1 and the Samsung S7 in the latest list of compatible devices -

Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Google Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, SONY Z3 EXPERIA.

Their support also say that flights made not using 'approved' devices may well void any warranty claims

Now, considering I bought a Shield K1 on the recommendation of DJi support less than a month ago when i was having issues with my Samsung tab to say I'm annoyed is a serious understatement

The Nvidia Shield K1 was never in DJI's list of supported devices. Even though -- it's a great device and I highly recommend it for anyone looking for an Android tablet.

DJI's list of official supported devices can be found on their website here.

yes and they have changed it in the last few days since DJi Go 3.1.3 was released

DJI's list of supported devices has not changed since at least December 9th. You can view an archive of that old page here.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.