Best Controller for Phantom 2 - FrSky Taranis

chipwich said:
Hi, this is my first post, so greetings and salutations.

I've had two Phantoms, P1 and currently a P2 v2. I used a Futaba T8FGs which will bind directly to either P1 or P2 internal receiver. If you have a P1 with the upgrade board for the H3-2D, it is really easy to bind because the reciever's bind button is reachable inside the battery compartment upper right hand side. For P1 without the upgrade board and P2 owners, you have to take the top of the shell of to access the bind button.

However...now I fly with an X9D for everything.

FrSky Receiver conversions for Phantom 2
Since I've migrated my fleet to FrSky Taranis, I removed the internal receiver on the P2 and installed a FrSky X6R. You don't really need the X8R, but OK to use if that is what you have. I have done 3 X6R conversions now, so can do one in about 20 mins. You actually don't need to remove the internal receiver either, but why have the weight and clutter.

Need: 25CM FrSky antennas (available from you FrSky dealer) and double-sided tape

1. After pulling the top shell, you remove the four screws holding down the Phantom's main board. That will allow you to move it around slight to get to the two screws holding the internal receiver. After removing the receiver screws, save them in case you want to revert, especially since they are different lengths.
2. Remove tape on the stock antenna leads and pull them through their applicable holes.
3. Disconnect the two servo cables at the RX. They are hot glued so go gently. Scrape off the bits of hot glue on the ends that will go into the X6R or X8R. I use channel 5 on the Taranis for gimbal pitch, so I connect the NAZA's X1 to port 5 on the X6R, and X2 to the S-Bus port.
4. Pop off the X8R or X6R cover, gently remove the stock antennas, and replace with the 25cm ones. They seem like they don't fit, but with a firm press while gently rotating side to side, they will pop on. They are a tight fit, but I add a little hot glue, because that's how they come from the factory.
5. Use some double-sided tape to stick the X6R to the side of the NAZA so that they are side by side with the servo ports on the receiver on the same side as those on the NAZA, because you will be using the short servo cables that are already in place on the NAZA X1 and X2 ports.
6. Thread your new antennas through the same ports as the stock antennas. Tape as needed.
7. Put the Taranis in bind mode on Page 2 (Model Setup) and while pressing a hex driver on the bind button of the X6R or X8R, power up your Phantom. I'll assume that you didn't install your props because the top shell is still off.
8. After about 10 seconds, let up on the bind button, and power cycle your Taranis. The RX status light should change to green indicating bind.
9. Put everything back together except for props, run Assistant and go through the stick and X1 calibration as you do with any new NAZA install.
10. Optional (I do it). Open your Taranis and convert the throttle side to center spring mode so that hands of your Phanton will stay in position in GPS mode. Takes 5 mins.

How to get smooth video:
1. Add 40% Expo to Aileron, Elevator, and Rudder on the Taranis Input screen (page 5). This will greatly smooth you inputs just off center points.
2. On the Mixer screen (page 6) add 8 sec to Slow Up and Slow Down on the channel that you are using for gimbal pitch.
3. On the Servos screen (page 7) set your Subtrim to place the gimbal in the position that you want when the rotary is at the midpoint or detent. I like to use LS and -25 for this, but of course this is personal preference. Play around with the end points to get the desired motion and max/min pitch.
4. Use a 3 axis gimbal if you can afford one. The H3-3D is not perfect but getting much better with latest f/w.

Hope this helps.

Cheers from Atlanta.
Thanks, Chipwhich, this is very helpful.
Regarding the antennas, why use the Fr Sky 25cm antennas instead of the stock DJI antennas already in place? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but they look very similar.

Also,I was easily able to set the throttle to spring center, but there is some slop in it and I can't figure out why. The other gimbal is totally tight.

Any ideas?

Few quick questions

I believe X8R causes interference:
  • Has anyone noticed this?
  • Has anyone used foil to cover RX or GPS?
  • Foil - Shiny side towards or away from interference?

I have been using the taranis and x8r for about 5 months now and have never had any interference problems or resort to using foil. Seems to work great for me. What is happening to make you think you have interference?

Yes, the x8r is in the shell. I have the 2 brick antennas outside the shell at 90 degree angles. I drilled tiny hole at a seam between the top and bottom shell to allow for wires to go to outside. Some people have bought from Frsky a different antenna without the small bricks at the end so they fit down the legs like original stock antenna. But I used the antenna that came with my x8r(the antenna that have the small brick at the end) so had to drill tiny hole at the seam to allow wire to go outside as the antenna with these small bricks do not fit down the existing holes in the legs. So to answer your question, the x8r unit is inside shell, the antenna is outside shell with the 2 bricks taped at a 90 degree angle. This has worked very well for me. I have sent the bird out to very long distances without ever losing signal. Hope this helps

Howdy,
I have the X6r in shell as well as the IOSD...I am now removing the Gimbal and I am mounting everything outside so I can try Long range equipment.
I ran the Sbus cable out and now I will test the L9R first then maybe a ezuhf.

If you have osd you only need RSSI from the frsky RX.

Re: Best Controller for Phantom 2

Boozshey said:
Taranis is the best bang for the buck without breaking the bank. Has the Features of $800+ controllers!

Yes, mine arrived today. It is a 16 channel, with a catch, and with a module, it can become 32. The catch is their receivers are 8 channels (not sure why yet) and you have to connect two receivers for 16 channels. But, the receivers are inexpensive too.

I was leaning towards a Futaba 14 channel, but this and accessories were more appealing to me, financially. The reviews were great, too. I haven't opened the box, but it sure is heavy. Surely the unit is much lighter. Maybe they included some bricks. More likely a charger, manual, case and perhaps I ordered some accessories that I forgot about. I'll add to this tonight when I open it up.

Edit1: I paid a little more for mine as I ordered it from a company that makes a VTOL plane as I had them set the transmitter up for me. There are likely instructions on that, too.

Which receiver do you have? The x8r allows you to output 8 channels over SBUS and 8 regular servo channels (for 16 total control channels) simultaneously. No need to link 2 receivers together

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers