Best Camera Settings

You're welcome. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I tested daily for about 3 weeks, every day, video test after test, pixel peeping and retesting before finally ending with these settings. Be happy to share my findings if you're going down a certain path in your tests.
Nice videos, and useful, might have been nice in the settings one to go into more about iso and shutter speeds, or at least reference the other videos like the ND filters one, just to natter and about completeness. Still well done and you have put in a lot of time that is for sure. Your grading examples are nice but it might have been nice to at least mention how you graded, what software? Did you use the color settings or use a LUT? Please understand I am not criticizing, just hopefully useful feedback. If there had been more information it would have been more complete, at least IMO. Thanks for doing the videos.

Alan

Nice videos, and useful, might have been nice in the settings one to go into more about iso and shutter speeds, or at least reference the other videos like the ND filters one, just to natter and about completeness. Still well done and you have put in a lot of time that is for sure. Your grading examples are nice but it might have been nice to at least mention how you graded, what software? Did you use the color settings or use a LUT? Please understand I am not criticizing, just hopefully useful feedback. If there had been more information it would have been more complete, at least IMO. Thanks for doing the videos.

Alan
All great feedback, Alan. I sincerely appreciate it. It's helpful as I'm often unsure what to address, what not to address, elaborate or not, etc. etc. So.... points noted and again, thank you.

fhagan02:
Thanks for the videos, really nice!
Your comments about getting the shutter speed as low as possible, using ND Filters and using a shutter speed twice the frame rate, do they still apply for action scenes? For example following a cantering horse, a jogger, a motorcycle going over a jump?

fhagan02:
Thanks for the videos, really nice!
Your comments about getting the shutter speed as low as possible, using ND Filters and using a shutter speed twice the frame rate, do they still apply for action scenes? For example following a cantering horse, a jogger, a motorcycle going over a jump?
Great question. To create tension, energy and/or panic many film makers will purposefully shoot at a higher frame rate. It creates a sharp, jerky effect that can be perfect for say, fight scenes or chase scenes. But in the end it's your call. You are the creator.

A quick tutorial illustrating optimal camera settings for shooting more professional video on your Phantom 3.

Thank you so much for that! It definitely cleared up a lot of questions that I've had.

I have a question. Since DJI has updated to their GO app, I've noticed something strange and I wanted to know if you've noticed it too. The camera settings don't always hold. For example:

1)Take a picture with the HDR setting.

2)Review your picture to make sure it is there.

3)Now, switch to AEB (5 or 3) and snap those pictures.

4)Review.

Upon doing this sequence of steps, my review only show 2 pictures; the first HDR and now another HDR instead of the 3 or 5 AEB. I've unistalled it, reinstalled it, emailed DJI, asked people on this forum, but nobody seems to get it.

As a rookie photographer I went to take some real estate shots for a realtor, 5hinking that I had tons of pictures to use for post editing. I was very disappointed when I got home and only had a fraction of what I thought I had.

Please let me know your professional experience with this new app.

Thank you so much for that! It definitely cleared up a lot of questions that I've had.

I have a question. Since DJI has updated to their GO app, I've noticed something strange and I wanted to know if you've noticed it too. The camera settings don't always hold. For example:

1)Take a picture with the HDR setting.

2)Review your picture to make sure it is there.

3)Now, switch to AEB (5 or 3) and snap those pictures.

4)Review.

Upon doing this sequence of steps, my review only show 2 pictures; the first HDR and now another HDR instead of the 3 or 5 AEB. I've unistalled it, reinstalled it, emailed DJI, asked people on this forum, but nobody seems to get it.

As a rookie photographer I went to take some real estate shots for a realtor, 5hinking that I had tons of pictures to use for post editing. I was very disappointed when I got home and only had a fraction of what I thought I had.

Please let me know your professional experience with this new app.

Not sure on this one. I'll have to take a look. 99% of the time I'm shooting video in manual mode so I've not tested enough with photos. Perhaps someone else can help with this one as I'd like to know also.

Thanks for your insight!

Reactions: fhagan02
Awesome tutorial videos!
The
Settings, are those the best setting IF my videos are going to be tweak in a "cutting room floor"?

If your just a weekend warrior that shoots his grandson's baseball games do those setting still work? or would you leave everything on auto?

I'm shooting a game tmrw lol

Awesome tutorial videos!
The
Settings, are those the best setting IF my videos are going to be tweak in a "cutting room floor"?

If your just a weekend warrior that shoots his grandson's baseball games do those setting still work? or would you leave everything on auto?

I'm shooting a game tmrw lol
If you're just shooting for fun and not for cinematic grading or edting I'd set it to standard color, all auto and have a blast flying and filming your grandson! :) And please.... don't fly over people at the game.;)

Last edited:
Hello thanks for all the help, but I missed what size 4:3 or 16:9 and which video size. I am brand new at this and the first movies I am taking are not clear it has the moray I think you called it like digital pixalling. I have every thing else set the way you suggested. thanks for your help, if it has been answered before never mind I will go try to find the answers. I have the Phantom3 advanced

Hello thanks for all the help, but I missed what size 4:3 or 16:9 and which video size. I am brand new at this and the first movies I am taking are not clear it has the moray I think you called it like digital pixalling. I have every thing else set the way you suggested. thanks for your help, if it has been answered before never mind I will go try to find the answers. I have the Phantom3 advanced
I always shoot video in 16:9. The Advanced shouldn't be that much different than the Professional. But I don't have an Advanced so I'm taking my best guess as to remedies for the moire in your footage. (It would be helpful if you could post a screen grab or a short clip of your footage showing the problem.) Try a quick line item test. This is the way I had to do it so I wouldn't get confused as to what was shot with which settings.

Checklist:
Shooting format: 1080p 24fps, LOG Color profile
1. Sharpen set to 0, Contrast 0
2. Sharpen set to -1, Contrast 0
3. Sharpen set to -2, Contrast 0
4. Sharpen set to -3, Contrast 0
5. Sharpen set to 0, Contrast -3
6. Sharpen set to -1, Contrast -3
7. Sharpen set to -2, Contrast -3
8. Sharpen set to -3, Contrast -3

Write these down and shoot accordingly. Each number represents a quick flight test. Try to fly the exact pattern for each test so it's easier to compare each test on the screen of your PC. (For me - I'd start recording from about 3 feet off the ground and slowly rise above the tree line to reveal the sky. Short 20 second clips.)

For me -2 on sharpening softened the image enough to remove or prevent moire and aliasing. Lowering the contrast helps also as higher contrast technically also makes the image more crisp or sharp. So high contrast alone can exaggerate moire, aliasing and artifacts like macro-blocking and pixelating.

Perhaps the Advanced has a different "sweet spot" but for the P3 Pro it's...
-2 Sharpen
-3 Contrast
-2 Saturation
All with the LOG color profile.

Hope this makes sense and good luck.

Last edited:
Excellent job helping out forum members. I think your postings and videos are way above many I've seen. Very clear concepts. I've had about 100 flights on my belt and I have just rushed to get the ND filters.

One question: Will leaving the filters on madly affect photography sessions?...or should I land the bird and exchange filter back to original for photos?

Thanks very much!

I always shoot video in 16:9. The Advanced shouldn't be that much different than the Professional. But I don't have an Advanced so I'm taking my best guess as to remedies for the moire in your footage. (It would be helpful if you could post a screen grab or a short clip of your footage showing the problem.) Try a quick line item test. This is the way I had to do it so I wouldn't get confused as to what was shot with which settings.

Checklist:
Shooting format: 1080p 24fps, LOG Color profile
1. Sharpen set to 0, Contrast 0
2. Sharpen set to -1, Contrast 0
3. Sharpen set to -2, Contrast 0
4. Sharpen set to -3, Contrast 0
5. Sharpen set to 0, Contrast -3
6. Sharpen set to -1, Contrast -3
7. Sharpen set to -2, Contrast -3
8. Sharpen set to -3, Contrast -3

Write these down and shoot accordingly. Each number represents a quick flight test. Try to fly the exact pattern for each test so it's easier to compare each test on the screen of your PC. (For me - I'd start recording from about 3 feet off the ground and slowly rise above the tree line to reveal the sky. Short 20 second clips.)

For me -2 on sharpening softened the image enough to remove or prevent moire and aliasing. Lowering the contrast helps also as higher contrast technically also makes the image more crisp or sharp. So high contrast alone can exaggerate moire, aliasing and artifacts like macro-blocking and pixelating.

Perhaps the Advanced has a different "sweet spot" but for the P3 Pro it's...
-2 Sharpen
-3 Contrast
-2 Saturation
All with the LOG color profile.

Hope this makes sense and good luck.
THANKS so much I will do that today if the wind isn't blowing. Appreciate the help

Frederick,
Not sure you went over this in your color grading video. Since you are using PP CC15 how do you sharpen your videos? I assume using USM if so what setting in PP are you using?
Or..
You don't sharpen your footage at all and the dialed down setting you use in the GO App is the final sharpening .

Excellent job helping out forum members. I think your postings and videos are way above many I've seen. Very clear concepts. I've had about 100 flights on my belt and I have just rushed to get the ND filters.

One question: Will leaving the filters on madly affect photography sessions?...or should I land the bird and exchange filter back to original for photos?

Thanks very much!
Thanks for the kind words. No need to take your filter off when shooting photos in most cases. (Unless you're trying long exposure shots, I'd make sure your shutter speed is at 60 or higher.) If the ND filter is pushing your shutter speed down to say 25 that could result in unwanted blur due to slight movements of the bird while taking the photo during a longer exposure like 1/25 of second.

Last edited:
Reactions: unclejas
A quick tutorial illustrating optimal camera settings for shooting more professional video on your Phantom 3.

Thank you so much for your instructional video. I am continually bothered by Moire and Aliasing on my P3A. You have really nailed it. There are nothing but tile roofs around here so it's moire city.
BTW - I wish everyone (anyone) had your good sense for choices of background music in voice over videos. I can pay much better attention to your words without the distraction of animated beat music.
Thanks again.

Interesting. Thank you. Do these settings still hold true if you use an ND 32 filter or any ND filter for that matter. On sunny or partly cloudy days I use ND 32
Yes these settings are what i use with all my ND's. My experience has shown that an ND32 is only needed for a blazingly bright sunny environment. As a matter of fact I've not yet had bright enough conditions to warrant using the ND32. Full sun on white sand beaches or a full sun snowy environment is what it would take. Partly cloudy I use the ND4 or ND8. Full sun I use the ND16 and the GND16-8 graduated filter.

Last edited:
*Delete if not ok* Hey guys and gals, do me a favor and check out my brand new drone website. http://www.digitalaviators.net/ Just tell me what you think, but be constructive. All of these photos were taken with DJI Phantoms! It just launched so I am still content building. Also, looking for a few other drone pilots to occasionally write a new blog post for it and submit photos to be featured!

Thank you so much for your instructional video. I am continually bothered by Moire and Aliasing on my P3A. You have really nailed it. There are nothing but tile roofs around here so it's moire city.
BTW - I wish everyone (anyone) had your good sense for choices of background music in voice over videos. I can pay much better attention to your words without the distraction of animated beat music.
Thanks again.
I appreciate your kind words. Keep working with your P3A. As I've said, the P3 has a good camera. Not great.... but good. That said it is possible to obtain wonderful results by working around somethings weaknesses. I've found that knowing something's strengths is important BUT knowing it's weaknesses in more important. Keep running quick test and comparisons with different settings. You'll find the sweet spot for the settings that work best for you.

Here's a vid i put together with the settings in the tutorial. You can get decent results so don't give up! :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20