Best Controller for Phantom 2 - FrSky Taranis

K

Khudson7

Hi Guys and Gals,
After a couple weeks of flying and videoing(is that a word? ), I find it difficult with the stock controller to make smooth videos. For instance when giving it yaw or moving go pro up and down, it is very jerky in its response. I know it may get better with more practice, but I am wondering if there is a better controller out there, that will help making these moves while flying, more smooth. I have also been playing around with post production which I know can help smooth the video out somewhat, but it would be better if I could better control the movement while in the air.

I have seen (with envy) a number of videos here, and am impressed with how professional and smooth they look.

Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Ken

Re: Best Controller for Phantom 2

You are looking for a transmitter with programmable curves. Any of the usual suspects will do this but I would suggest a Futaba T8J as this will bind straight to the P2's internal receiver with no messing about.
If you want ultimate functionality without a massive price, the FrSky Taranis is your best bet. You will need to open up the P2 and install a different receiver though.

Taranis is the best bang for the buck without breaking the bank. Has the Features of $800+ controllers!

Wow, great, thanks so much for the replies. I will look into both of them, although my initial reaction is leaning toward the Futaba 8J as I am new at this and prefer not to have to mess with changing the receiver. But I will check them both out.

Thanks again,
Ken

The new 10j was what I was holding out for until I used the taranis. Now I'm happy I didn't waste the extra money.

I may be mistaken, but the 8J and 10J do not bind directly to the receiver. The 8FG and 14SG do. 8J and 10J are S-FHSS while 8FG and 14SG are FASST.

ianwood said:
I may be mistaken, but the 8J and 10J do not bind directly to the receiver. The 8FG and 14SG do. 8J and 10J are S-FHSS while 8FG and 14SG are FASST.

So if I understand you, then both the Fubata t8j and the flysky would require changing out the receiver on the phantom. In that case, the flysky taranis is looking to be the better bet, price and feature wise.

Also do both have a pretty good long range?
Thanks,
Ken

FrSky not flysky... Don't mix them up.

Yes, Taranis has more features than the dx18 and has an GUI you can use to program the radio via the computer vs on the radio.

Range, no idea, I've had full signal at 600ft. Going to do a range test this weekend at the farm.

Khudson7 said:
ianwood said:

So if I understand you, then both the Fubata t8j and the flysky would require changing out the receiver on the phantom. In that case, the flysky taranis is looking to be the better bet, price and feature wise.

Also do both have a pretty good long range?
Thanks,
Ken

I know nothing of the FrSky. As far as I know, only the Futaba 8FG and 14SG work with the stock receiver which is FASST based. If you have to swap out the stock FASST receiver for something else that isn't FASST, you are arguably taking a step down. The stock receiver is very good and is proven to work at up to 6km of range.

I have not heard anyone reaching 6km with stock controller. Can you link us to these claims?

That's an awesome flight distance for sure. But that controller is modified. How much so I'm not sure I saw him say. But the antenna is in a different location and is not stock for sure.

Boozshey said:
That's an awesome flight distance for sure. But that controller is modified. How much so I'm not sure I saw him say. But the antenna is in a different location and is not stock for sure.

Plenty of unmodified examples of 5km, etc. 3km is totally normal too.

To each their own. But I'm more trusting of an aftermarket one. Besides, I have a P1 so it was a must. Lol

Ken, You asked the same question I did a while back, I had hoped that the jerkyness could be dialed out with gain adjustments, etc with the assistant software. The little expirementing I did didn't help, was afraid of going too extreme on the settings. But several responses were similar to those here. Looks like a Futaba for me after I sell one or two of my kids(will throw in wife too). However, I did install a potentiometer per instructions from this website for the camera tilt (eliminating the lever and pot on the back of remote) and after re-calibrating it worked great, very smooth, slow or fast as needed. I understand the Futaba can do that too. And if I understood response from my post, the Futaba could be set up with different selections of P2 performance,ie a setting for videoing (that word again) giving smooth slow maneuver response, seperate setting for more aggressive flying and a third setting for whatever. This sounds exactly what I need. capt

If it's jerkiness, I turned my gains down to like 80%. Smoothed it right out.

Hey Booz, do you still use the Taranis? Do you get smooth response of the P2 like we are looking for? I like the price, and is it Fasst system?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4