Best controller

Reaction score
Can somebody explain to me the what upgrading my controller will do. Will this help with longer flying range? By that I mean the controller will be able to control the Phantom for longer flying distances. If getting a better controller is a good idea, what's a good one to get? I have tried to research things a bit, but I get so much stuff that it's hard to deceipher it all. I do like how the DJI controller does the "return to center" thing. Do they all do this? Thanks for any and all input.

Most transmitters can have the self centering throttle but not out of the box. You usually have to open them up and turn a screw.

The main reasons for using a different transmitter is the ability to do things like set curves on your controls to give more precision. Believe it or not, range isn't a good reason as the stock tx is has a fantastic range of several km.

I use the FrSky Taranis which I've found to be a superb transmitter in terms of features. It's unbelievable how cheap it is too.

Rilot,

Maybe I missed it but what module do you use on the tarranis and do you use the P2 standard Rx?
I have a P2 also and a Tarranis Tx and was hoping to use it with the P2.

Thanks,

Tom

tom3holer said:
Rilot,

Maybe I missed it but what module do you use on the tarranis and do you use the P2 standard Rx?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, you won't need a Tx module with the Taranis, it has an XJT already built in...but you can add an external module if you want to bind to two receivers at once (for 32 channels).

You'll need a FrSky receiver though, the Taranis won't bind with the stock Phantom Rx. I'd recommend the X8R (8/16 channels)

Rilot,

Maybe you can help me out…I just purchased the Taranis x9D with the X8R…planning on using it with the Phantom 2 but also planning on building a hexacopter and using it for that also…any tips on setting it up and installing everything? I have never done this before and just wondering how to do it?
Thanks for your help
John

thedjiguy said:
The upgraded transmitter should give you longer range and more added features such as being binded to multiple receivers.

Hmmm... tx never binds to a rx. rx binds to the tx. Tx has one special serial number, during the bind process it sends that info to the rx, the rx sends a confirmation, then they are bound.

Some more sophisticated binding allows for model match, where a bit in the handshake contains a unique assignment for a specific rx, but , you have to select a different memory slot to bind to for it to work properly. (the protocol used has to support it too)

This is why you can bind more than one rx to a single controller , you can fly two air craft with one transmitter, this is super stupid and for those have tried, my friend Darwin loves you.

NYRangers99 said:
Rilot,

Maybe you can help me out…I just purchased the Taranis x9D with the X8R…planning on using it with the Phantom 2 but also planning on building a hexacopter and using it for that also…any tips on setting it up and installing everything? I have never done this before and just wondering how to do it?
Thanks for your help
John

There was a big thread on here, started by me that had a lot of info on the Taranis including a couple of example profiles. I can't see to find it though.

I'll look for the thread in a bit too, but in the meantime here's one of rilot's Taranis EEPROM's for the Phantom (if not the main one). The file in the attached zip should work for your Phantom as it is, or you can use it as a starting point to customize as needed. It even has a channel set up for gimbal control, with reduced speed for smooth motion.

Attachments

• Taranis Phantom.zip
    6.8 KB · Views: 146
thedjiguy said:
The upgraded transmitter should give you longer range and more added features such as being binded to multiple receivers.

The stock TX/RX has excellent range and there is no need to upgrade if range is your primary interest. In fact, a number of setups have less range and use less sophisticated transmission protocols compared to the stock system. The primary reason for an aftermarket TX is using features like dual-rate, auto-rotating the gimbal, etc.

ianwood said:
thedjiguy said:

The stock TX/RX has excellent range and there is no need to upgrade if range is your primary interest. In fact, a number of setups have less range and use less sophisticated transmission protocols compared to the stock system. The primary reason for an aftermarket TX is using features like dual-rate, auto-rotating the gimbal, etc.

+1 The stock DJI controller will compete with some of the best aftermarket 2.4GHz gear in terms of range. To extend beyond that you'll need to move to something like UHF.

Thanks a bunch OI, I appreciate it…will look into this for sure…haven't messed with it at all…just back from vacation, now back to work…sorry for late reply, haven't been on in a few days…appreciate all the help…
john

OI Photography said:
tom3holer said:
Rilot,

Thanks,

Tom

Tom, you won't need a Tx module with the Taranis, it has an XJT already built in...but you can add an external module if you want to bind to two receivers at once (for 32 channels).

You'll need a FrSky receiver though, the Taranis won't bind with the stock Phantom Rx. I'd recommend the X8R (8/16 channels)

I guess I worded that a bit confusing.
I meant is there a TX module that will fit the Taranis that will work with the P2 Rx??

Tom

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik